Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

fender13bender

660 Yamaha grizzly Into 450 Yamaha Kodiak Engine Swap

Just a quick question, I was wondering if anyone knows if a Grizzly 660 motor can be fitted into a Kodiak 450? My motor needs rebuilt and I figured I would see if that could be done instead. Basically will it fit, work, and can be used with the same transmission?

What year is the Kodiak? Since the transmission and the motor are encased in the same body, you don't need to worry about the Kodiaks transmission, the Grizzly motor will have its own. As far as fitting the 660 motor in the Kodiak, where there is a will there is a way, people put 4cylinder streetbike engines into sport quads. The question is not so much will it fit and work, but can YOU do it.

Alright thanks, it's a 05 auto 450 4X4 IRS.

Could it be done fairly easily and I would like everything to work correctly, like my stock screen and such.

Where's the best place to find a motor?

I had an '04 Kodiak, nic emachine. This is a first, but I think it may work. I would check out diagrams of bolt patterns, etc...first. Go to a site like BikeBandit and look at the two machine's engine diagrams. Bolt pattern is the first thing to look at.

Ajmboy has a good point, those motors could be very similar, especially on the bottom end. I would search ebay for a good motor, just make sure that you only buy from people with an excellent sellers rep. As far as it being easy, unless the engines share the same engine case, no, it probably wont be easy. Most engine swaps require a good amount of planning, fabrication and you need to be able to improvise. You will most likely need to be able to weld, or know someone who can.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Mudrecon
      Haven't got a service manual for this yet so I'm flying by the seat of my pants I made myself a shifter extension to go up by the gas tank took my foot shifter off to weld it and now when I put it back on I don't seem to be able to find neutral. Is there some asinine reason that you have to do something internally when you change or remove the foot shifter? It was a simple take off weld put back on and dog bite my pecker it's not working. I hope this is something simple I've done and that's something I need brain surgery for. Cheers fellas I know y'all will have the right answers
    • By Gilbey
      Anyone have any good ideas to clean the gear position sensor on 2007 250 Sunl atv? Getting some false readings that it is in
      neutral...
    • By chuckufarlie
      I have a 2018 Kodiak 450 EPS that just this past Sunday I ran through a bit of water.
      After the puddle the belt was slipping, so I pulled over and drained the ultramatic housing and the slipping problem went away. This was all in L and everything seemed to work fine. Later when I got on a road, I put it in H, but it still rode like it was in low... i.e. I had to rev it up a lot just to get to 30mph.
      When at home I pulled the ultramatic cover off to inspect, and it looked okay in there. Not much dirt, belt and everything are clean, but when I rev up the engine (with cage in place, of course), the belt doesn't get to the top of the clutch (maxes out about an inch or 1.5" from top of clutch, so maybe it is normal).. I put it back together but same thing... H seems like L still.
      Do you think the clutch needs to be further dissected for cleaning, or could this be an issue with the gear selector?

• By chuckufarlie
      So I rode my 2018 Kodiak 450 through a bit of a puddle and got water in the ultramatic casing... drained the water but the quad still fails to reach top speed so I figured it's time to pull the sheaves and clean them out.
      When I pulled the primary sheave off, this rubber piece fell out that I can't find anywhere on the parts diagram nor where it might have come from. Any ideas?
      Note, it looks worn down on an angle, so wherever it came from it might have been jammed in the sheave and that could have been what was preventing me from reaching higher speeds.
      Any help is appreciated.

• By RockOn
      So I bought a 2001 Quad Runner 250 for my son/wife. Sorry I run a Grizzly 660.
      I’ve rode it many times with no issue.
      My son’s first time out, I could always hear him but feeling he ran it red line in first gear a lot.
      So this is what it was doing during/end of the 2-3 hour ride:
      - halfway though noticed smoke (oil) coming from front of the motor sort of under exhaust manifold. Once back at the truck, it was really noticeable. Definitely oil burning off. I’m thinking from the top end maybe.
      So quick inspection:
      - No leaks or seepage of oil that I could see
      - I pulled the plug and it’s black but not wet
      - No blue/white smoke in exhaust
      - seems to still ride fine
      - Engine still has plenty of oil
      But now that I’m looking at it back at the house - it’s a hard/won’t start when hot. It starts right up cold no problem but once it stalls when hot, have to let it sit for 10-15 before it will start again.
      It wasn’t idling before that trip so I jacked up the idle a bit as well but I think that’s a carb clean/adjustment but...
      Any input is appreciated.
      Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By chuckufarlie
      I have a 2018 Kodiak 450 EPS that just this past Sunday I ran through a bit of water.
      After the puddle the belt was slipping, so I pulled over and drained the ultramatic housing and the slipping problem went away. This was all in L and everything seemed to work fine. Later when I got on a road, I put it in H, but it still rode like it was in low... i.e. I had to rev it up a lot just to get to 30mph.
      When at home I pulled the ultramatic cover off to inspect, and it looked okay in there. Not much dirt, belt and everything are clean, but when I rev up the engine (with cage in place, of course), the belt doesn't get to the top of the clutch (maxes out about an inch or 1.5" from top of clutch, so maybe it is normal).. I put it back together but same thing... H seems like L still.
      Do you think the clutch needs to be further dissected for cleaning, or could this be an issue with the gear selector?

• By Steven Alter
      I have a 2018 450 and the digital gause has started flashing on an off while driving. The backlit also goes on and off. It is worse when I hit the gas. The battery died a few weeks ago and I jumped it but its been fine until last night. Called the dealer and showed them a vid and they recommend replacing the gauge and its like 600 bucks. The machine has less than 100 hours on it. I would really hate to have to change it out. also the unit sometimes has trouble starting. Any ideas?
    • By Admin
      View File 2014 Arctic Cat 450 ATV Service Manual
      2014 Arctic Cat 450 ATV Service Manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 02/08/2019 Category Arctic Cat ATV  
    • By Admin
      2014 Arctic Cat 450 ATV Service Manual
    • By colin james
      View File 2017-2019 sportsman 450/570 with eps factory service manual
      This  is the factory service manual for the 2017-2019 factory service manual for the sportsman 450/570 with electronic power steering 

Submitter colin james Submitted 09/06/2018 Category Polaris ATV