Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

dusty011

2005 Polaris 500 H/O efi - Starter Issues

new to site !!

Power washed a 2006 500 h/o efi x2 last night and now it wont start havent really looked at it but thought i might figure out where to start.

Started fine before I washed with power washer under the seat.

Turn key on fuel pump cycles and then just clicks at solinoid as I try to start it, doesnt seem to be sending power to starter!!then get this weird buzzing,clicking sound coming from somewhere by the carberator. Battery is good load tested it fully charged. quick pull with the cord fires right up.

Again it was late last night never really spent any time to check all connections.

Never had this problem with my arcticat hahah!!!

Thanks

That was supposed to say where water WASN'T suppoed to be. Most MFG'S warn against using high pressure spray when cleaning your quad, in some cases it can even void your warranty. I'm guilty of doing it too but I try to stay away from electrical components while cleaning with the pressure washer. Hopefully just letting it dry out fixes your problem. You could try pulling the fusebox cover and starter relay to let it air dry even quicker. DON'T try drying it out with compressed air!! That can push water around even worse.

yes, like Mudflap64 said, stay away from electrical boxes. my dad told me as a kid when washing/spraying anything with a motor, to have it running while doing so. i use the pressure washer to clean my bike and i let it idle and had no problems ... (knock wood)

Thanks for the Help guys.. After I got home took it all apart cleaned all terminals and it still did the same thing gave the starter another really good hit and whola it started to work again I guess it was a fluke and there is a bad spot in the starter.

Thanks Again Great Forum..

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Flanstone
      I just bought two 1985 TRX250's from my father-in-law. One runs great, the other not so much. The one is having issues with the shifter. The shifter seems to be resting lower than normal. When I press the shifter downward, it just pops back up. Any thougjts as to what the issue might be?
    • By Anthony Marceau
      Hi everyone! I have a 1986 yamaha moto4 200 that's been sitting for a while! Cleaned the carb, replaced engine oil, put fresh gas in it. Got it running and went for a ride! It was running great just a little backfire once in a while! I barely made it home on the way back and now the bike won't run at all since then! It will start if I give a little bit of throttle but dies instantly as soon as I let go off the throttle! And even if I try to rev it up it'll sound like its not getting enough gas.. it revs up a couple hundred rpm's and backfires through the carb.. it almost sounds as if I was trying to take off from zero in 5th gear! Nothing is seized though! I dissasembled the head and the piston and cylinder are fine! Rebuilt the carb, replaced the ignition source coil.. I don't know what to do anymore.. compression test shows 90 psi Specs are 128 psi but i'm not sure if I trust my compression tester.. any ideas? Thanks!!
    • By Snowden
      Hi everyone,
      I have a question, if the starter clutch gear looks fine but is still not working correctly then all I should need to replace is the one way bearing, right?
      thanks,
    • By Blue
      Hey all I have a question on my 94 fourtrax 4x4. The electric start won't work. When I hit the button I hear the solenoid clicking but nothing happening. I put on a new solenoid and same thing happened. So I took off starter and checked it, brushes looked good nothing looked out of the ordinary. My battery is putting out 11.2 volts. I wouldn't think that would be it since I put a newer battery in from my other quad and still got same results. Any ideas I'm scratching my head on this one.
    • By Pure_Michigan
      I bought this old three wheeler that I found in a barn. It looked pretty rough, but I have it running now and functioning.
      With the switch set to "run" and the key in the "on" position the electric starter does not work when I push the starter button,
      However, if I cross the solenoid it will work and it will start the engine - so I know the starter motor is good and it works.
      Now, it gets a little mysterious. When the engine is running, AND the headlight is on high beam, the electric starter will engage when the starter button is pushed.....When its already running! (when the headlight is off or on "low" the starter button does nothing, only when running and in high beam will you hear the starter motor zing when you push the starter button) So, I know the button actually works, but only after the engine is already running and the high beam is on!
      So to recap: with the key on, the starter button does nothing. crossing the solenoid will make the starter work, and after the engine is running the starter will work with the button!
      Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone point me in the right direction on solving this one?
      Thanks!