Quantcast

Cvt durability

Tommy K

5 hours ago, Tommy K said:

What are the pros and cons of cvt?  Are they reliable?

Most utility type atvs nowadays have a CVT type transmission driven by a belt.  Its easier to ride than a manual shift and if you are talking about a 4WD ATV, they are pretty durable with only belt maintenance.  Hit the gas and go.

I read a review of quads and only one was not CVT, they chose it over the rest cause its not a CVT (I'm sure among other reasons as well, they just stated that).

I know my side by side is a CVT, and I'm looking at going Kubota since its not.

But I also lived in steep terrain and want something that'll work hard.  If I were "racing" I'd probably be fine with a CVT.

A cvt for racing???  I suppose the big 4x4's in XC racing.

Anyways, if you ride steep terrain, shifting in the middle of a hill sucks and possibly dangerous.

A CVT is highly dependable and is always in the right gear (ratio). You'll think of this when on a hill, trust me on that.

I love Honda's but my Rancher will be the last one for me till they (honda) comes out with a CVT. Even their auto shift still has that second of loss of momentum when shifting.

I think your version of steep terrain and mine are different... but thats why people have opinions... also, mine doesn't engine brake (CVT) very well.  Given that their both diesels and I do live/drive on steep terrain that is a very big plus (if I had it).

BTW, my driveway is paved, and I've had vehicles not make it up the "steep" side...

Dont ya love it when some idiot comes all the way down your country road that is a dead end and gets stuck trying to back out of your driveway! ya see headlights and the next thing ya know there is a knock on the door! sorry buddy better get a tow truck

Sorry rant, ive had no issues with cf moto cvt  i grew up shifting but my wife and son just refused to try to ride my old ones but i dont have any trouble getting her on it now

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By BenJammin
      I did a compression test on my 2005 Bombardier Traxter 650 CVT and it's 75 PSI.  service manual only talks about leak down test.  No specification for engine compression the manual.  What does 75 PSI tell me?  Thank in advance.

A little history of this machine.  640 miles.  Picked it up about 2 years ago, not running. Probably the computer.  Tested all circuits and confirm it was the computer.  Long story short, I watched a Youtube video and fixed the computer. ATV now started and runs.  BUT, it tops out 20 MPH.  I cleaned the carb 3 times also using a Mikuni carb kit after the second time.  Slide in carb is going up and down.  Only adjustment for fuel is at 1.5 turns out.  NGK Sparkplug had soot on main part but brown on the electrode.  Champion sparkplug is brown.  I check CVT clutches and they both appear to engage like they suppose to.  Checked valve clearance it's 0.00, I can't get any feeler gauges in-between.  I check timing chain I believe it's in the correct position and hasn't skipped.  I removed muffler plug and drilled into muffler to try and make sure it wasn't plugged.
    • By Gwbarm
      It seems every ATV i look at to buy used has no title, does everyone loose there title, or do they change hands so often the title is lost in the shuffle. The ones that do have titles are triple the price. I am new to buying used quads is this pretty standard procedure.
      I know all quads are good and tough but thought it might be good to hear opinions as to what member think is the best, from your experiences.
    • By dlw
      i have a 2016 kymco uxv 700i and i am having issues with transmission. it makes a horrible noise in 2 wheel and wont move. it will move in 4 wheel but still makes noise. has anyone had this same issue?
    • By ericggg
      Hi, all 
      I have a 2010 Honda try 420 at and I'm having an issue with the transmission.  Every now and then the while riding the transmission goes into neutral or stays in gear high or low.  Recently while riding it stayed in 4th gear, had to come to a stop and rock it back and forth and it want back to first.  Did any one have similar issues and what can be the diagnosis to this problem and is it worth fixing.  I called the Honda atv dealer and told them what happened and they said it's going to be $2000-$3000 to fix that seems crazy.  Any help or idea will be greatly appreciated.  
      Thank you all 
    • By jatho
      Does anyone know what year they stopped producing the King Quad 300? - particularly in Australia and New Zealand 
      What were the design changes?