Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Anthony Marceau

1986 Yamaha Moto4 200 YFM200 Ignition problems! Please help!!

Hi everyone! I have a 1986 yamaha moto4 200 that's been sitting for a while! Cleaned the carb, replaced engine oil, put fresh gas in it. Got it running and went for a ride! It was running great just a little backfire once in a while! I barely made it home on the way back and now the bike won't run at all since then! It will start if I give a little bit of throttle but dies instantly as soon as I let go off the throttle! And even if I try to rev it up it'll sound like its not getting enough gas.. it revs up a couple hundred rpm's and backfires through the carb.. it almost sounds as if I was trying to take off from zero in 5th gear! Nothing is seized though! I dissasembled the head and the piston and cylinder are fine! Rebuilt the carb, replaced the ignition source coil.. I don't know what to do anymore.. compression test shows 90 psi Specs are 128 psi but i'm not sure if I trust my compression tester.. any ideas? Thanks!!

Clean the  carb and  look  closely  at it for  plugged  holes  in the  sides of the jet  tubes . Blow  out the  passages  in the  carb too.  Your  description of the  problem  is classic lean  running from  fuel  starvation caused  by a plugged  jet or passage .

Done, done and done! I just rebuilt the carb yesterday with brand new parts.. the carb is clean! I noticed it's spitting gas mist from the carburetor as if the intake valve wasn't closing all the way! Valve clearances seem good and timing too!