Quantcast

2004 Arctic Cat 400 Auto carb problems

Tonynj42

My bike was running fine until the float got stuck and was leaking fuel. I took the carb appart cleaned it and it has never run the same. i tried to fix it with a tune up kit. The bike runs, but when i give it gas it gargles like its getting to much gas... can anyone help me out!

• 2 months later...

I agree with checking the float level. when you put the carb kit in did you put in a new float needle and seat? do you know why the float stuck? you may have it fixed and it could be just an adjustment issue. i would try adjusting your air fuel mixture screw and snap the throttle in nuetral after every adjustment until it quits making the noise.

• 2 months later...

Originally I thought the leaking from the bottom of the carb was due to a float problem..I took it apart to clean it....degreased blew everything out with compressed air, assembled it and it started up very quickly, but when I put in in gear it would gargle and wouldn't go past 5 mph. Idled great, revved nicely but only in neutral. Someone suggested I get a carb tuneup kit and thats what I did. the float has no holes, the pin is fine, the needle was replaced and works fine, all the jets inside were cleaned and blown out several times. I was told that all three jets inside has no settings, just screw them hand tight.The diagram and venturi where fine the pin wasn't bent or damaged. the only jet that needs to be adjusted is the one under the carb, a mechanic at an Arctic Cat dealer told me to turn it all the way down and turn it back out 1 and 3/4 and I should be golden...well cleaned the carb again..no there was no dirt in it(installed an in line fuel filter last week) put it back together it started right up, idled great, revved up fine then once again started to gargle when I attempted to ride. I give up! the only thing I can think of is when I had it apart the first time i may have lost an o ring or a small washer from the inside of the carb.....I guess i have to take it to a dealer..

I don't know what else to do!

You may have some sort of fault that is causing the rev limiter to kick on, it should only be on in reverse. I would try to bypass the gear position sensor and see if that helps or try holding down the reverse override button if it has one and see if it runs any better. If the fuel leaking issue is gone, then I would think that your carb may be fine. Is your machine an auto or manual transmision?

• 4 weeks later...

I have an automatic Trans. I took the carb apart again because it was leaking from the bottom overflow again. I pulled the tab up a bit that holds the pin with the rubber tip that controlls the gas flow from the float. I must have cleaned it 10 times added a fuel filter and it always leaked...I wonder if the dealer sent me the wrong needle when i purchased the carb tune up kit? I have to check the bike again in while to see if its leaking again, hopefully bending that tab slightly did the trick!

I agree with dirtdemon about the pilot screw the only thing is its such a pain to turn since the starter is to close to the bottom.

I appreciate all the coments and help from you guys

I'll keep you posted

Bending that tab is how you adjust the float setting, you should get the float adjusment specs and make sure you set it properly, that way you don't have to keep taking it apart and screwing with it. I kind of figured that was already taken care of, we suggested adjusting the float back in August. Did you try holding down the reverse override button? Just curious if that did anything to help.

• 1 month later...

Hey Tonynj42, just thought I would pass this along you said it was leaking fuel is this the carb that has the brass lever on the bottom and a round rubber fuel diaphragm about the size of a quarter? If it does take a flashight and hold it up to the diaphragm and bend the rubber down away from the metal center and see if you can see light through it if you do it is bad and will leak fuel externally.Part # 5507-182 Hope this helps. By the way where did you find your rebuild kit?