Quantcast

Whats the difference between a DOHC and a SOHC motor?

SOHC stands for Single Overhead Camshaft. That means that there is only one camshaft per header. Inline engines will contain one camshaft. V-type and/or flat will contain 2 camshafts. For a SOHC engine there are usually 2 valves per cylinder but there can be more with the addition of cams for each valve.

DOHC stands for Double Overhead Camshaft. Now there are 2 camshafts per header. So in an inline there are 2 camshafts because there is only one header, but there is 4 in a V-type or flat engine. These DOHC engines usually have 4 valves. One camshaft for the exhaust valves and the other for the intake valves.

Advantages to having a DOHC engine over a SOHC is that the engine has twice as many intake and exhaust valves as a SOHC motor. This makes the engine run cooler and more smoothly, quietly, and efficiently. But the downfall is that DOHC engines cost more for repairs.

More info on SOHC Engines Vs. DOHC Engines

DOHC- dual over head cam, has 2 cams, one runs the intake valves and the other one runs the exhaust valves. the only disadvantage to dohc is the cost if you ever decide to put bigger cams in, you would have to buy 2 of them

SOHC- single over head cam, one cam has both intake and exhaust lobes on it

Most, but not all SOHC motors are 2 valve enginges. For example, Honda uses a SOHC head with 4 valves on some of thier machines. Each intake valve is directly actuated by it's own lobe in the cam and the exhuast side uses a two fingered roller rocker arm to actuate the 2 valves on that side. This way you get the benefit of 4 valves per cylinder without all the extra moving parts. Many three valve motors use a two fingered rocker arm to actuate 2 valves off one cam lobe. The only real downside is that it puts more pressure on the cam lobe when it has to lift 2 valves instead of one, which causes the lobe to wear down faster. That is why it is best to use a roller rocker like Honda does to reduce friction.

Edited by DirtDemon

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By kiriyaaoi
      Hello everyone, I just picked up an 02 LT-F250F the other day and have been in the process of tearing it down to fix some stuff- one of which was the cylinder base gasket leaking like a sieve. Well, I know why that is now, and I also discovered that someone had been in there before. I didn't take pictures, but it looks like it was probably run low on oil at some point, the cam journals and the "bearings" (for lack of a better term) in the head and the valve cover are totally wiped out, very deep grooves.  From what I know it's very difficult to repair aluminum in this way, so I'm trying to figure out where to go next.

1. Have someone grind down the head and valve cover and fit actual bearings in since the aluminum is screwed, and have the cam ground down to match.  I have no idea what this would cost.
      2. Buy a replacement head+cam+valve cover.

#1 I was hoping someone might have some advice on, but #2 seems like it'll (probably) be the more cost effective option.  However I'm running into some difficulty, it seems like the 2001 and 2002 models specifically use a different head part number,  11100-19B10, instead of  11100-19B01 like for all earlier models.  What exactly is the difference between them? There are obviously far more of the earlier heads because it ran for over 10 years.  Are they actually interchangeable? I've also noticed there are heads from the LT250EF that has 4 valve heads but also otherwise look identical.  Would those work as well possibly?  I'd like to not have to drop $500 on machine work or new heads on a $1300 quad that I'm already putting a bunch of new parts on.  Oh, and it has a new piston and the cylinder itself looks pretty good too, as I said someone was in here before me.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll post pics of the carnage tomorrow.

• By Spritee1
      polaris 2008 50 outlaw automatic: got the 50 for free. would only run with chock on, replaced the carburator with new. I can't get the unit to an idle where the machine doesn't move forward. if I do get it to idle down within a few moments it will die. got something to try?
    • By Dgafchikk
      Whats the difference in the red honda atc engine and the black honda atc engine?
    • By garysaul
      Rear brake pedals very soft,I think all of a sudden as the kids have been riding this one.
      Changed pads-calipers in great shape
      Bled brakes--no change--apparently need new master cylinder?
      Never had any type of vehicle where the master cylinder actually failed
      Partzilla-$144---amazon $25 --has anyone used a chinese one 

• By Charlesawest936
      Hey guys iv kinda gotten myself into a pickle here and hopefully someone that really knows about these kodiaks will chim in please. Anyways whats going on is iv got a Kodiak 450 that was stuck in gear when i bought the bike. Stuck in gear meaning that the transmission was locked up. The motor still ran good it just wouldnt move. So i pulled the engine and split the case and found that 3 gears had teeth broken off of them. And might i add, the metal that these gears are made of is complete trash! Well at least the metal that my original gears are made of are but the gear-set that i ordered the metal looks to be made of a completely different material. Not sure if this is the correct word for it but i wanna say "Pot metal" is what im thinking iv heard that be called before it has like air bubbles throughout the whole thing it looks like. Anyways my issue is that the gearset that i ordered looks almost identical all except 2 of the gears the ones that the chain goes on which drives the output shaft that runs the middle drive gear so i found a chain thats supposed to be for a kodiak 400 since those are what gears i bought that didnt come with the chain. I was just assuming that the good chain that i had was going to fit the new gears. Does anyone know anything about the transmissions in these bikes that wouldnt mind helping me out? The 400 chain should be here in the next couple days when i get it ill let yall know if it ended up fitting the gears i have or not