Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

redneck999

2012 CFMOTO X5 Reverse Lights

i have a 2012 cf moto x5 and our village made atvs road legal and im interested in putting reverse lights on it, is there some way to wire it to the shifter or would it be better to wire them to a momentary switch  like a horn button?

Do you have a reverse indicator on your dash? If so, wire the light to the indicator. So when you put it reverse. The indicator lights up sending power to the light.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Most of these bikes have a reverse switch on the shifter side of the engine. You should find two wires that come out of the engine near the shifter.  One is usually a neutral safety switch that indicates the bike is in neutral and is clear to start.  The other is a reverse light wire that shows you on the dash that the bike is in reverse like @06kfx440 mentioned. 

When you put the bike in reverse that switch is grounding the reverse light and makes it come on.   So in theory all you would have to do is wire a reverse light as so, positive wire connected to the battery with an in-line fuse (must have for protection) and then attach the ground wire from the light to that reverse light wire coming from your neutral safety/reverse light switch.   Of course you would have to look at your bike to make sure it works the way I’m stating or your manual to show what wire to connect to but a tester can do that for you also.  But each manufacturer is different but mostly all of them use the grounding type system.

I agree with @06kfx440 about tapping your dash light but most of those indicator lights are super low amperage and may not carry the load of another light on the line.    

Topic moved to CFMOTO ATV forum and added ATV info into topic title.

sorry i would have started in that forum but there is not much traffic and thought i might better results in the general forum since it a generic  question and not a specific brand question

@06kfx440 great idea, didnt even think of that, we had to make our atvs legal with all kinds of things. shame mine didnt come with turn signals! so i believe i will pull the dash and tap into the reverse indicator and o to a relay to feed the light, many thanks guys!

thank you, sometimes i have my moments and then i do something dumb so it balances out

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By CJ River Rider
      Anybody know whatever happened to this?
    • By Vybrano Cz
      (I don't have manual and there isn't one on the internet)
      It's a 150cc ATV, automatic transmission, automatic starter, with zero electric devices.
      I have to mount at least some front/rear lights. But for how many watts should I aim in total on entire ATV? You know, for example there are 10/50/200 Watt lights. But it's impossible to order some, when I don't know if I should keep entire ATV under 100 Watts? Under 500 Watts? Under 1000 Watts?
    • By Rob Young
      Hi all.  
      New to the world of quads. Recently got a Basham 200cc.  
      I am expecting a problem with road stability. When I get up to anything above 30mph on any road the bike will randomly pull either, into the left or right and I have to constantly fight to keep the thing straight. It’s totally unpredictable and have had a couple of close calls. I have checked play in the steering, ball joints, wheels, tyre pressure etc. Can’t figure out what’s causing it. I’ve speculated that the road camber May have something to do with it but like I mentioned I’m new to the quad world and maybe this is normal but any advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated as at the moment I’m too nervous to take it out on the road. 
      Thanks. 
    • By pokolbinguy
      Hi All,
      Following on from the brief interlude in the "introducing myself" thread....

In a nutshell, I acquired a YFM250 Moto 4 (1991) for cheap recently with the previous owner citing "no spark, needs a new magneto coil and I don't have time to fix it"... anyway I am dubious that the magneto/generator is the issue and thinking more along the line of ignition coil as after a clean up of the magneto I was able to get a rather decent voltage reading off the magneto with pull start and resistence readings seem to check out that the magneto is all ok (all 3 x phases = 1.2 ohms and no run to ground)
      None the less I ordered a new Ignition coil and Magneto/generator coil and am waiting for them to arrive.

In the mean time I cleaned up the current Magneto, popped in a new battery and sparkplug, checked out all the wiring harness, all seemed good except I came across the "neutral switch" wire was broken.

After wiring up a new neutral switch wire, the neutral light now comes on  (small win) and the starter relay (attached to rectifier) now clicks. If I hit the starter switch on handle bar the starter motor spins and if I  pull the cord starter I get a spark on pull....YAY!! I'll try and attach a video below if possible.

So onto the starter motor. Starter solenoid seems to work A-ok, even if it looks crappy and starter motor spins as it should when I hit the start switch....but here is my issue.

When the starter motor runs it turns Cog #1 and Cog #2 (see photo below)....but the chain in the back of the starter which I assume is the timing chain, does not move and there is no apparent movement of the piston in the cylinder.

If I turn it by hand (per photo) or with the pull starter however the chain moves and the engine turns. However cog #2 rotates but not fluidly with the "Crank" (part I turn by hand) for the lack of a better word to use if that makes sense?

Is there a grub screw or similar on Cog #2 that fixes it to the center shaft to make it all turn when the starter motor is run? Could there be a part missing? Previous owner had the starter apart so could be possible?

The outer/front part seems to be on a key-way so not sure how to remove this easily to check how Cog #2 is attached.

What am I missing here?

spark_baby.mpg

• By mothrottle
      My first long ride on my latest bike, an '18 Kodiak 450 EPS I bought slightly used failed. In the North woods I stop on a two track for a blowdown. I Shift into reverse, and instantly the engine dies. Completely dead. The shop tells me that the  40 amp main fuse(there are two, One being the main the other for the EPS) blew. These are the slow blow variety. The shop had to order the fuse,which tells me that blowing that fuse is rare. I hope they can find the cause. Anyone else have this happen?
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By technofarmer
      Hello, i was looking up a few different 4 wheelers tonight and then had a question.  I see so many similarities between the ODES 800 Assailant, and CFMOTO 800 Cforce that i have to wonder. Are they the same thing?   It looks like they both have turning signals, 2 seater, engine size in common although CFMOTO does a much better job of making theirs look better.    
    • By Austinhuntman
      I was looking at cfmoto z6 I believe it is called. It is their spot side by side like the rzr but it is 51 in wide. I wanted to know how they perform and if they are reliable machines