Quantcast

SPARK, small spark, NO SPARK 1996 polaris 425 magnum 4x4

I have a 96 polaris 425 magnum 4x4. I traded for it without knowing a whole lot about it. It was wrecked hard enough to take the radiator out. They replaced the radiator, rode for roughly 5-10 minutes and it died. They never got it to run again. I started off with no spark. Stator wouldn't test out, it had a bad bobbin. Bought new stator no change. New coil, wire, boot, plug, no change. New CDI, regulator things started changing. I don't know if wiggling wires, just changing parts, I really don't know. At times I have a 4th of july spark, at others maybe half spark, and sometimes no spark. It's ran for 5 minutes, and just dies. 15 minutes maybe and dies. It has run up to 30 minutes at a fast idle and dies. But when it dies, its done. The next day it might run, maybe not. It seems to change whenever you mess with it. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be. I would love to ride it, but it would leave me sitting or walking. I've traced wires until I can't see straight. Checked connections looking for corrosion, loose connections, broken wires. I don't know where to go with it now. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

I've changed out the CDI, looked at every connection I could find. Today I went to Lebanon Susuki to see if they could tell me something about plugs. When I ordered a plug for the make and model I got a NGK BRK5E, my Clymers manual called for a BRK5ES. Anyway we were talking and I told them what I had changed out, and the results I got. They told me in around about way that parts sometimes aren't as accurate as they can be. They told me to check the gap between the pickup coil and the flywheel. The old one didn't have hardly any gap at all. The new stator I got with the pickup coil gap was quite a little bit bigger. They said it could weaken spark, and throw it out of time a little. I haven't rearranged it yet, but I will. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated about the distance between the flywheel and pickup coil. Thanks littlebill

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By McG75
      Hello I’m new here and was wondering is anyone knew of good replacement part numbers for front struts and rear shocks for this atv? I think I’ve found a new rear shock, that looks like the original but there is no dimensions or anything and was wondering if there are any afterMarket new front struts available. I know it’s a long shot but any help would be appreciated. 
    • By McG75
      1996 4x4 Timberwolf rearend width. Can someone with some knowledge of these machines answer this question for me please. Are all 4x4 timberwolves this narrow in the rearend? These tires are so close the right one actually rubs the muffler.  Thinking about seeing if there are any spacers out there for it. I need at least an inch more clearance. 

• By rgeiser
      View File 2003 Polaris Ranger 400-500 service manual
      2003 Polaris Ranger 400-500 service manual
      Submitter rgeiser Submitted 04/18/2024 Category Polaris UTV  
    • By DarkRider
      This is something I'm extremely curious about. Has anyone ever attempted to buy a quad (or any other vehicle) from an impound lot? I've always wondered if this could be a bargain, or a waste of time. Google searches do turn up some helpful results. Looks like the state of NJ holds auctions online which I'd be a bit hesitant about.

My online searches haven't really turned up any results of anyone buying an ATV this way. I'd be really curious if anyone tried this, or knows someone who has. I've actually found a couple pages with online auctions for my state, but none had ATVs.
    • By Sofaspud
      My 2008 can-am Outlander 800r is having hard shifting issues. Does anyone have a fix for this ?