Quantcast

1998 Arctic Cat 500 4x4 Stallling

stevec

i have issues with it dying out when i apply the throttle.it will idle all day long but as soon as i give it some throttle it acts like it is starving for gas. if i cover half of the catb it runs ok.also gas flows out of the bottom of the carb through the overflow.any suggestions or fixes for my problem?

thanks,

steve

its a 98. i have taken out the jets and cleaned them.its weird because its sounds to be starving for gas but the gas flows out of overflow at the bottom of carb. could it be the accelerator pump. thats what one guy had told me. it was all working good untill i took the bowl off because of the gas leeking. ques i should of left that to someone more qualified.:huh:

80 % of all the older Arctic Cat's running issues are in the fuel system. Theres nothing wrong with the fuel system but with the introduction of ethanol lots of problems have come up.

Hears the problem, all fuel has trash in it. Most of the trash collects on the bottom and walls of the fuel tank. What stays floating in the fuel is caught by the filters.

Now introduce ethanol, Ethanol is an outstanding cleaner!!!! All that trash that collected on the walls of the tank is now coming loose, plus the filters in the tank are deteriorated by ethanol. Just to prove it, turn off the gas valve, pull the hose, I bet it leaks.

Even the fuel line used at the time can be deteriorated by ethanol.

So, what needs to be done, luckly everything in the carb has no problem ethanol. First the carburator needs to be completly disassembled, The main parts need to be soaked in carb cleaner for 30 mim to a hour. Then flushed with hot water and blow out with compressed air. Inspect all rubber parts for deterioration and replaced if needed. Reassemble making sure to set the pilot jet and the float setting to factory spec. I can get them for you if needed.

Now, remove all the fuel hose and drain the tank, if the valve leaks replace it, there cheap. While the tank is empty look in it with a flash light. if it's got scum buildup in it, it will need to be cleaned. Install the new valve and replace the fuel lines with ethanol safe fuel hose. It is also a good idea to install a good quality in-line fuel filter.

With everything put back togeather add fresh gas and you should be good to go.

I do recommend using a good fuel stablizer for ethanol, I prefer the Yamaha Marine product fuel stablizer, It's like stablizer on steriods. Another produst I recommend is another Yamaha marine product called ring free, it is a carbon removing compound that cleans carbon from the valves, rings and piston. The stuff works.

Good luck

It would be best with the original carb. There can be a lot of differances between carbs from one manufacture to another. ventura, jets,orfaces can be all different fom one motor to the next even though they are the same size motor.

Bore and stroke, valve size, cam lift and duration, exhaust restriction, air cleaner restriction and intake runner size and length will all effect volumetric flow rate of the carburator.

with out the correct carb you could be chasing problems forever and never get close. Plus it could be close enough to run but if to lean or to rich it could destroy the motor.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By N00bie
      From Arkansas. Just bought a 2012 Gator 850i RSX because I could not pass up the price. BUT it has an idle problem. So, to be honest, I joined just to get a service manual. I have a choice: 1)Buy a hard copy: ~$100; 2)Buy a CD ~$35.00; Get a direct download for free posting 10 times; or get a download for $29.00 (subscription). Haven't decided what to do yet.
    • By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????
    • By ResQ91
      Hi Guys!

New member and could really use your advice. I would have to believe this has been an issue for others but a search here came up with nothing......? (Probably me not doing search correctly)

I have an 87 Big Bear 350 YFM350FWT
      The OEM Mikuni BTM carb is shot and would rather replace than rebuild.
      It is no longer made and I have had good luck with NICHE carbs so I ordered a #K-CRB-0006 This was what they said was replacement when ordered. This Carb only uses 1 Throttle cable. The Slide is linked so it uses one. (OEM had 2nd cable coming through top to move slide)

Problem is when I ordered a replacement Cable from NICHE (#C-CBL-0061) the Cable wire is a little short, not allowing Throttle to return all the way down to Idle position. I called NICHE and they are at a loss. Haven't gotten back to me after 2+ weeks.

What would you recommend other than a carb rebuild?
      Can I just use 1 of the OEM cables (It is the right length) and snip/disconnect the other that went to top of Carb for Slide?
      Or ??

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

Dave
    • By Louznmemind
      Howdy y'all, I'm trying to fix a neighbors 2015 Brute Force 300. Came in with hard to start and won't idle except on choke issue. I pulled the carb and found the pilot jet as well as the emulsion tube partially clogged. Cleaned up everything, put it back together, still having issues...  It will start right up on choke and will also start off choke if you give it just a touch of throttle but it absolutely will not idle unless it's choked just a touch. Also, excuse my ignorance but I'm assuming the "dial" thingy attached to the carb that turns in and out is for setting idle?? 
    • By DarkRider
      This is something I'm extremely curious about. Has anyone ever attempted to buy a quad (or any other vehicle) from an impound lot? I've always wondered if this could be a bargain, or a waste of time. Google searches do turn up some helpful results. Looks like the state of NJ holds auctions online which I'd be a bit hesitant about.

My online searches haven't really turned up any results of anyone buying an ATV this way. I'd be really curious if anyone tried this, or knows someone who has. I've actually found a couple pages with online auctions for my state, but none had ATVs.