Quantcast

Arctic Cat 2006 ATV 500. The battery is dead overnight. Recharges fine with 1 amp charger. I disconnected the negative cable from the battery and put a meter between that post and the cable with everything turned off. It read a 10 volt draw. I pulled each fuse one at a time. The power draw went to zero when I pulled the ACC fuse and no others. The engine starts and runs without the fuse but the display panel keeps starting to show then goes off briefly. The display works fine with the fuse in place.

What is the most likely culprit? How do I get to it? How do I fix it.

Edited by Photo72

• 2 weeks later...

You need to measure how much current is being drawn by the battery. Set the meter to amps and do what you did to the battery wire. You need to find out how much current is being drawn. It is normal for the pod to use a very small amount to keep the clock going, but it will not draw down a battery overnight. The ACC fuse is for your accessories including the display of the pod. It is common for the winch control, hand warmers to be attached to the accessory circuit. There is usually a 2 prong connector under your steering column for these accessories. If you have a winch and/or handwarmers. Disconnect them and see if the current drops to almost nothing.

You could also have rubbed through wires near the steering post, but I would check the above first.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I checked the amps and it was minimal. I do not have a winch or hand warmer so that part was easy. I found a way to examine all the console wires and could not find any rub signs. A new battery is now in place and lasts at least 24 hours. I am sure you had the expert advise. Thanks Keith

Check your voltage regulator/rectifier. If it is bad it will drain your battery in about two days.

Thanks for the tip but I think it was a bad battery and maybe a wire next to the steering column. It now has sat 3 days and all is still good

(Too hot to ride)

Would the regulator be on the ACC fuse? I don't know.

Looking at the schematic, the output from the regulator / rectifier connects to a "red splice" in the harness which is a main hot wire lead. Although the ACC fuse is on that circuit as well, it also branches to the main 30amp fuse.

The only way to know if the regulator is sucking power off the battery is to disconnect it and see if that draw on the battery drops.

Mike