Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

nepa32male

1996 polaris xplorer 400 clutch cover

The centrifical clutch cover on my 1996 xplorer 400 4x4 has been vibrating alot lately an now the clutch housing inside has been rubbing the cover while idling. I took the cover off an its not cracked an the belt will need to be replaced soon but still very useable. If i manually pull the housing out away from the engine while it runs it doesnt rub but if i let it go on its own it rubs. Is there a bracket behind the whole case on the motor that maybe wore or the rubber gasket inside the housing spueezed too much over time that the cover is now too close?

My father-in-laws was the same way he has a polaris scrambler 500 and we just replaced the cover from ebay. I think is what happens is that it was once heated and heat will shrink the housing so that is the knowledge that i had found please let me know how u make out.

I was thinking the same, has it got really hot? Possible it has been warped a bit from the heat over time.

never overheated an its exposed so well an just recent longest i rode it in the past 2 months was 10 minutes just around the yard to charge the batt

i have had the same problem with my 94 polaris 400L... turns out my inner clutch cover was old and worn out and it had play in it....besides that the engine had a broken mount so it vibrated a lot which caused the cover to move an rub up against the primary clutch which just hacked my cover to bits.

motor is tight an no broken mounts so must be the age of the cover . the clutch only rubs when its idling.

that was exactly what my father-in-laws was doing and we replaced it and has had no problems i hope u get it fixed. good luck let me know how u make out

Ive seen them shrink from heat but most of the repairs ive done the motor mount between the motor and trans. is broken letting the motor to move and rub on the cover Like Outlander said....

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Steven E
      Hi
      Anyone else with a 2017 sportsman with EPS, experiencing hard lock up with the CVT clutches.
      As compared to my friends 2006 Polaris 500 HO they seem to be a lot smoother engagement.
      Any ideas or is this normal for this model.   
    • By crochet homemade
      I have bought a 1996 suzuki king quad 300 and I have noticed that it smokes but I have put oil in it and plenty of gas had to fix shifter bc the nuts and bolts came out somewhere. I have had to replace the wire for the starter but now when I try to start it it wont idle at all and when it does run it smokes really bad like a whitish blue I guess, and it likes to stall a lot. So anybody can help me out please and thank you

10000000_310855426253462_714534016610467840_n.mp4
    • By basmn
      A friend has a 07 trx 400ex..the engine drain bolt housing has a couple of cracks where the drain bolt threads in and is leaking oil...a one had any luck sealing this area with JB weld or something similar ?
    • By colin james
      View File 1996-1998 Polaris Big Boss 6x6 Service Manual
      This is the factory service manual for the Polaris big boss and other ATVs for the years 1996/1997/1998. You can download sections that you need or just download them all for the complete manual
      Submitter colin james Submitted 05/02/2019 Category Polaris ATV  
    • By JacobSlabach
      got 7 atvs off CL recently for a good price.  one of which is a yamaha warrior.  anyone know where the vin is printed on this bike?  Haha good place to start as I do not know year or size yet.  The former owner says needs exhaust ans and clutch work.  he said it ran fine until the clutch cable broke and then I couldn't get the new cable adjusted right and it would grind gears.  things I see:  clutch cable locked up again, no brakes, carb leaking (green with algae around the bowl and has gelled gas stalagtights on it), aftermarket exhaust melted the airbox so I need something different and a new air box.  I would like the use the current exhaust if I can but I have a feeling its a redneck fix as it looks like there is an ace bandage holding it to the exhaust pipe (its an aftermarket slip-on exhaust), so I'm not sure about that- lets get the bike running first.  also, battery (looks brand new, what a shame) is dead, 0 volts.  Otherwise, bike looks to have not been wrecked, and plastics are ok (it sat outside under a 'tarp' for 3+ years since it was run last).  any tips and advise on where to start first would be awesome as this is my first clutched bike (manual).
      the clutch is my main concern- I've never rode a clutched bike so I dont even know what its supposed to feel like.  lol I'm spoiled on my automatic polaris 
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Billie
      :confused:need a repair manual or help in what to look for thank you Bill
      for you muddober to make clear to you the neutral light and the gear light
      do not light up win shifting fuses are good Iuse my CAt for hunting im dissable the atv is my leag s thank you
    • By Beb1041
      Looking for a download of a manual
    • By kiwisteve
      Hi Folks
      MY Ltf 400 has power and electric start turns motor over, but wont start...
      seems no spark
      im told stalled in paddock and wont start again
      any suggestions please
    • By izzydum1
      Any ideas on what would make a coil not fire? She was running fine, then began slow start. Now wont start at all.
    • By warkcol
      I am having an issue where it sounds like the gears are slipping if I hit the throttle really hard and also after letting off when the engine brake is applied. Also, the drive train that goes to the front also rides again the gear shift box. I will attach pictures and a video here shortly.
      Thanks in advance!
      [ame]
      [/ame]https://postimg.org/image/cdlu6fza9/