Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

2018 Sportsman 570 - Blown Head Gasket?!?

joninak

21 hours ago, joninak said:

Well, it overheated then started blowing white smoke!!

I have it torn down & the cylinder appears to be warped. Going to have the head checked out next but in the meanwhile... Does anyone have the torque sequence/specs for the head bolts??

TIA

...Finally got my 10 post threshold & DL'd the service manual. Thanks!!

• 1 month later...

My best guess was a bad T-stat. After the tear down, every component was inspected and/or replaced, including T-stat & pump impeller. She runs closer to 185° now. Previously ran over 200° at an idle. Even the smallest thing can effect the engine temps.

11 minutes ago, joninak said:

My best guess was a bad T-stat. After the tear down, every component was inspected and/or replaced, including T-stat & pump impeller. She runs closer to 185° now. Previously ran over 200° at an idle. Even the smallest thing can effect the engine temps.

Were there any indicators, lights or anything when it started to overheat? Did the fan come on? Kind of odd for a 2018 to blow a head gasket so soon. Shouldn't it be under warranty?

The radiator fan was kicking in way too often. I'd heard the newer machines are designed to run hotter, (for emissions I believe) so I didn't pay too much concern to that. The other item of note was that the maximum temp it would hit was increasingly higher. By the time I drove it into the shop it was blowing white smoke... 

The cylinder was so warped I could see daylight under the machinist straight edge. Had the head cleaned & checked at a machine shop. Since I was replacing the cylinder I decided to do a new piston kit as well. Everything new (per the service manual) from Polaris came out to around $500.

As far as the warranty... Maxwell Smart said it best - "Missed it by that much!"

• 1 month later...