Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

justenmiller09

1988 kawasaki klf300 bayou no start

I just rode my klf 300 all day yesterday, and today when i went to unload it it would not start. When i took the plug out to check for spark it only produced a very faint weak looking spark and it was not consistant with rolling over, is this from a bad ignition coil or could it just be a loose conection somewhere?

Welcome to the site, it could be a loose wire, CDI, Stator... Start by double checking all connections.

Definately check wires, connections, grounds and test ignition components like Bot said. Make sure that the spark plug boot has a good connection to the coil wire. Also check to see that your flywheel key hasn't sheared off, that will cause inconsistent spark that is out of time.

BTW, I think this thread may be better placed in the Kawasaki forum.

Thread moved to manufacturer forums.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Steven Workman
      So I have a Honda Fourtrax 300 year 1988. The ignition doesn’t start it with no sound. The headlights won’t turn on. It has a brand new charged battery, fuses are good, oil is good, gas is good, reverse is rusted, it shifts good, won’t jumpstart but when you try it will turn over, it will start if you jump the solenoid give it gas and spray starter fluid on the breather but it won’t stay on long but will stay on for the little time it does by itself. I don’t know what’s wrong and I need help!
    • By RockOn
      So I bought a 2001 Quad Runner 250 for my son/wife. Sorry I run a Grizzly 660.
      I’ve rode it many times with no issue.
      My son’s first time out, I could always hear him but feeling he ran it red line in first gear a lot.
      So this is what it was doing during/end of the 2-3 hour ride:
      - halfway though noticed smoke (oil) coming from front of the motor sort of under exhaust manifold. Once back at the truck, it was really noticeable. Definitely oil burning off. I’m thinking from the top end maybe.
      So quick inspection:
      - No leaks or seepage of oil that I could see
      - I pulled the plug and it’s black but not wet
      - No blue/white smoke in exhaust
      - seems to still ride fine
      - Engine still has plenty of oil
      But now that I’m looking at it back at the house - it’s a hard/won’t start when hot. It starts right up cold no problem but once it stalls when hot, have to let it sit for 10-15 before it will start again.
      It wasn’t idling before that trip so I jacked up the idle a bit as well but I think that’s a carb clean/adjustment but...
      Any input is appreciated.
      Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • By ATVPete
      I replaced the main , pilot and starter jets and it will not start , it wants to try and start , this is a fuel issue I think , what part of the carburetor might be plugged up if it will not start , any ideas

2008 Honda TRX450R
    • By Michael Trinity
      Hey there.  I have a problem with finding the rite sparkplug for my 2007 xtreme typhoon 125cc.  No one or place has been able to find the right spark plug for it.  Im hoping someone here may have an idea or can point me in the right direction of where to find one.  The old one said ac 108 and one guy at an auto parts store said it was a 10mm spark plug.  Dont know if that was rite or not.  Also if anyone knows of a website i can download the manual for it, that would be very helpful as well. 
    • By Aaron Skinner
      Hi All...
      ok ive brought my son a Apache 100cc quad bike ans it seems to have a spark issue..
      When i got it i couldnt get a spark then i messed around with it and got a spark and got it running, then it just died after 30 mins, now no spark so i replaced spark plug, ignition coil, cdi, ignition switch, stator and regulator and got a spark again now its gone again? 
      Ive check the wiring to see if any loose connectors, cant start by electric start because the starter clutch is broken so can only kick start it and thats a pain as it sometimes slips ( needs new teeth on it)
      the kill switch us 2 wires that are just loose no switch anymore as it broken and the other wires i think are for the lights and the electric start lever which is now broke
      Im crap with electrics so not sure how to trace and test
      also my new stator has 6 wires instead of 5 so i am unsure how to wire it, see pictures of mine the correct one and the other off ebay which they say to re-wire
      any help with this guys?

• Similar Tagged Content

• By alexcross324
      Hi all, I try to find this manual in the threads but you have a lot of stock here
      Cannot find this particular manual.
      I found it for YFM200 but not sure if they are the same.
      Thanks if you could help me with that.
      Im new here so if I did something wrong, please tell me.
    • By alexcross324
      Hi all, my second post here
      I got an old Yamaha 88 moto 4 and I have a problem with my overflow hose from the carb.
      When I put the gas switch to ON a big amount of gas is leaking from the overflow...so I start using my quad with the gas switch to RESERVE wich is also leaking but less than in ON position.
      I dont ride a lot..but in a week I empty my gas tank.
      Strange.
      I never clean my carb because Im new to quad world and dont have the service manual...so I need you point of view.
      Thanks guys!
    • By pizzaman_288
      How hard is it to change the outer seals on the rear differential mine are leaking fluid and I have no idea on how to change them out any help would be great thanks
    • By mmgood
      Just bought a 1987 bayou 185 frame and body great shape but have to rebuild motor does any one here have a manual for a 1987 kawasaki bayou 185 ? if you you do please let me know.
    • By Ironfist104
      My wolverine has a new carb kit, new battery cranks over and over take it to the point of killing the battery to start sometime.... but it I give a tug on the start rope while I'm cranking it with the starter it fires right up.... any advice?