Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

KX420Guy

1999 Honda Foreman 400, White Smoke, Ticking

Hey guys, Im new here but I recently Picked up a '99 Foreman 400 that apparently just had a top end rebuild. It blows white smoke like crazy and ticks/knocks and seems to follow the rpm's. I haven't done to much trouble shooting yet, It starts and runs like a champ and has good compression. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to where to go.

Oh ya the top end rebuild the guy did was according to him he honed the cylinder and replaced the piston and rings, my fear is an ovaled cylinder?

(ticking) Someone put a new top end on a worn bottom end.

(Smoke) busted oil ring or bad valve seals and or guides.

Edited by gaquad

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By WIJBIRD
      Good morning!
      I have a 1999 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 and I need to rebuild the carb. I have the dual-cable throttle model and I'm having a terrible time finding the correct kit for it. I'm not opposed to replacing it, but the only ones I'm seeing do not have the dual cable throttle system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Jay in WI

P.S. I can send pictures if necessary.
    • By HeWasRidinDirty
      This 700 was run out of oil. Seized the con rod to the crank....yada yada. So, I rebuilt the engine and now it will start and run for about 5 seconds and die. I replaced the fuel pump with a cheapie from ebay and it didn't change. I replaced the O-rings on the injector and still didn't change. So, the tech at the Yamaha shop said that the most likely problem is the cheapo fuel pump. I got another more expensive one and it still didn't change things. I asked him where the power to the injector comes from and he said the CDI box. But since the thing does run a little, he  ruled that out. Any thoughts?????
    • By John conway
      My quad will start sometimes than just die well it’s running than won’t start again for a day , put in new battery same problem and it seems to drain battery any help would be great
    • By Bruce Madsen
      Riding last week and the machine shut off, towed it back to camp and discovered that the ignition fuse was blown.  Replaced the fuse and as soon as I hit the starter button it blows again. Is there any component that might cause the issue?  I checked the wiring runs and could not find any wire breaks. Using multimeter I see a short on the orange wire from the fuse block.
    • By pablo Blake
      Its in pretty rough shape and its gonna be my first atv, I worked on bikes before but nothing to do with quads. Anyways the quad has some problems and im tryna figure out what to focus on first. So the U joints i think are shot. The bike starts first try every time ussually have to give it a lil gas with the throttle and revs right up, idles fine but its running REALLY rich 3 starts and my brand new plug was pitch black

Bike is L model

video-1577465068.mp4

Its using the original mikuni carb but im not the best at fixing the carbs and wondering if there is anywhere online that would be able to either walk me through it or help me with it i didnt see a air mixture screw so it seems like im gonna half to open it up and adjust like the float and a couple other things
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By sloundez
      Does anyone out there know where I can get a functional pair of wheel cylinders for subject ATV? Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks
    • By Billie
      :confused:need a repair manual or help in what to look for thank you Bill
      for you muddober to make clear to you the neutral light and the gear light
      do not light up win shifting fuses are good Iuse my CAt for hunting im dissable the atv is my leag s thank you
    • By kiwisteve
      Hi Folks
      MY Ltf 400 has power and electric start turns motor over, but wont start...
      seems no spark
      im told stalled in paddock and wont start again
      any suggestions please
    • By izzydum1
      Any ideas on what would make a coil not fire? She was running fine, then began slow start. Now wont start at all.
    • By Npeters
      Im working on a old 1987 honda 125 4 wheeler in the school shop. It will start by getting pulled by another 4 wheeler but wont start with the pull start or Electric Start. When you pull start it it tries to start but when you try the electric start it just turns over but doesnt even act like it wants to start. The spark plug is dry and it shoots fuel out of the back(air filter side) of the carb. Weve had the carb off twice and it is complety clean. What are some things we can try?