Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

1984 Honda trx200 no spark

Aidan

Hey

so this is my last resort. My 1984 Honda trx200 does not have spark. Note: I can’t attempt any repairs until 1/2/19

Ill break everything down. 

Pre-Issue: 

Before the problem started. I noticed the atv was having a hard time starting and would stall out often. I assumed this was because of a fuel issue and I took off the fuel tank and noticed a bunch of rust/dirt inside. I cleaned it the best I could and took the carb off and it had stuff inside and a clogged jet so I cleaned it, put on a new fuel line, and added a fuel filter after realizing it hadn’t had one in over 5 years. After that I changed over to super (fuel) and noticed it had less power. I ran it like that and kept adjusting the air/fuel.

The Problem:

One day I was riding in like 95% humidity (wasn’t quite raining but it felt like it was) and I parked it and turned it off. It took about an hour of cranking and sitting till it ran. Later that day it did the same thing except it would start. I noticed I had spark but it would ignite the fuel then just spin. 

I got it home and had been trying to find the problem when I noticed I no longer had spark. 

What I tried:

I tested the stator, replaced the spark plug wire/coil. Replaced the CDI box with a known working one. Replaced the spark plug. Also I noticed the positive to the battery had two wires going to it and tied together (see picture below) was butchered. I cut the wire off and cleaned the connection and put the wire on its own connection and attached it to the battery. After all this I still have so spark. 

Aditional notes:

I have had problems with the NGK plug not working after the first use in the past.

Also when I tested the wires from the CDI I noticed it would spike on the multimeter when I released the starter button. I took apart the CDI in my diagnosis and noticed brown rust looking stuff all over it. I cleaned it and put it back on. 

I also tested the battery and it is at 12.5V

2A18A889-EF35-42E8-86EC-4708567EEED1.jpeg

8E667B68-9633-4A78-9F1B-EF8F7E6205FC.jpeg

Edited by Aidan

First try a new spark plug if you have had similar problems with that before. Next thing I would do is to verify that any safety switches (neutral relay etc.) if equipped, are working. Check the spots in the wire harness that ground to the frame, clean the grounds. Kill switch working properly? Ignition switch working? Lots of things to check as always lol. Good-luck and keep us updated.

• Like 1

I did disconnect the main kill switch and it changed nothing. I noticed one ground looked pretty rusted. I attempted to take it off but snapped the bolt in half in the process. I moved it to another spot that worked. I will check everything else when I can. 

15 minutes ago, 06kfx440 said:

Replace the cdi. If there was brown stuff in it. I bet it's fried. Cdi's usually aren't ment to be worked on or taken apart.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I’m not talking about the actual cdi box computer. I’m talking about this (see pic)

if that’s what your referring to then sorry I  misunderstood. 

C8C37F74-AA00-41F7-8328-3DEC18C07C79.jpeg

The voltage spike that you see is the draw on the battery when the engine is cranking. 

My guess is the pick up coil is prob on its way out. And since you have to open that cover up to replace it I would replace the stator coil as well.  Especially If you replaced the cdi with a known working one and it didn’t correct the problem.  Have a look at the rectifier ad well.