Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

2004 Yamaha Kodiak 400 Ultramatic help

Alan Callison

OK everybody,I need some help here please. My 4 wheeler has got a bad wheel bearing I discovered while starting a brake job. Its on the left side. I've never done one and I need some knowledge how to go about it. Am I to understand I need to pull the whole axle out to do it. I've done it once on a car about 30 years ago,lol. I keep looking around for a repair manual but they're hard to find without having to buy it. I looked here on this site but apparently Im too junior a member to be able to download one right now.Bummer!  One other question if I may.When I pulled the drum off the spindle a torrent of water poured out,the brake shoes were covered in mud along with everything else. I mean the drum had alot of water in it. The shoes were so locked up after I removed the springs I tried to rotate one of the shoes and it wasn't easy at all. I noticed whoever had the machine before myself had laid a bead of RTV around the back plate but apparently it didn't work. Isn't there some kind of gasket for this purpose. I saw it calls for a dust shield but surely this wont keep the brakes dry or will it. Thanks everybody.

You'll need to replace #31 and 33 to keep the water out of the brakes.  Also pull out #17 and clean it up then grease it so it turns easily.  I'd replace #38 also.

As for the axle, it comes out from the right side and it may take a few taps with a hammer to get out.  Put the nut on the end of the axle before hammering to avoid messing the threads up.  There are wheel bearing kits out there that have #10, 12, 13 & 14.  I'd replace the right side bearing as well.  You'll need a long punch to hammer the old bearings out.  Grease the new seals before installing.

Y04YFM400FAS35.gif

• Like 1

Great Wanrep.I picked up the bearing replacement kit Im ready to go now Thank you. Ive run into another question tho,lol,never ends does it?! The cover plate #30 has a dust seal in the center. I got one at the local sport shop but they gave me the wrong part.The new one looks like just a big metal washer.I watched the parts guy pull it up on the comp,he put the right part # in but when it arrived it looked like a washer about the size of a silver dollar,maybe just a bit bigger. Im gonna take a pic back to him with the part # so I can get the right piece. I need to replace it cause its all torn up but I see that its apparently glued in place.COVERPLATE.jpg.ca1f0241a598db67e94d75ded9a263c6.jpg Is that normal? I tried removing it but its gonna take alot of scraping to get it done. I had one heck of a time trying to scrape it out.I figured Id stop and ask someone before I went any further. My question is will I have to glue the new one in or not?SEAL.jpg.bdfcb228e620204d23d49f7a3ec03de8.jpgThe cover is in decent shape still so I dont want to have to buy a new one cause I couldnt get the old seal out. And 1 question if I may,lol,sorry but Im learning on this machine. The brake shoe plate #16, where it bolts on to the gear case.I didnt see any kind of seal or gasket that would keep any junk out. Should I just RTV it up and slap it on or do I need to do anything else to it? Thanks for the help to you and everybody else.I really appreciate it btw.

The part # for that seal is 5FU-F5319-01-00.  It's not glued in and should pry out with a seal puller.  When you put the new seal in, it helps to smear some grease around the edge of the hole and the seal itself.  You should be able to tap around the edge of the seal with a hammer to get it in.  I'd put a thin coat of rtv on the brake plate before you bolt it on the differential.

Seal puller.  Harbor Freight or any auto parts store should have one.

image_26983.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up that seal puller. Thanks.Now with that being said. Im having trouble pulling the axle out. Its a solid 1 piece and I pulled everything off of it on both sides.I put the nut back on the left side and with an impact socket over the axle end I started banging away. And banging.And banging some more. Ignore the nut on the axle  of the 2nd pic I wasn't hitting the right side before anyone asks! lol. Did I miss something? I was told that after I took everything off the axle it would just slide out with a little hammertime. Do I have to remove a clip or something in the final drive maybe? I was using an 8 lb or so mallet so I had enough hammer I think. Was I not using enough muscle? After a few more swings I stopped not wanting to take the chance of destroying anything in the F drive. Was I too cautious? Another thing, (I did pick up the repair manual but it doesn't give a step by step description of how to). If I ever get the axle out,is there any particular method of installing the seals and bearings? Im a newbie at these toys so please bear with me. I seek the knowledge of more experienced individuals! lol. Help me Obi Wan! Thanks folks! I appreciate the help!

20190207_110630.jpg

20190207_110622.jpg

The only danger is messing up the end of the axle.  Do you have a large deep well socket that would slide over the splines on the axle end and butt up to wheel hub stop?

If not use a socket that just slides over the threads on the axle end and butts up to the splines.  Try to avoid having those threads on the end of the axle take all the force.

Ok making some progress.Pulled the axle out (thanks Frank).It was a mess inside on both sides.Bearings felt like they were welded in place but I got the right side fixed.Now the left...I need a real long punch to get this bearing out.Can anyone point me in the right direction where to beg borrow or steal one?lol.jk.How long of a punch is needed. I looked on Amazon and they had a 20" punch. think that might work? Actually its a 20" x 5/8 " punch. Seems big enough.Sorry if these questions seem dumb but Im learning as I go! Thx.

Edited by Alan Callison

• 1 month later...