Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

I have a 2005 Arctic Cat 500 with a susuki motor, 2500 hours.  I was riding it yesterday, came out this morning, will turn over but no start.  I have spark and fuel.  Took carb off and cleaned it.  Back firing out of exhaust and air intake.  Not sure how one day it runs but 12 hours later it won't.  Just need some pointers on where to look.

It’s possable that the timing chain jumped when you shut the bike down. Check the timing first and see how it looks.   Then check the plug and see if it’s flooded out and the color of the plug.  Maybe the float in the carb is stuck.  But start with the timing.  

Try a new spark plug first,sometimes they foul for no particular reason. Check the valve adjustment, both intake and exhaust. This is an annual  check/adjustment that rarely gets done when it should. Suzuki's are know for suffering tight valves due to wear on the valve faces and seats. This is what i usually check first with the kinda reverse backfire symptom. The 500 Zooks are pretty tough engines. Other than that i'll need more info for a better diagnosis. Good Luck!

On 1/14/2019 at 12:38 AM, Kent Mettler said:

Try a new spark plug first,sometimes they foul for no particular reason. Check the valve adjustment, both intake and exhaust. This is an annual  check/adjustment that rarely gets done when it should. Suzuki's are know for suffering tight valves due to wear on the valve faces and seats. This is what i usually check first with the kinda reverse backfire symptom. The 500 Zooks are pretty tough engines. Other than that i'll need more info for a better diagnosis. Good Luck!

exactly what happened 3 times on my bayou- fouled sp...  but yea, If a bike wont start, I always check these first:  gas, fuel valve is on, kill switch is not flipped, choke setting, spark, sp, air intake (for any clogging), compression, carb, then maybe timing, and other stuff...  Most of the time, it doesnt go that far haha-  it should be one of the above

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Brock Kincaid
      Ok so just picked up an 02 ds 650 and the guy said he couldn't get it to start. He had a shop put new shims in it and I had them checked and they were ok now things I've done is new plugs even though guy had just put new plugs in it.. got new carb 42mm just like the one that was on it.. bought new intake manifold because the one that was on it someone got way to tweaked out and ported the shit out of it excuse my language but yeah so installed new intake manifold and it just won't start like its not getting enough fuel.  Timing seems to be right it does fire every now and again but just barely.. did a compression test today and it was at 90psi.. i know thats low but don't know where I'm losing compression.. valves we at .06 and .07 when checked im lost ive tried everything I know and can't figure it out
    • By Gary Mier
      1997 Yamaha 350 Warrior, should there be oil in the stator area? Have a no spark situation.
    • By Nick Gudex
      Hello I am new to this site and I havea problem. I have a 1987 big bear 4x4 that will not spark. I tested pick up coil per repair manual and I tested my new coil both ok. It puts out 9 volts at the coil but It is reversed polarity. So when I hook my meter up to it she shows -9 volts while cranking. When I put a test light  on it it flashes. Being an electric system this should tell me something but I don't know what its telling me. I have yet to meet one i could not fix but this old girl has me stumped. Any help would be awesome. Thanks to all.
      Nick
    • By Chase Cook
      Have a 2001 polaris sportsman 500 4x4 atv and when I put coolant in the radiator it starts leaking from the exhaust. The valves are sealed but it stopped making compression. Do I need to just replace the head? I just rebuilt the hole top end and this is the only thing +valves that I have not replaced and was wondering if that is why it's not starting up. Need answers please.
    • By Bebe
      Hey guys I'm new here. I have a 88 warrior that has intermittent spark. When I got the bike the guy said it needed a stator.  So I tested the stator and the Source coil has .310,  Trigger coil has .363 an .367,  Alternator side has .05 to .06 on the three. Which all seem in range. I did find that the ignition coil was bad and replaced it. After I  put the new coil on i got spark but only now and then. The bike won't spark while I'm holding the start button,  but as soon as I let off it will spark sometimes. I ended up unplugging the voltage regulator and it will spark every time I let off the start button, but still will not spark while I'm  holding it. What could this be?

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Ajmboy
      Disconnected the plow yesterday on my 2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 and am getting ready to do some riding yesterday and the battery went weak, Starter cranked a few times but week. Put my trickle charger on that I bought and went to the garage today to start it up, but the starter is just spinning and not engaging. The solenoid is clicking. The pull start sucks and is hard to pull (never use it and need to look into that). Quick video of the starter spinning. Could it be the starter or  the starter clutch one-way bearing? I guess I need to take the cover off to see what's going on.

2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Starter Spinning.mp4
    • By Bill c
      I have this 1986 LT230GE that will not start without a shot of starting fluid. I have set the valves rebuilt the carburetor and will start after using starting fluid after it has sat idle for two or three days. any sugestions
    • By Arizona
      So few months ago I acquired a 01 Explorer 4x4 (think its a 350 but not sure) 
      Anyway the owner said it started reving very high, shut the key off and still kept running 
      until finally he shut off fuel and it finally died. During the run away he said the exhaust got 
      red hot and has melted plastics to prove it. Said some thing flew out the tail pipe, I kinda figured
      it was the top of the piston. Anyway finally got around to looking at it (have a lot of other projects in the works)
      and checked the compression, Shows about 40 psi. Can hear air coming out the carb while rotating the motor over. 
      Gonna pull it apart eventually, don't hear any noises or binding in the stroke, You think the piston came apart? 
      any horror stories of these and is it worth my effort and money? Don't really have any money in it yet. Thoughts? Az

• By Dee Wilson
      Hey there,
      The short of it: I'm getting a single click when I hit the start, and nothing else.
      The long: I'm a new owner to a 94 Timberwolf. I inherited it with the understanding that it needed a battery. It started without the battery when jumped, so I know it does work. I got the appropriate battery, charged it, and its reading 12.7V. Installed it, and all I'm getting is that click. Cleaned the carburetor today and reinstalled under someones advice, but still nothing. I'm gonna take the battery in to autozone to get it checked, and I was going to head to the spark plug next. But like I say, I'm new to this. Thanks for any and all advice.
    • By Scoopeddad
      I have a 1994 big bear and I am starting to have issues starting. I put in a new starter and selnoid as the at stopped starting with the electrical but will still start with the pull cord. Where and what now should I be looking at to check? If I turn key to on and the switch to on then hit the start button, the bike clicks and then nothing. Lights still work but no response to the starter. Stumped now. Any help would be greAt.