Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Mandy

2001 Yamaha Raptor 660R Misfire

Hi I have a raptor 660R it misfires and loses power when i go above second gear and i have it opened up full throtle does anyone know what can cause this?

Hi I have a raptor 660R it misfires and loses power when i go above second gear and i have it opened up full throtle does anyone know what can cause this?

Welcome to QUADCRAZY! When was the last time you changed your plug(s)?

What year is your atv?

* Added Make to your thread title.

I think they were checked like 8 months ago... Im having a hasstle finding a plug spanner that goes into my bike

Its a 2001 Model i think cant be newer than 2002

Thanks...updated your thread title. Have you checked the plugs, air filter, and fuel flow?

I think they were checked like 8 months ago... Im having a hasstle finding a plug spanner that goes into my bike

Can't you use a 3/8 ratchet, spark plug socket, and extension bar...with a swivel?

I'll give that a shot thanks alot... my mechanic that used to fix my bike has left so wasnt too sure what tools worked... Um my bike didnt come with a manual are u able to tell me how to check the fuel flow? wen im ridding i make sure the tap is on all the time... ive changed the filters incl air and i had a new carb kit fitted but cudnt get the plug out to get another one.

Mandy, your first post says if your above 2nd gear and have it "full Throttle" it misses out. Unless it has an after market CDI box it will have a rev limiter to keep it from over reving. If you shift to a higher gear but run half to 3/4 throttle how does it run?

Hey Indykwg,

yea it does that in third and above i have the digital display on mine it gets to abt 3 on the rev counter then i change... i tired the throtle at about 3/4 and its like its starving for power or something then i open it fully and it still kind of jerks and like misses but if i drop all the way to first it somehow feels like it kick starts again and it rides fine.

Definately change the spark plug. Its the cheapest and fastest fix. If that dosen't get it post back. Could be a bare spot on the coil wire shorting out or the wires to the coil shorting as the ride gets bumpier at higher speeds.

Sounds like you are running out of fuel in the bowl, maybe an improperly adjusted float. Could be that the carb needs to be cleaned out as well. The other possibility I see is that the CDI or pickup coil could be malfunctioning. Couldn't hurt to check the valve clearance, compression and timing chain as well. At any rate, definately change the plug first, and look at the color of the insulator on the old plug, the condition of the spark plug can be a good indicator of your problem.

Hey everybody

Thanks for all your help I have changed the plug and also changed the coils and floats and now its back to normal if not better thanks sooo much for all your help on this I feel like a super mechanic now

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By anryu451
      I cannot get this drum off, I already have another drum and backplate on order because I've ruined this one trying to get it off. Completely rusted to splines. I cant fit any hub or wheel puller known to mankind onto these lug studs to try and pull it off, I'm really running out of ideas.
    • By Zach Jump
      Hello...first post.
      Have a problem I have not been able to figure out.  
      While back the fuel pump went out...replaced it.  I got maybe 30 minutes..maybe less before the new one went out.
      Replaced it again...same thing. Now I am sitting with two more new fuel pumps in reserve but do not want to experiment and blow out another until I have a clue of what could be wrong.
      Have checked electrical...seems to be fine but I am no expert. Also the fuse is just fine.
    • By mothrottle
      My first long ride on my latest bike, an '18 Kodiak 450 EPS I bought slightly used failed. In the North woods I stop on a two track for a blowdown. I Shift into reverse, and instantly the engine dies. Completely dead. The shop tells me that the  40 amp main fuse(there are two, One being the main the other for the EPS) blew. These are the slow blow variety. The shop had to order the fuse,which tells me that blowing that fuse is rare. I hope they can find the cause. Anyone else have this happen?
    • By Aaron Skinner
      Hi All...
      ok ive brought my son a Apache 100cc quad bike ans it seems to have a spark issue..
      When i got it i couldnt get a spark then i messed around with it and got a spark and got it running, then it just died after 30 mins, now no spark so i replaced spark plug, ignition coil, cdi, ignition switch, stator and regulator and got a spark again now its gone again? 
      Ive check the wiring to see if any loose connectors, cant start by electric start because the starter clutch is broken so can only kick start it and thats a pain as it sometimes slips ( needs new teeth on it)
      the kill switch us 2 wires that are just loose no switch anymore as it broken and the other wires i think are for the lights and the electric start lever which is now broke
      Im crap with electrics so not sure how to trace and test
      also my new stator has 6 wires instead of 5 so i am unsure how to wire it, see pictures of mine the correct one and the other off ebay which they say to re-wire
      any help with this guys?

• By angellonewolf
      Ok got a quad if a mate that's helped me out a few times said I look at it for him

Been sat for 6 years in a barn checked spark and also changed the spark plug after a sonic clean of the carb started and started easy but when you use the throttle it bogs and near dies

Now this unit has 2 tanks one for oil and one for fuel for the moment I'm bypassing the 2 tanks and using only a fuel mix direct in to the carb could this be causing the problem ?

I've done a second clean and refitted and still the same even as the air screw was near fully in it was said from watching a few vids that is was starving of fuel so I've increased the pin on the throttle up a notch but still no difference

There is not much adjustments on the carb so assume there's not much to go wrong but I was going to buy another carb but I can't find the right one here a pic of the actual carb
  • Similar Tagged Content

• Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      The Hop-Up: You may be saying to yourself, “that’s a chick bike,” and you’re right. But honestly, it’s so much more than that. It’s one badass bike. http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1587044,00.html
    • Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      If we had a dollar for every time the question “Which is really faster, the 700 or the 450?” shows up in our inbox, mailbox, or voicemail, we’d be putting this magazine together from a bungalow on a barely inhabited tropical isle named Quadhama.
      http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1603755,00.html
    • By dyyjrr9
      I just got a 1991 Yamaha Moto 4 for my son and I am looking for a service repair manual. I know that the timing chain needs replaced.
    • By alexcross324
      Hi all, I try to find this manual in the threads but you have a lot of stock here
      Cannot find this particular manual.
      I found it for YFM200 but not sure if they are the same.
      Thanks if you could help me with that.
      Im new here so if I did something wrong, please tell me.
    • By davidwestfall
      looking for direct shift shifting lever that properly fits my 2003 Yamaha warrior 350 and fits my foot the same as a stock 2003 Yamaha warrior 350 shifting lever fits my foot