Quantcast

2006 Suzuki Kingquad LT-A450X Burning Oil

ColoRancher

I have two 2006 Kingquads and use them almost every day to get around the ranch.

I just replaced the clutch and front brakes on one of them and while it was down for about a month it started running rough and the gas smelled funny.

I added some Seafoam to the gas tank, air intake and crankcase and it started burning oil with a blue smoke and goint through about 1/2 quart of oil per tank of gas.

I have done compression check and leak down test and both are good.

I have drained and cleaned gas tank and changed oil twice.

Don't want to take the top end off or replace rings when the compression and leak down don't indicate any problems but the blue smoke is so bad I can't ride behind the oil burner.

Any Ideas?

Drain that engine oil and replace it with 4 stroke atv oil. Sea Foam or any other cleaner when added to a crankase will think out the motor oil. If I had to guess, your oil is slipping into the combustion chamber.

My first step would be an oil change with a new filter. See if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I agree with getting rid of the sea foam oil additive.

Given that you have got smoke comming out of the motor and burning lots of oil, you are due at a minimum a set of rings and maybe a piston and barel!

what was the compression amount? do you remember what it was (also if it was hot or cold)

because if you are burning oil, it can normaly only comes from 1 place (the sump) and can only get there from the via 3 ways.

1 pass the oil and compression rings

2 oil blowing out of the engine crank case breather and getting injested by the engine as it breaths air (note: air box will have oil in it everywhere)

3 flowing past the Valve stem seals and running down the Valves in to the combustion chamber.

then there is the long shot idea of maybe you have a crack in your piston, or a broken section under the top compression ring (like I found in a Honda TRX400ES last month) and oil was working from under the piston, behind the top compression ring where it then had direct access to the combustion chamber... The bike started great, sounded great, but would not idle! but only blew smoke with high revs.

The problem was caused by the compression at Idle was blowing passed the top ring, down in to the crankcase and putting air pressure in to the crankcase, then venting in to the airbox where it was blowing a mist of air and oil on to the air filter (then back in to the motor and stall the motor after about 15 seconds)

anyway, it would seem that off fuel may have been your initial problem because it was stored for a month. but then the sea foam has changed the lubrication propertys of your oil and hurt your rings and maybe your barel.

If you do chose to pull down the motor and check the piston and rings. Do take out the exhaust vales and clean the valve seats and top side of the exhaust valves, because they will by now be very dirty and not seating properly.

it will be no good pulling it down and not having it working properly after some new rings.