Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

tundrawolf

Carbureted Rincon won't idle

Hi, I have one of the very first Rincons. Recently after sitting for a while, a few months, it will start but not idle.

I took the carb off and cleaned the jets, but they seemed clean. I have tried adjusting the throttle stop idle but it still stalls.

I absolutely do not like CV carbs and I don't know much about them, but what else could this be? If not clogged jets there's so many hoses and tubes on this thing and wires and sensors I don't know where to begin.

@tundrawolf CV carburetors are really good carbs.  They are not very difficult to deal with once you understand them.  I would check the main jet which is the part #8 in the diagram I sent you.  That is the rubber diaphram (aka piston slide).  The rubber seal at the top may have a hole in it.  Since that slide is drawn up by vacuum created in the carb/engine so a hole would really cause problems. Just a guess. I also attached a few other diagrams so you have a better understanding of the carb and what to clean.  Good luck.  

CDD95A32-E996-4B76-AB7A-9AE9B339F64D.jpeg

53DAF7A8-802D-48E0-9F27-37AFD2CF8617.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 2:56 PM, Frank Angerano said:

@tundrawolf CV carburetors are really good carbs.  They are not very difficult to deal with once you understand them.  I would check the main jet which is the part #8 in the diagram I sent you.  That is the rubber diaphram (aka piston slide).  The rubber seal at the top may have a hole in it.  Since that slide is drawn up by vacuum created in the carb/engine so a hole would really cause problems. Just a guess. I also attached a few other diagrams so you have a better understanding of the carb and what to clean.  Good luck.  

CDD95A32-E996-4B76-AB7A-9AE9B339F64D.jpeg

53DAF7A8-802D-48E0-9F27-37AFD2CF8617.jpeg

Thank you for that I will check that out.

There is another symptom here, when I pull the choke to start it, if I push it back in, the quad acts like it's still out... Before when I would push it back in the idle would immediately drop. I adjusted the throttle stop/idle in enough so that it has a sort of lumpy idle, that's the best I can get. I'll check the diaphragm when I am able...

It could be possable that you didn’t reassemble the choke cable properly. Double check that.   As far as the carb goes the setting on the carb for the air fuel screw should be about 2 and maybe a quarter turns out from a snug position.  If the bike starts and runs then it’s just a small turn in or out to fine tune it. If the bike runs bad then reset the air fuel screw to a snug position and set it at 1-3/4 turns out from snug and see how that goes.  Every bike is different so you just need to find a starting point to adjust from. 

Make sure the air filter is reinstalled befor the fine tune.   You MUST be sure you cleaned the carb good.  

Get a can of compressed air and do it again just to be sure. Use a small piece of wire to clean out all the jets and orafaces. Take the can of compressed air that offices use to clean computer keyboards with and stick that small red hose that they give you in every port and blast it.  

Put a new spark plug in as well. Can’t hurt.   

On 1/20/2019 at 1:54 PM, Frank Angerano said:

It could be possable that you didn’t reassemble the choke cable properly. Double check that.   As far as the carb goes the setting on the carb for the air fuel screw should be about 2 and maybe a quarter turns out from a snug position.  If the bike starts and runs then it’s just a small turn in or out to fine tune it. If the bike runs bad then reset the air fuel screw to a snug position and set it at 1-3/4 turns out from snug and see how that goes.  Every bike is different so you just need to find a starting point to adjust from. 

Make sure the air filter is reinstalled befor the fine tune.   You MUST be sure you cleaned the carb good.  

Get a can of compressed air and do it again just to be sure. Use a small piece of wire to clean out all the jets and orafaces. Take the can of compressed air that offices use to clean computer keyboards with and stick that small red hose that they give you in every port and blast it.  

Put a new spark plug in as well. Can’t hurt.   

UPDATE

I checked the diaphragm like you said, it was good. I noticed when I removed the choke piston it was pretty gummed up and corroded, and the spring was insufficient for it to push back in when i released the choke. So I thoroughly lubricated the choke cable and cleaned the piston, and it turns out that this must have been a problem since I got the quad, because it has tons more power, it doesn't ping any more, and it idles fine now. The choke pull broke so the cable is exposed, I need to seal it and maybe use safety wire to pull the cable end to the pull button so it is secured. But the problem was he choke the entire time.

• Like 1

That’s great.  Order a new cable set up and spring as well.   Replace it and be done with it.  Nice work.   

7 hours ago, tundrawolf said:

UPDATE

I checked the diaphragm like you said, it was good. I noticed when I removed the choke piston it was pretty gummed up and corroded, and the spring was insufficient for it to push back in when i released the choke. So I thoroughly lubricated the choke cable and cleaned the piston, and it turns out that this must have been a problem since I got the quad, because it has tons more power, it doesn't ping any more, and it idles fine now. The choke pull broke so the cable is exposed, I need to seal it and maybe use safety wire to pull the cable end to the pull button so it is secured. But the problem was he choke the entire time.

Great to hear, love reading topics where problems are solved!

• Like 1