Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Well I have made about 3 repairs to my winchline over the past year and over the weekend I spooled it out and found, that I only have about 25 feet left on a 50" winch cable. I am going to buy a new line, and wanted to see what diameter winch line people are using out there.

I'm considering using 1/4" synthetic over the standard 3/16" Its only ten bucks more and gives you more pull strength. You think the extra 1/16" per wrap will fit on a standard winch spool?

Well I have made about 3 repairs to my winchline over the past year and over the weekend I spooled it out and found, that I only have about 25 feet left on a 50" winch cable. I am going to buy a new line, and wanted to see what diameter winch line people are using out there.

I'm considering using 1/4" synthetic over the standard 3/16" Its only ten bucks more and gives you more pull strength. You think the extra 1/16" per wrap will fit on a standard winch spool?

50ft should fit, what kind of winch is it?

I am not sure what you use your winch for most but if you plow a lot I would recommend just buying a 12ft synthetic plow rope this is what i use on mine during plow season and it works great Warn makes these and they hold up a lot better then your standard wire cable, they are also a lot cheaper then buying a 50ft synthetic rope.

Once plow season is over I just pull the 12ft rope off and put the 50ft cable back on for when i am out playing in the mud, hopefully this helps!!

Make sure when you do replace the line that you change out the fairlead as well. If the fairlead was used with cable then it is going to have jagged edges and could damage the new synthetic line that you are putting on. I agree the 12' line is great for someone with a plow.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By chuckufarlie
      I tried to turn my Warn Vantage 2000 into neutral to spool out the line and the clutch is very stiff... I got it.
      When trying to engage it again, it was also very stiff and I ended up breaking off the thumb tab -- so I guess I will need to buy a new gear end housing for that.
      Anyway, is there some maintenance that is needed to keep the clutch turning smoothly or some trick I am missing?
    • By Brer Wilson
      Great value for less than $50.00

• By Airborne
      Hey guys , i think i made mistake when purchased my machine when i thought id be fine with a manual lift moose plow set up .
      plow is great , takes a beating , very satisfied however the manual lift for it just kicks my ass after 4 hours or so. Lol 
      so im looking at changing over to a winch , no biggie im definitely going to do it , 
      where my question is , when looking at winches i came to the divide in the trail ...nylon rope ,or old style cable ?  I will be,only using this for plowing that is all , i use choke cables and tug straps for other work ...... somwhat do you think guys , its not a price issue , im looking for longterm dependability.... i questioned the rope getting wet while plowing , maybe no biggie not sure. ..
      thanks guys.  Airborne 
    • By Lillie Monroe
      For sale 2003 Honda 400ex motor great condition low hours 1200 obo. Call Chris at7063472164 if interested
    • By DaveInME
      My wife & I are getting tired of 0 degree high for the day and 10' of snow for the 5 month long winter season. and are looking for a warmer place to spend the winter.  We would need a place with lots of ATV trails and places to put our kayaks in and do some fishing. Shopping malls, etc are NOT even a consideration. as long as we have a gas station and food store, we're good.
      we also need to have some "elbow room" without being stuff in with neighbors on all sides.  to put this in perspective we live in Aroostook County, Maine which is about the size of Connecticut and Rhode Island combined, but with a total population of 70,000 or about 10 people per sq mile.  so we're used to going 30+ miles without seeing anyone except a moose or maybe a bear.
      another words, I want to replace the this picture

with these pics.

we would either rent a place for the winter, or buy a travel trailer / toy hauler to live in.
      Dave

• Similar Tagged Content

• By jerod400ex
      Hey im Gonna Start running synthetic oil and do you guys have any suggestions on some good brands? IVe heard that royal purple is good but want some opinions?
    • By sidmabb
      I decided to go with Dyneema cable. My winch has a hole through the drum that widens on the back side. The new cable has no end, it's just cut off. I am worried that I will need a lot of line some day and pull to much out and end up with a cable no longer attached to the winch. I thought about knotting the cable after slipping it through so it couldn't come out but decided against it. I ended up tying a couple shoe strings near the end so I know to stop. I would rather have a better safeguard . What do you guys do?
    • By Smoothbassman
      There are tons of advantages to switching to synthetic winch lines on your ATVs. Lighter weight, safer pulls, and best of all, instant repairs if you have a failure of your line while doing a pull. If you are caught with a broken line during a pull you can splice it back together in no time and be winching in 15 minutes or less and heres how.
      All you need is a few simple tools and a couple sets of instructions in your toolkit.
      Tools:
      Sharp Scissors, or Blade
      Electrical Tape
      Sharpie Marker
      Tubular Rope Fid about 1/2 the diameter of your rope line and at least 4-6 inches long

Formal Instructions:
      Eye Splice
      End Splice
      First you need to measure out the length of your repair. I like to use 2 times the length of the tool that you are using to tread your taper tail down the center of the rope. Make a mark at one length, and a second mark at the second length. The second mark will be where you stick the tail thru your line at.

Now just past the 1st mark you made mark 3 pairs of rope to cut to make your tapered tail.

Pull those threads out of the line and cut them off.

Your tail should now look like this

The end of your rope should now have only six strands, instead of twelve. Take the end of your rope with 6 strands, and slip your fid thru the center of the rope and tape it to your fid.

Thread your taped fid thru your hook and back into the center of the rope, at your 2nd mark.

You now have a very large loop in the end of your rope. Push the end of the rope up through the middle of the rope. You'll need to kind of "bunch up" the rope to loosen it up enough to push the other rope through the middle.

As you bury more and more or the end of the rope, the loop will get smaller and smaller. Eventually you will have the loop very tight around the hook. Pull the end of the rope out so you can pull it nice and tight around the hook. Remove whatever object you taped to the end of the rope to guide it through, and pull the rope tight to re-bury the end. You may have to cut a little off the very end of the rope to get it all to re-bury itself. You have a completed eye splice.

After getting it tight around your hook, pull down and away from the hook on the outer wrap to lock the splice in place.
      The end splice is exactly the same except that you now have to create two tapered tails and bury each tail into the two sections of winch line to create the splice. Just in case you break your line in the middle of a pull.
      With a little patience you can repair any line in minutes.
    • By utvboard
      For the past couple of years LAT Racing Oils have become a household name in the pits of virtually every form of motor racing, and there’s good reason. Racers are realizing exceptional results. Expense is not a consideration at LAT and each blend begins with the very finest, Group IV and Group V base oils available. These extremely pure oils are blended with the company’s exclusive LFR additive
      More...