Quantcast

4 wheeler transmission stress?

Hello, 

I have only been riding for a few years now but encountered a situation today where I needed to tow a riding lawn mower out of a ditch. It was going well but I had to stop in the middle and place the 4 wheeler in park to turn the wheels on the lawn mower so it would glide out of the slope easily. I am wondering if it is going to cause damage with all of that weight resting on the transmission when I had the 4 wheeler in park. It was only for about 45 seconds, then I got back on and tugged it the rest of the way. This 4 wheeler doesn't have a parking break so that wasn't an option.

Thanks!

I got a polaris sportsman 500 that has park (an 04 model).  I dont think from my experience it is bad for your tranny.  Does it put stress on it?  yes,  the more weight you put on it, the more pull will be on the parking system--  but its made to handle that stress and its not bad for it.

transmitions are tough on those quads---  btw what quad you got?  My friend pulled his family's 4x4 ford Excursion out of the mud (this thing was a monster diesel with a lift and over sized tires) using his 02 polaris sportsman 500- tranny never even wined...  he just had to get his fam to sit on his bike cause it didnt have enough weight on it.......😎:v_SPIN:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Matt Pfalzer said:

NICE!! Thats some power to pull out a Excursion!! Thanks for the replies everyone!! @JacobSlabach @Frank Angerano @Ajmboy Just got it, its a Yamaha Kodiak 450. Love it so far, Really nice 2018 with the fuel injection. Been taking up through mountain trails in KY and wow she is definitely a trooper in the mud. Fun stuff

Nice, I used to have a Kodiak 450 years ago and loved it. Today its a much better quad than it was then...this photo was over 10 year ago I think. Good luck with your Kodiak and post some pics!

Also, just in general what I've found with products is if they are put together by the dealer, sometimes some of the bolts are not torqued down correctly.  I would give the bike a good look over as if it was used and I was looking to buy it (I know you already bought it, but its never too late, better safe than sorry-  If someone left a lug loose or some other important bolt, it would be a bummer to be out riding at 40+mph and have a wheel come off or apart..)

Looks like they put the lug on before they delivered it so those look good. Will keep a close eye out. Wondering if its best to do the first 20 hour service myself or bring it somewhere. The issue with bringing it somewhere is that I would need to rent a trailer to get it there. I brought the 4 wheeler to the house on a moving truck so there was no need for a trailer to transport it to the new house. Is it really hard to do by ones self or is it better left to them?

If your handy and have ever changed oil on a car you can do it yourself.  It’s just a s matter of draining the oil and putting a new filter in. The only thing I would recommend is being careful with the drain plug re oval and reinstall. Make sure you don’t  over tighten it and spin it in the proper direction. Remember “righty tightly lefty loosey” !

The manual for the bike is very explicit and walks you through it. 

So if you’ve  turned a wrench before then your good.  

• Haha 1

heh good point.  I use a 18 inch breaker bar on mine--- just dont crank it down when tightening it back up.  My dad is a general contractor, and he taught me from a young age how to be sensitive about overtightening nuts (especially on those new faucets-  they have a copper supply line out of the fixture and I learned that if you hold a wrench close to the neck, you cant accidentally get too much leverage on it and break or twist something...  same with a breaker bar and engines....