Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

ponyboy1995

2000 ltf250 Quadrunner turns over but having trouble starting

My 4 wheeler has been starting and running great since I purchased it. I changed theoil yesterday and afterwards I went to start it to let it idle so I could recheck the oil and for some reason it would not start. I let it sit for about 15min and tried again and stillnothing. I sprayed carb cleaner into the air intake and it started after a couple of tries. It ran great and started right up every time after. I tried it again later that night and it started right up. I went out to ride it this afternoon and it would not start. I tried sprayingthecarb cleaner again but itdid not work. I checked to make sure I was getting a spark and I am. I can't believethatchanging theoilwould stop it from starting. Any suggestions? Yourhelp is appreciated. Thanks, Joe __________

If the problem is starting a COLD engine only (IE it starts fine when warm, but not cold), its the intake valve. Check the intake valve lash. If the valve is tight, that means you have a crappy air filter and/or a loose connection letting dirt into the engine. Now that the hardness is worn off the valve, you're going to have to adjust the valve pretty frequently until the valve finally wears away.

The oil change might have been a coincidence.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• 1994 Yamaha big bear 350 Starting Issues

I have a 1994 big bear and I am starting to have issues starting. I put in a new starter and selnoid as the at stopped starting with the electrical but will still start with the pull cord. Where and what now should I be looking at to check? If I turn key to on and the switch to on then hit the start button, the bike clicks and then nothing. Lights still work but no response to the starter. Stumped now. Any help would be greAt.

By Scoopeddad, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 14 replies
    • 2005 Polaris Trail Blazer 250 won't start

Hi guys, trying to get a quad running again. It was running fine but the electric start did not work. My uncle was using it and the pull start snapped. So I replaced the pull start and electric starter motor. Now it just cranks and cranks but will not start. I have spark, I have fuel to the carb, I know this is a 2 stroke with a separate oil tank, what else should i check?

By TheJester517, in Polaris ATV Forum

• 7 replies
    • YFM250 carb problems not running right

I have a yamaha beartracker 250 (yfm250) its not running right. starts fine mostly ...idles but if i give it gas it boggs out and dies before it even can carry its self ... I cleaned the carb ... put everything back and same issue. so i bought a new carb and intake boot.... replaced both things and still the issue persists.  So i have a new carb .... does the Air fuel mixture need to be set on the new carb? If so how do i do that? i ave looked everywhere for details on my bike and carb but cannot find anywhere that reads that the skrew needs to be adjusted out to  7 full turns or somthing to that effect..   The bike ran fine until bad gas was put into it... i did remove and empty the gas tank. removed petcock cleaned and rebuilt that..... i also noticed that the new carb ....the bottom skrew for draining the bowl was closed all the way when i got it.. carb wouldnt get gas until i loosened it... now the bowl will drain ... i thought that that float stops this from happeneing....am i wrong?      

By Austin Phillips, in General ATV Discussion

• 2 replies
    • Kazuma Falcon 150 First Successful Start

Kazuma Falcon 150 First successful start after several years of employment. She was relieved to find that nothing was connected, everything was cut off, incomplete. No pipes or pipes, parts are missing $ 175!There was hardly a screw, the fasteners had plastic fasteners!  Kazuma Falcon 150.mp4

By Knave, in Kazuma ATV Forum

• 0 replies
    • Kazuma 250 won't start

I have a kazuma 250 utility atv, I believe it's a gator and this thing will not start for anything. I've got good spark and it will turn over but will not fire up. I can't find any kind of manual with useful info on this thing. Can any1 tell me what the stock car. Settings r on it so I can make sure they r rite.... I don't think tat s my problem but the more I can rule out the closer I can get 2 a solution. Thanks! 

By Bobbi-Marie Giordano, in Kazuma ATV Forum

• 5 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By johnwayne
      i have a 2000 suzuki king quad lt-f300f that i picked up as a project bike. it didnt run well when it was parked outside 5 years ago. it cranked after putting fresh gas - but would not run below half throttle, i took apart the carb, cleaned debris, and re-assembled. i suspect that the pilot needle is sheared off - it never protrudes into the throttle body through the pinhole. now to get the bike to ALMOST idle, the throttle idle adjustment knob is all the way up/in. the pilot needle is turned almost all the way in/up (if i understand correct, it should nominally be out 2 1/4 turns or so). and like i said, it will ALMOST idle. floods easily, rides rough.
      wanted to hear from those more experienced than me with suzukis - and im self-taught atv repair, so dont laugh too hard if my verbiage/part names is way off. 
      facing the driver's side of the bike [US] there are three hoses on this side of the carb. without a service manual or way of knowing what was messed up before i got it, i think i have them right: front hose as a vacuum to the petcock, middle hose as vacuum to the fuel pump, rear hose as fuel line from the fuel pump. running the bike in prime position results in flooding even while riding. with all hoses disconnected from the carb, fuel slowly drips from the vacuum line connected to the petcock.
      so just my speculation is that the diaphragm in the petcock is split, and the pilot needle is broke off - causing my inability to not quite idle and the rough ride. this suzuki is hoses and cables everywhere compared to the honda ranchers and yamaha warriors i am used to. I would like to have a plan rather than: replace everything at once.
      is my speculation on the right track, or could something else be at play? say, if the compression was non-existent, would that cause non-idling? i am all ears, look forward to the input.
    • By skymankila69
      I traded my dirt bike for a 2000 arctic cat 500 semi automatic. when i went to go pick it up the guy said it didn't get spark, so i thought it was going to be something simple like a coil. well it wasn't. first thing i did was take all the plastics off to get easy asses to every thing. so i bought a brand new battery for it seeing if it got power, it didn't. the dash wouldn't light up neither would the lights, so then i tried to see if the starter worked it didn't so i jumped the solenoid and the starter started turning over the motor. so i bought a new starter solenoid, when i installed it the electric start still wouldn't work , so i bought a new kill switch and starter switch that goes on the handle bars, when i installed it, the electric start still wouldn't work. so then i went to see if i could get spark by pull starting it, i didn't get any spark, so i bought a new spark plug, and guess what, still no spark, so then i bought a new coil for it to see if that would fix it. so i installed the new coil and guess what no spark still and still no power to the dash. so to sum it up i'm not getting any power any where to the four wheeler. so i cleaned all the leads and plugs and still nothing. so then yesterday i took the wiring apart to see if their was any frayed wires, and no their wasn't. does any one have any ideas what this could be i'm up for anything. also if any one knows how to bypass all the wiring just to get it to start i open to that to, or if someone knows where  i can get a wiring diagram.
    • By quinnkaeb
      i have recently purchased a yamaha kodiak ultramatic 400cc. it is used and sat outside for a long time. i have done a lot of work on it and got it to run sort of. when i try to start it, it will start and run for a little bit then it will die, the time it runs varies. it has a new cdi, spark plug, and stator. most of the time it wont even start it just cranks over. there was one time that it started up right away and ran perfectly but the next time i tryed it wouldnt start. before that one time every time it started and ran it had a popping sound. i cant figure out why it wont run. any help would be muchly appreciated! thanks!
    • By Jers
      I need to know what I have and what tire really go on it, Mine has 24x11x10 on the back and 22x8x10 on the front and I need new tire but I don't think are the right size. Also I can't find the model number listed but it looks like a 250 quadrunner 2wd and I think it is a 1987 maybe, can anyone help me, also I it has a rich running sound and I put a carb diap in it and cleaned the carb. is there a jet needing replaced?
    • By vinnied
      I can get about 30 mph (speed) Took the filter off still the same. Took the carb off all the jets look good. All new gas. What else could I look at?