Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

2006 Yamaha Bruin 350 - Starts, idles, dies, won't restart

bruinrider

THis is actually a Bruin 350, I fat fingered the thread title.

This Bruin has been in storage for 1 year, with no stabil used and I'm attempting to bring this beast back to life.

The only way I've been able to to start this thing is:

1. Leave fuel cock open overnite

2. Adjust choke to mid-choke

3. Press Start

4. Idles for 3-4 minutes on a really LABORED idle (not smooth idle, but sounds like puttering on its deathbead)

However once I get it started, it seems to have a terribly labored idle for about 3-4 minutes, then dies. If you touch the trottle during idle warmup, it dies.

Once it's dead, there is no getting it started again until the next day.

I've done the following:

1. Visually inspected and cleaned sparkplug - verified spacing @ .025"

2. Drained old fuel and refueled with premium unleaded

3. Checked fuel flow from fuel cock to carb - smooth flow

4. Checked fuel flow from carb to carb fuel drain - smooth flow

5. Compression appears to be ok, however I do not have a tester, but placing my hand behind exhaust yields good pressure.

I have Fuel, Spark and temp fire, what should I check next? Any moving parts in the carb that have a tendancy to get stuck? Perhaps the stator?

Edited by bruinrider
Fat Fingered cc, 350 not 250cc

I was able to resolve problem last nite. 2 days ago, I dumped 1/2 bottle of STP injector cleaner in the gas and left the fuel cock open, last nite I was finally able to get it to crank after 30 minutes of idle and die. I adjusted the idle control screw back and forth until I was able to keep it running at full choke. Once I had it idling smooth in full choke, I closed choke and throttled heavily blowing all the sentiment crap from the carb out. I let it idle for 30 minutes and then rode it at full speed for over an hour. I was able to then turn off and start at will, just like it was new.

I got up this morning and the machine easily started again.

Thanks for all the help!

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a 5 gallon can, here's what I do: fill the can with 4 gallons of pump gas and 1 gallon of race FUEL. Since it isn't gasoline, it works just like fuel injector cleaner. It works great!

If you need to store it again, just close the petcock and drain the fuel out of the carb. It should be ready to go for next time.

• 1 year later...