Quantcast

2001 Kawasaki 300 bayou shifter shaft

ronwv48

Not that hard to do.  You'll need to remove the right hand engine cover and the 2 clutches in order to pull it out.  There's a few washers and springs you need to watch for so a service manual is needed to make sure everything goes back together correctly.  An air impact is helpful getting those clutch nuts off.  The shaft and a new cover gasket should be all the parts you'll need.  A Kawasaki or Clymer manual walks you through the process.

• Like 1

@JacobSlabach if you ever come across and old bike laying around that’s shot. Pull the motor and split it open.   I did this with my son on a beat up xr80 we found. He split the engine just to see how things work.   I explained as much as I knew and in addition he learned how the clutch worked etc. It was a great learning experience.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

That’s great glad to help. What parts are you going to order?  That reverse cam was bad not my switch.   But I lightly sanded that switch while I replaced that reverse cam just to clean up the contacts.

The neutral safety topic will help you out. 

Maybe @Admin can help combine all your topics to one so it’s essier to respond and keep one topic going.  

Btw that part was $12 bucks oem on eBay.   

Gasket kit entire kit amazon $38. Might as well get the whole kit.   Never know 

If you know how to combine the posts that would be great. Not sure what parts to get now  until I tear the left side down ,just got the right side gasket, should have got the set

ready to put right side back together so I can try it out. I will work on the neutral switch later..I want to make sure every thing else is ok .I just bought it and don't know its history

2 hours ago, ronwv48 said:

If you know how to combine the posts that would be great. Not sure what parts to get now  until I tear the left side down ,just got the right side gasket, should have got the set

ready to put right side back together so I can try it out. I will work on the neutral switch later..I want to make sure every thing else is ok .I just bought it and don't know its history

PM me the urls of the topics you would like to combine and I can do that for you.

1 hour ago, ronwv48 said:

If every thing checks out ok i'll probably order parts and do the switch next week. I have tried to download the manual 1986 - 2006 Kawasaki KLF 300 Bayou Service Manual several times and it comes back corrupt. Is there a trick to download it.

The manual was an external source. I've downloaded it and checked it out. I compressed it and re-uploaded it, so it should work.

• Like 1

Well I got it back together today. neutral switch was bypassed, ok  reverse lockout didn't work, ok  Found gears ok, except couldn't find 4th. and 5th. gear  Could the reverse lockout be blocking those gears. run fine, shifted fine. happy for right now with 3 gears and reverse.. think it will work out in the end. any thoughts on the gears? 

I would not be happy for too long.  Somethings going on obviously. A spring is not is installed on the gears maybe or a gear reinstalled backwards etc.  Something was missed.  That reverse lock out can can be looked at while the cover is off do functionality.   Review the work you’ve done and go back and look if you can.   You will find it.  

trying to think I replaced the shifter shaft didn't take the other side apart. Don't look like it has been worked on, wish I knew it's history. i'll tear it down to see if  can see anything.  I'm guessing someone had trouble shifting and kept kicking it till they broke the shifter. thanks  i'll  let you know what I find

Oh ok so you don’t know what happened prior to the shaft being broken. I didn’t realize that.   Yep well it was most likely broken due to something breaking inside and someone prob beating on the shifter. 

Is is a 4x4? 

Honestly I would think about it and make a decision  if the bike is worth pulling the engine off and  tearing into it.  If the bike is clean and in good shape and if your able to do the work yourself or have someone help you?  If so then go for it!

It may be something simple inside the engine partswise and more of a labor intensive thing like having to pull the motor. And keep in mind  the neutral safety switch replacent requires you to pull the engine mounting bolts out and shift the engine over to get the cover off anyway. Unless you pull the shifter shaft out again because the shifter shaft does not allow the cover on the shifter side  to come off without moving the engine over.