chevy2008

1997 Polaris 425 6x6 Carb Help

I bought a 1997 polaris 425 6x6 and the guy told me the carb was bad....so I bought a new one..easy to install but wont run good..Where the breather or filter hooks to the back of the card there is a black I call snorkel...well if i sqeeze it closed a little bit and rev it up it seems to run 90 % better but as soon as i let go so its gettn all there air it pops and spits..cant even drive it....so i put a tie rap around it so it says closed some and runs ok....but then if I put it n reverse and back up it back fires....ca1n anyone help me out here? im stupid when it comes to wheelers... I dont see any adjustment screws for your fuel or air...why isnt there any..Help

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

ok i figured out the reverse thing....stupid on my part..i guess there is an override button for reverse lol..but need help on the other thing

So if my carb is gettn to much air and not enough fuel ...can i adjust it by taking the diaphragm cover off and raise or lower the jet needle?

It depends at what stage you are starving for gas. The needle affects mid range. You should do a plug chop at 1/4 1/2 and 3/4 throttle.

yes about 1/3 throttle it seems like its starving for gas...i just bought the new carb...i do see a adjustment screw on the bottom side of the carb...it would be hard to adjust if that has anything to do with the air and gas....but was told under the top cover there is a needle valve that can be adjusted...right now i have the breather intake hole closed off a little just so it would run someway decent but i shouldnt have to do that..ideals fine though

PM Cheriah maybe you can sort out your carb problem. She is a whiz when it comes to carbs. So is Swampcat!

What year, make, and model is your atv?

Disregard, I merged your 2 carb threads into this one, since they are the same topic. :wink: