Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

joninak

2018 Sportsman 570 - Blown Head Gasket?!?

Well, it overheated then started blowing white smoke!!

I have it torn down & the cylinder appears to be warped. Going to have the head checked out next but in the meanwhile... Does anyone have the torque sequence/specs for the head bolts??

TIA

21 hours ago, joninak said:

Well, it overheated then started blowing white smoke!!

I have it torn down & the cylinder appears to be warped. Going to have the head checked out next but in the meanwhile... Does anyone have the torque sequence/specs for the head bolts??

TIA

...Finally got my 10 post threshold & DL'd the service manual. Thanks!!

How did it overheat?  

My best guess was a bad T-stat. After the tear down, every component was inspected and/or replaced, including T-stat & pump impeller. She runs closer to 185° now. Previously ran over 200° at an idle. Even the smallest thing can effect the engine temps.

11 minutes ago, joninak said:

My best guess was a bad T-stat. After the tear down, every component was inspected and/or replaced, including T-stat & pump impeller. She runs closer to 185° now. Previously ran over 200° at an idle. Even the smallest thing can effect the engine temps.

Were there any indicators, lights or anything when it started to overheat? Did the fan come on? Kind of odd for a 2018 to blow a head gasket so soon. Shouldn't it be under warranty?

Any indication prior to the head blowing? Also, follow up on if they were warped?

The radiator fan was kicking in way too often. I'd heard the newer machines are designed to run hotter, (for emissions I believe) so I didn't pay too much concern to that. The other item of note was that the maximum temp it would hit was increasingly higher. By the time I drove it into the shop it was blowing white smoke... 

The cylinder was so warped I could see daylight under the machinist straight edge. Had the head cleaned & checked at a machine shop. Since I was replacing the cylinder I decided to do a new piston kit as well. Everything new (per the service manual) from Polaris came out to around $500.

As far as the warranty... Maxwell Smart said it best - "Missed it by that much!"

That sucks but all together not a bad price for parts.  The labor obviously was there as well.   Is it all good to go running good ? 

...So far so good. I have the engine temp on my display all the time now. It's only in the 40's here at this time of year so we'll see how it does come June/July... 

Big thanks to the person that shared the service manual on this site!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Ed Zeppeli
      Hi all,

I picked up this quad after the previous owner couldn't get it going.

The issue is that I can't get it to fire at idle or at all.

I've...

- replaced plug. Decent blue spark. Also tested with spark tester inline.
      - rebuilt the carb. PO had already bypassed vacuum lines from petcock. There's fuel at the cylinder
      - Checked compression with new gauge. reads 190 psi
      - cleaned all contacts I could access.
      - am currently jumping with car battery. Solenoid jumpered.
      - checked cam timing at TDC and adjusted valve lash
      - put gas directly into cylinder to see if it will fire at least momentarily

Motor turns over well. Plug gets wet. 

Motor may fire once or twice but smokes through exhaust a bit as if it's trying to fire or combusting.

This leads me to suspect timing. As mentioned I checked the flywheel mark versus cam marks. Perhaps someone has been in there before because I can't find a 'T' on the flywheel but there is a very visible paint mark which aligns with TDC position on piston. Possibly a slipped flywheel/woodruff?

Is it possible that if it had seen previous repairs, that the timing could still be off? I'm reluctant to dig into the flywheel/stator area if there's something else I could have missed but all signs point me to that area. Would a bad CDI cause spark timing to be off?

Anywhere else to diagnose incorrect spark timing?

I've scoured these forums and elsewhere but I'm posting just in case there's something I've overlooked up until now.

Thanks very much for reading!

Warren
    • By cavry
      OK, Removed starter from right side pretty easily. Starter spinning well, good torque.  Still have to remove left cover to get to gear. 
      I've looked at starters with gear in place for sale.  Also see one way bearings.  I don't have a diagram of the set up.  Which or both?

Thanks, Cavry
    • By Steve Simpson
      Any suggestions on where to buy new parts want new jug piston rings would like to go wiesco big bore 
    • By Brad Lawson
      Hello all, I’m working on my sons 99 Yamaha Warrior 350. When I pulled the plastic cover off left side of engine, I can see oil leak at the seal. I pulled the bolt out and then the starter boss(I guess that’s what it’s called?) I can see that the boss doesn’t make contact with the seal. Is there a spacer of some type that slides on to the boss, to make contact with the seal? This seal is held in place with a plate with 3 screws in it. This boss slides into the bearing in the stator. I have been to parts websites and I don’t see what I’m needing. Maybe it’s just the wrong seal?
    • By VikingTrad3r
      250 rwd timberwolf 1993

i checked the bolts and they are tight. 
      anyone have this issue and did they install new gasket with engine in-frame?

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Kevin Vlogs
      Does anybody know how to determine which of the 2 key blanks fits my ATV. I have called several dealers, and Polaris and nobody seems to know which key fits which ATV. I thought with the ViN number they could look it up, but apparently not. I hate to spend the money at Polaris for a key blank and then pay a locksmith to cut it, but the locksmiths around me don't have the Polaris keys in stock. I find them on Amazon and places, but I can't tell which key blank is right for my ATV. Any help would be appreciated.
    • By RAYAR
      Something I've noticed with the AWD on/off operation. When AWD switch is in the on position and the AWD light is on (trans engaged), turning the AWD switch off kills the engine. With trans in neutral, AWD light is off, turning switch off does not kill engine. Since I don't have the operators manual yet, I'm wondering if this is normal operation?
      Thanks, Ray
    • By Georgeann Stricklin
      View File 2014 Polaris Sportsman 570 EFI EPS Owners Manual
      2014 Polaris Sportsman 570 EFI and Sportsman 570 EPS Owner's Manual for Maintenance and Safety
      Submitter Georgeann Stricklin Submitted 06/10/2019 Category Polaris ATV  
    • By Georgeann Stricklin
      2014 Polaris Sportsman 570 EFI and Sportsman 570 EPS Owner's Manual for Maintenance and Safety
    • By weblex
      Problem: The ATV starts and runs at idle perfectly. But as soon as I open the throttle, the engine starts to slow down until it stops. On the attached video you can hear the sound of how it works: see video below
      Prehistory: there is a Polaris Sportsman 500 1998, which for about 1.5 years stood in repair, including also replacing CDI with one taken from the same ATV. Finally, the vehicles were on wheels, traveled several kilometers and overheated - forgot to fill the antifreeze Came back home in small moves. The next trip started well, but after 10 km there was a feeling of a small drop in power (even as the vehicle got warm completely) but still drives. Next trip - the situation is repeated. The next test of ATV through time and a huge loss of power from the very beginning. The engine sneezes, does not want to go more than 5 mph.

What has been done: the carburetor has been replaced with a new one (inexpensive, $ 40), a new spark plug, a new ignition coil, the engine head has been removed, the piston is in good condition, valves were corrected - but the problem was definitely not in them.

Ignition control unit is suspected. Who faced similar? Please help in solving the problem.
      Thanks in advance.