Quantcast

2002 Quadrunner 500 4x4 Transmission issue

Mudflap64

Ok, I'm new to this forum and the 4 wheeler world. I have a 2002 LTF500F 4X4. The problem is this thing is VERY difficult to get it to shift from 1st to 2nd gear. :no: It seems hard to downshift sometimes but it's usually during upshift. Upshifting past 2nd seems to be ok. How can I help this issue or is it going to turn into a teardown issue? Is this common? Could using a lighter weight oil help? Any guidance is appreciated.

Unfortunately, the most likely cause of your problem is a bent shift fork, and that would mean a complete teardown of the motor to fix. I don't think changing the oil viscosity would help any, I would stick with what Suzuki specifies for use in your climate. You might look at any bearings or bushings that are on the shift shaft or the ratchet mechanism that will be behind the side cover on the side of the motor opposite the shift lever. You may get lucky and find the problem there, but I think the fork is more likely to be the problem. Good luck, I would suggest a manual if you don't already have one.

I'm not surprised, I'd rather not tear it down till spring. I was hoping to get a "quick fix" or "baby it" suggestion. I'm looking for a full service manual now and noticed that it does rattle quite a bit in third gear. Having just bought it I was NOT planning on getting so friendly with it so soon. My instincts say it needs to be looked into as well. SIGH..........

Well good luck with it, given the rattle noise you described, it might be a best to leave it be until you figure out for sure what it is. The rattling may be a gear not fully engaged, also a sign of a bent shift fork or other internal tranny problem. It would be a shame to mess something up even worse by riding it before it gets fixed. Is the cold weather your reason for wanting to wait until springtime to work on it? It still may be worth your time to look at the ratchet mechanism, you do not have to split the case halves to see that. When you find a manual too look through, you will probably get a better understanding of what your problems could be.

If I don't have to split it.......then by all means I will check it out. I don't want to tear it all apart and have it dead all winter. I also don't want to run it with a plow and bust a case! I messed with it a bit today and it shifts really easy when it's in low range. I'm suspecting it may have something to do with the HI-LOW area of the transmission. I need to wait to get the manual to see how it relates to the internals. Shift fork sounds right but i guess i'm reluctant because of the cold. It's my luck. It does seem to be fine in low range......just no full speed runs down the driveway. :no:

The fact that the machine shifts easily in low-range makes me less likely to think that a shift fork is the issue, but I would not rule it out as a possibility. You may be right about the problem being in the range selector. Could be that the gears aren't fully engaged into high range. That could be as simple as a linkage adjustment. However, it is also likely that the gears will naturally shift easier in low range because there is less tension on the tranny gears in low range. I would start with the most simple and least costly solutions first to rule them out before taking anything apart. Once again, I think that you will find that you will be able to come up with your own ideas once you get a manual to read through and get an understanding of how this machine works. You seem like an intelligent person judging by the few words you have posted here, so I think you will be able to figure it out ok. We will also be here to offer anything we can to help you out. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks Josh, I'll keep this post updated. I hauled some stuff back to the barn with the trailer and it seems to be getting better as I use it. (lightly) The front diff makes some noise in 4WD and the rear diff fluid looks like mud. I'm going to do a full fluid service and adjustments per the owners manual. Trying to find a good service manual for an 02 is harder than I thought it would be.(without spending a fortune) Clymers only lists 1998-2000. I'm just going to keep things simple right now, at least till after the holdays. This may just be a case of ridden hard and put away wet. :skeptic: I'm not buying a plow until it rides better. :no:

• 1 month later...

UPDATE.......I did all the lube service and cleaned her up quite a bit. I need to check the front bearings in spring but that can wait. It's still picky getting to second gear but not nearly as bad as it was. I'm preparing to pull it apart this spring and go through the transmission while I have it apart. It runs good and seems reliable enough so I put a Warn Rt15 winch and a Moose 55" plow on it and let me just say........This thing can push some snow!!!! I had over 49" of static snow on my back deck with last months storm. I had HUGE piles from my old plow driver not pushing it where I wanted and was able to clean the driveway very nicely and push the meduim pile back to make room.....all with this quad!!! I'M AMAZED!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to hear that suggestion!!! I was thinking that it's a guide rod problem as well. I know this machine spent most of its life in a low speed high load environment. Alot of the time it was in Low range as well. Knowing how mechanically un-inclined the previous owner is, it makes sense. He's one to shift up and down for no real reason other than for more torque @ the wheels. ( I let him borrow it to get his pigs to slaughter and he said it shifted GREAT for him, then he proceded to spiderweb the hell out of my winch cable! :aargh: ) If I'm plowing I HAVE to get it to second gear before I make the long run down the driveway or it will NOT shift to second by foot. If I reach down and grab it with my hand it will go but it takes effort. It also has problems downshifting from second to first. Other than the 1-2/2-1 it shifts just fine. I really think the rattle noise was old fluid, maybe some shaft endplay somewhere. It is quiet now ( I understand it's cold and the fuids are alot thicker) I guess I'll wait till spring breaks and I get it tore apart. Hopefully it's something I can just weld up and re-grind the guide rods. (or replace with a nitride coated rod) depending on the diameter. My other thought was the shift control cam may be worn or have a burr that is making it difficult to get past. Either way it's coming apart and will be 100% before it plows next year. It might just be some dremel work on the cam and shift forks. :cute:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9o4rQ2w0CI]YouTube - Quad LED Strobes[/ame]

Guide rods are cheap, it would be much easier to just replace them with new ones, if that is indeed the problem. Shift cam is a possibility as well, I guess you will find out when you tear it down. I wish you luck, keep us updated on your progress.

BTW, I like the strobe lights, makes it look like it is intended for official business.