chad

2003 Cannondale Cannibal/need help

I have an 03 cannondale cannible. I picked it up at an auction not running. I have replaced the injectors, fuelpump, fuel filters, fuel reg. and have had the ecu tested. I can only get it to start once in a while and only if i put a fresh plug in. When it runs it pushes oil through the breather tube that runs from the frame to the air box. Could it need a valve adj. and if so, how do you do it. Or does anyone else have any suggestions to try.

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

Sounds like you are pushing air/fuel into the crankcase because your piston/rings aren't holding compression. Common problem with high performance 4-strokes. My LT-R is starting to do the same thing. I suppose bad valve guide/seals could cause the same problem. Check the oil and see if it smells like gas.

Edited by DirtDemon

I agree with DD, is that plug oil fouled? You mentioned that you need to replace it to start it. Have you done a compression test?

thanks for the suggestions, i dont think its rings because its not coming from the crank case, it is coming from the frame. the frame also acts as a oil case for diff. parts of the motor.

It will still get pressurized along with the crank case, it is directly connected to the crankcase, the breather tube that comes out of the frame is what is supposed to regulate crankcase pressure. When a piston/rings or valve guides/seals get worn, compression leaks by and over pressurizes the crankcase and pushes oil out of the breather. This will also happen if you have too much oil in the machine.

Guest Quadfever

I have a 2004 ATK 450. Basically the same. There is design flaws galore with these bikes. There was an update for a hose allows the frame rails(oil reservoir) to breath properly. Its a mess. I talked to a genlteman named BRAD about several issues. There is more to come. He was with BlackWidow ATV. They purchased alot of the ATK and cannondale inventory. Now, do you still own it? Also look into Highland cyles. US Highland They are using alot of cannondale and ATK frames.

Guest Quadfever

They are up coming with some sweet bikes and quads. I dont have your answers but all info helps.

I know this is way off topic here, but I think this thread may be dead anyway. You say you have talked to someone from Black Widow ATV. I have heard legend of a counterballaned 625cc two stroke motor made by the folks at Black Widow called the "Red Head". I have always wondered if it were true. I have a picture of said motor, and as you can see, it appears to be in a Cannondale frame.

blkwidow.jpg

Have you tried contacting Blackwidow atv in Utah? There is also another guy out of Washington state that has helped me. He has all the updates for fuel and oil lines, and everything else you need for your cannondale. PM me and I'll be glad to pass on his info.

I did try calling them once, I left a message, but never got a call back. I am sure there aren't any of those motors around that I could get my hands on anyhow. It was just curious to know if you have ever heard of that motor?

I have an 03 cannondale cannible. I picked it up at an auction not running. I have replaced the injectors, fuelpump, fuel filters, fuel reg. and have had the ecu tested. I can only get it to start once in a while and only if i put a fresh plug in. When it runs it pushes oil through the breather tube that runs from the frame to the air box. Could it need a valve adj. and if so, how do you do it. Or does anyone else have any suggestions to try.

Looks like your throwing parts at it instead of basic diagnostics. Fuel pumps ,injectors and regulators are highly reliable and rarely if ever fail.

Oil pumping out the breather is an indication that your scavange pump is not working. The oil is being pushed out the crankcase from the breather system. Thats also the reason your fouling plugs as its going through the rings.

The engine needs what ALL cannondales need and that is a basic rebuild by someone who knows the basic updates or willing to learn. Its not hard and doesnt cost a lot but it has to be done. After being done they should have as long and reliable life as any other sport quad.