Quantcast

Well I have made about 3 repairs to my winchline over the past year and over the weekend I spooled it out and found, that I only have about 25 feet left on a 50" winch cable. I am going to buy a new line, and wanted to see what diameter winch line people are using out there.

I'm considering using 1/4" synthetic over the standard 3/16" Its only ten bucks more and gives you more pull strength. You think the extra 1/16" per wrap will fit on a standard winch spool?

Well I have made about 3 repairs to my winchline over the past year and over the weekend I spooled it out and found, that I only have about 25 feet left on a 50" winch cable. I am going to buy a new line, and wanted to see what diameter winch line people are using out there.

I'm considering using 1/4" synthetic over the standard 3/16" Its only ten bucks more and gives you more pull strength. You think the extra 1/16" per wrap will fit on a standard winch spool?

50ft should fit, what kind of winch is it?

• 1 month later...

I am not sure what you use your winch for most but if you plow a lot I would recommend just buying a 12ft synthetic plow rope this is what i use on mine during plow season and it works great Warn makes these and they hold up a lot better then your standard wire cable, they are also a lot cheaper then buying a 50ft synthetic rope.

Once plow season is over I just pull the 12ft rope off and put the 50ft cable back on for when i am out playing in the mud, hopefully this helps!!

• 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Whiterabbit
      3500lb, synthetic rope lead and everything needed to install for........................................ $89 bucks!  I'm installing one on my '01 Bombardier Quest and it looks like a legit buy. If you have a RK nearby & you need a winch you might want to swing by before they disappear.
    • By rockwell16
      There is a huge debate in winches being bought for ATV's lately here is my opinion
      well first the debate is what pound winch to get what brand and what to go with metal corded or the Synthetic winch i would go with a 2000 pound warn synthetic synthetic because the metal cord over time frays and the little metal wire poke out and stab the crap out of your hands and can even cut you really good if your not careful I ride with riding gloves but i don't use metal cord because i don't want to have to put on leather gloves just to use my winch on a trail synthetic doesn't fray and is easier on the winch its self not as much friction when unspooling let me know what you guys use what brand weight rating and synthetic or metal cord
    • By Doublewidekings
      I am looking for what you would consider the best ATV winch for under $125.  Thanks in advance.
    • By borgunit
      I am thinking about adding a winch. Should I mount to the front or in tow hitch socket? Are there tow hitch versions for sale. I was wondering about pros and cons
    • By noticon75
      I'm going to put a winch on my Bombardier Quest 650.  I was going to just go with the Harbor Freight 2500 winch. But I am now considering the 3500.  My concern is the 2500 has only 2 mounting holes? Doesn't seem sufficient. I like the price and it has the wireless remote and the circuit breaker has a cover for it.  The 3500 has handlebar winch control which i think would be better for snowplow so...