Quantcast

should i buy a $500 polaris predator 500?

mike13ortega

some man that lives by me is selling an 03 polaris predator 500 that needs work he said it needs the carburator rebuilt , the ignition swich , and the stator cover is it worth it if hes asking $500 bucks for it i saw it today and is kinda rough seat is sun faded has some cracked fairings and missing one headlight should i buy and what should i look for when buying it how much is it going to take me to get it running?

If you are looking for a quad for $500 or less, most all you will find is basket cases like that or bikes without titles. It's not that there aren't bargains out there, but most of these machines will need work and $$$ to make them right. You need to take a good look at these machines to determine if it is worth the trouble. Look at the motor oil, check for evidence of broken internals like metal pieces and shavings and see if the oil has water in it. It is likely that many of these machines will not run when you buy them, but you will want to see how the motor turns, if it does not roll over freely, there are real problems inside. Wiggle the bike around and literally kick the tires to check the condition of the bearings throughout the machine. Will it need brakes, tires, cables? All of these things add up quick. Like Outlander said, if you aren't good with a wrench, you may want to pass on the basket cases and save your money until you can afford a decent machine. Tax time is right around the corner, maybe that will help you, I know I have most of mine already spent.:yes::wink::yes: