Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

data89

LED display readout barely readable

2005 Arctic Cat LE 500cc. This last year the led readout has basically faded to where you can barely see it. This cat is always covered or inside, when not riding, so it's not due to sunlight fadeout I don't believe. Where does it get its' power from Is it from ECU under the seat?

I would pull the connector to the pod and clean it with electronic cleaner spray then reconnect it first. Its also called contact cleaner, you can get it at any auto parts store.

Mike

I would pull the connector to the pod and clean it with electronic cleaner spray then reconnect it first. Its also called contact cleaner, you can get it at any auto parts store.

Mike

I have had the connector apart. The contacts were nice and clean, I should have checked voltage. Odd thing is, the fading is mostly from outside in, with the outside areas dark fading to light.

Mine went completely out overnight!!! Wheeler stays in garage when not being ridden.

Just now, TIMBOv2 said:

Mine went completely out overnight!!! Wheeler stays in garage when not being ridden.

Back light still works though. Just no read out.

On 10/10/2016 at 10:33 PM, TIMBOv2 said:

Back light still works though. Just no read out.

Check your accessory fuse first, if thats good, unplug the quad from the battery overnight, that sometimes resets the pod.

Mike

I checked the fuse...okay. Disconnected battery overnight...still dim. Maybe the grounds are getting corroded? When I get back I will start with that. I'm in another country right now and won't be back until January, so be patient, I will be back on this subject then. Thanks, Larry

Whenever  you  have  dimmed lights or something like tail/ brake lights   working with headlamps off,  but not when  on, the first thing to  check  is the ground for the lights  or display.  The same applies  for   starters  not spinning over properly. Check the  ground cable  first  if  you  know   the battery  is  fully  charged. One trick many don't  know  is to   cover the  battery terminals with  grease or vaseline.  It  protects  them  from  corrosion from acid vapors from the  battery and from  general  corrosion  associated  from the  air  and road  grime/ salt  that  might find its way to the terminals. It's  a trick you should  use on  all  your  mobile gear ,  from  quads , bikes, boats  to  your  car  and truck.  The  newer SLA  and  gel  batteries  aren't  nearly  as prone to terminal corrosion,  but  greasing them   still  helps  keep   other   corrosive contaminants  like  salt  off them.

2 hours ago, davefrombc said:

Whenever  you  have  dimmed lights or something like tail/ brake lights   working with headlamps off,  but not when  on, the first thing to  check  is the ground for the lights  or display.  The same applies  for   starters  not spinning over properly. Check the  ground cable  first  if  you  know   the battery  is  fully  charged. One trick many don't  know  is to   cover the  battery terminals with  grease or vaseline.  It  protects  them  from  corrosion from acid vapors from the  battery and from  general  corrosion  associated  from the  air  and road  grime/ salt  that  might find its way to the terminals. It's  a trick you should  use on  all  your  mobile gear ,  from  quads , bikes, boats  to  your  car  and truck.  The  newer SLA  and  gel  batteries  aren't  nearly  as prone to terminal corrosion,  but  greasing them   still  helps  keep   other   corrosive contaminants  like  salt  off them.

Good info Dave. I've come to that conclusion only recently, but at this time the ATV is at my home in Panama where I will be in January. So please wait and I will be sure to let everyone know what finally fixes it. I intend to take the crash bars, and plastic totally off and go through all the wires, as we have a lot of corrosion problems there. Also have a fuel problem that comes and goes, so I will be replacing all the gas and vent lines, cleaning the carb again and cleaning out the fuel tank and filter (which is where I think that problem stems. Thanks, Larry.