Quantcast

Separated shoulder epidemic??????

A few months ago, Stoopidbot had an accident and separated his shoulder. I had an accident last month that resulted in the exact same injury, a stage 3 shoulder separation along with a fracture in my scapula and 2 broken ribs. I have the exact same surgery scar on my right shoulder. It has been almost a month since the accident and 3 weeks since the surgery and I am a little worried that I am not going to be the same when I am healed. How is your shoulder doing Bot? Have you ridden since the accident, have you even gotten the quad back together? I am just wondering what the next month or two is going to be like. The doc said I could be back to work as early as Sept 1, but I don't see me doing too well with a jack hammer by then, judging by the way things feel now. I work on a 3 man utility service crew, and I don't have the luxury of sitting on a machine all day, so my job is very physical and requires alot of heavy work. There is a nice wad of scar tissue starting to form on the top of my collar bone, which is good according to doc, but he says I still have to be very careful because if I put too much stress on it, the sutures will rip, and I am back where I was before the surgery. Is one more month really going to make that much difference? Bot?

I didnt break anything, but I seperated my shoulder and tore a tendon in the rotator cuff playing street hockey. I didnt get surgery I opted for the cortisone shot instead, but my doctor did say that excercising it on a daily basis will be the key to keeping it strong. When you get your therapy they should show you some easy steps to make it as good as or better than before the surgery. It wont be a walk in the park, but keep a positive attitude. Best wishes.

The doc said I could be back to work as early as Sept 1, but I don't see me doing too well with a jack hammer by then, judging by the way things feel now.

Wow...jackhammer with a shoulder injury. Have your doctor write you a note to NOT to have to do that! Light Duty only...:yes:

Was this an ON the job accident????? I cant remember at the moment....

Maybe you could be retrained to do something else???? If it was on the job that is...I know my job offered that to me when I blew my back out....Well,,,Not the Job....The State did.....But I kept my position and eventually moved up the ladder into a tractor.....Long Freakin Story but to make it short....You could have options you are not looking at.....

Let me know if I can help ya in any way.....

This was a riding accident, I was launched from my quad into a tree at about 60mph. I am unsure what exactly happened because I was knocked out cold and my memory of the incident is hazy at best. I vaguely remember swerving to avoid another rider who I came up on from behind and he was going slow and I was hauling as*. I have a faint memory of upcoming trees, the next thing I remember is being loaded into an ambulence and hollering at my friend to make sure my quad was ok. So obviously this was an off the job injury, therefore, no light duty, no L&I and no re-training.

• 2 weeks later...

Things have gotten noticeably better since I first posted this thread. Like you said, one day I woke up and it just felt better, I wouldn't say normal, but noticeably better. I have limited use of my right arm, but it is a mile ahead of where I was 2 weeks ago. It has only been one month since the surgery and at this point I am now kind of suprised at how much better it feels. Hopefully the rest of my recovery goes as well as yours did. This has easily been the most serious injury I have ever sustained. It took me two weeks to talk my wife out of "making" me sell my quads. She didn't know it, but that was never going to happen. In fact, I am anxiously counting down the days until I can ride again. The only thing I will say is that I will be more cautious of unfamiliar corners in the future.