Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

Join QUADCRAZY ATV Forum today for FREE! We keep these forums clean and user friendly. All first posters will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first post is approved, you will no longer need to got through an approval process. To gain immediate approval and a NO ADS experience, consider subsribing to our Premium Membership.

2000 Honda Foreman Will Not Shift

TBND85

I have a 2000 (or 99 I cant remember) Honda Foreman 400. I recently got it stuck and upon getting it out of the mud and water I could not get it to shift back into neutral, and it is impossible to start the quad unless it is in neutral. I have tried rocking it, shifting up then down, and just about every other trick I could think of. Any suggestions as to what's going on here?

Thanks

Dream Car Giveaway
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Those machines have a funny gear shifting setup, there is a 90 degree joint in the gear shifting spindle. It could very easily get messed up. I would take the side cover off and look behind the gear shift lever, that joint is right on the other side of the cover. If all looks to be working ok on that side, take the other cover off, the gear shift ratchet mechanism is behind that cover. If all of that is working too, then you may have an internal tranny problem and you will need to split the cases to deal with that one. I think it is a good possibility that you will find the problem under one of the side covers. Good luck.

• 7 years later...