Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

ok guys i have a little problem with my 185s i have tried beating and heating the rear brake drum but it just wont come off any ideas am i missing something here? ive got the outter plate off the one with 6 bolts and that slides right off now the problem i have is with the inner plate it has holes in it but i cant see anything holding it on can some one plz help me i like my trike and would hate to get rid of it just cuz i cant fix my little problem

you're getting smoke because there is a bearing in there- be sure and repack that with grease before reassembly.

I went out and got my 185 factory book. The drum is splined, of course, but after you remove everything between it and the tire, there's nothing holding it in there...

the backing plate and inner dust cover are welded to the bearing carrier, so that will be staying where it is.

Typical Honda manual, it says 'remove the brake drum.' hahaha perhaps a chilton's would be more enlightening...

I also haver a clymer's here tho I prefer chilton's. clymer= British, chilton= American

the language is different...

If you have both axle nuts and the washer removed, and the brake cables are slack, then there is nothing but corrosion holding that drum on there. Brake shoes sometimes wear out and then eat a groove into the drum.... a couple good smacks with a hammer should break them loose.

But other than that, it's heat I'm afraid. I have a clymers and a factory manual on that rig if you need any more help. [i have a 185 and a 200s]

Don't be afraid to ask.

I can fax you a picture if you have a fax machine or scan a page and email it to you. Let me know if I can help.

Start shooting those splines with PB Blaster or some other penetraing fluid....the splines are all that hold the drum on if you have the axle nuts removed...

Edited by Raptor8
grammar

ok i offically messed up lol was searching ebay today and noticed the brake drum is splined on and ive been trying to twist it off *face palms* yea i know i sound like a dumb ass but it happens guess ill update when i get it off later tonight

Edited by DirtDemon
language

I have an axle in my garage right now, that has a drum that I believe has been heat welded to the axle. I even tried building a puller that grips the drum through the holes and used a hydraulic bottle jack to apply the pressure, one of the fingers on the puller just broke a piece off the drum. Unfortunately, the only way the axle comes out on this thing, is by removing the drum and pulling it out the other side. We have to cut the brake drum off and try not to damage the splines in the process, a new drum is going to run $130. At least you have a choice to take it out the other way if you can't get the it to pull off the splines.

BTW, I edited your posts for you, please try to avoid f-bombs in the future, I know you are probably frustrated, but this is an all ages forum, so please, atleast try to avoid actually spelling out the cuss words. Good luck with the drum, I hope you get it off there ok.

Edited by DirtDemon

keep looking.... check the 3 wheeler forum here and look at some of MWKE's posts, the first few. he has some contacts there for 3 wheeler sites. SOMEBODY has one laying in their garage, bet on it! it's a treasure hunt man! hahaha have fun

maybe you can run a die down those threads and restore them. may require some hand filing.... it's a pain in the butt but I have done it before on a crankshaft and it worked. Next time screw the nut back on and pound on a wood block OK?

I'll look around too. Be sure and put it in the classifieds here- someone may have one!

Edited by Raptor8

• 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Jonathan Foster
      I have a 185 ATC that I’m in the process of rebuilding. Do you guys know anywhere I can find parts or motor specs. I need stuff like shifter seal, head gasket, rings, shocks, and front brakes 
    • By sloundez
      Does anyone out there know where I can get a functional pair of wheel cylinders for subject ATV? Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks
    • By Npeters
      Im working on a old 1987 honda 125 4 wheeler in the school shop. It will start by getting pulled by another 4 wheeler but wont start with the pull start or Electric Start. When you pull start it it tries to start but when you try the electric start it just turns over but doesnt even act like it wants to start. The spark plug is dry and it shoots fuel out of the back(air filter side) of the carb. Weve had the carb off twice and it is complety clean. What are some things we can try?
    • By marcuslachance
      I
      I bought a Honda 250sx 1986 but the exhaust is broken. Apparently it's not possible to order a new one. I checked to order one on others compagny but there's noting.
      Do you know which exhaust it's possible to install. Is there a company who sold an exaust to fit on my 250sx.
      Sorry for my english
      Thank you
      Marc
    • By JenWal85
      Hope someone can help with this one.
      We took our 1984 Honda TRX 200 to the shop and they had it for about 2 weeks before they finally called and said that they had cleaned the carb and changed the battery and that it had started up.
      We went and got it and when we got home it would not start so we called them, they said bring it back in, so we did. They called us the next day and said they changed the spark plug, and that it was running. We went and got it again and it ran when we drove it off the truck.
      We parked it for about an hour because we were going to get ready to go on a ride. Well, it wouldnt start again.
      So we called them and they said the last thing they could do was order a new CDI box and put that on. I decided to just buy it myself, so I didnt have to pay them labor again. We put the new one on today and its still not starting.
      Does anyone have any ideas on what we could check to see what in the world is going on with this thing?
      Please and Thank you