Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Ankromsathome

Yamaha Raptor 250 Starter Problem

Purchased a 2008 Yamaha Raptor 250 for my son about 1 year ago and have been having problems with the starting system ever since.

Since owning for one year we have gone thru 2 starters and 2 starter gears. Now its spring 2019 and time for a third replacement. Am starting to think that we may have a more serious issue.

Upon replacing, the starter and starter gear, its starts fine, then after about 10 starts, you start to hear a bit of grinding. The grinding slowly gets worse until the teeth on the starter and the starter gear become trashed.

I've heard possible solutions from the starter clutch needing replaced to the casing for the starter gear shaft being out of spec?

I've also noticed that here is no difference or change if its in gear or not.

I just replaced the trans clutch as well.

Any suggestions?

The casing is what I was going to say.  It’s possible that it was a bad cast and the starter is slightly cocked. My best guess would be to do some research and see if there were any recalls or complaints about this happening as well as some remedy’s for it like a shim kit maybe ? 

This is just a guess. 

• Like 1

I would agree, sounds like the starter is misaligned and getting chewed up. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Chase Cook
      I have a Yamaha 350 in at once to try to fire up but won't. It's getting gas fire air and it has a lot of compression but still struggles to start check the timing it's top dead center valves are good valves are adjusted everything's working but won't fire I put my hand over the carb suck in gas and it tries to but it makes a lot of black smoke. Also when I put my hand over do you carb and tried to start it there's black black nasty stuff in the gas. So I don't know if it's trying to burn too much or what it is the gas tank clean and it anything to do with the gas it's with it firing. Took the spark plug out and it's pure black. What is dried up black not nasty corroded wet looking. Need help to solve the issue
    • By mrfartsalot
      i have a 1986 yamaha moto 4 200 and was wondering if i could put a 350 or 300 jug and piston on it to bump up the cc?
    • By ATVNetwork
      Introducing the 2020 Yamaha XT-R editions of ATV and Side-by-Side vehicles featuring exclusive XT-R features like a factory-installed Warn Winch, advanced suspension, special-edition paint and color-matched wheels with extreme terrain tires, all Assembled in the USA for unmatched Proven Off-Road capability, comfort, and confidence. 
      YXZ1000R SS XT-R: https://yamaha.us/yYXZXTR 
      Wolverine X2 XT-R: https://yamaha.us/yX2RSXTR
      Wolverine X4 XT-R: https://yamaha.us/yX4XTR
      Grizzly EPS XT-R: https://yamaha.us/yGrizXTR

View full post
    • By Monika Novakov
      1988 Kawasaki 220 Bayou trying to remove generator/ starter 1way clutch cover to be able to replace 1way clutch. All bolts are removed case cover is dripping what oil that remains...but I can't get the cover to come off..what am I missing? Thx in advance.
    • By StolenATV
      Truck, Trailer, TWO 2008 YFZ450 ATVs, and 1000s in tools and equipment took off from the Valets parking garage for the hotel.
      The truck and trailer were left abandoned 3.5 miles away in an alley empty of everything on Caldwell Street near Owenwood.
      The post Two Yamaha YFZ450 ATVs Stolen appeared first on STOLEN 911.
      View the full article
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Ron Boyd
      I was wondering if the complete headlight assembly from a 06 yfz450 would fit my 05 raptor 660r looking for a quick responses I found a set new for 25 bucks and either way dont want to pass up but was qurious.
    • By Brian Simmons
      I put on a new stater  , How would my Yamaha raptor 350 act if the starter clutch went out ??? Please help !!! There is no metal in oil . Its like when you hit the starter button nothing ? Any ideas ???

• By amelia slabbert
      Hi I have a YAMAHA RAPTOR 660R 2003
      I have taken of my Air filter and sprayed in my air inlet some carberator cleaner while starting it. That causes some problems. It struggles to start now. Please look at my attachedment video. 
      What can I do now.? 
      MOV_1402.mp4 MOV_1401.mp4
    • By orvilleortiz538
      Hey Frank I posted some pictures of my stator from my Raptor660r and I need some help,here are some pics of the numbers I got from the stator the 494 is ok,that's from the white/red & white/green wires but from the white to white I was getting no reading and from the blue and red wires also no reading, so it's most likely done right?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

• By frank marano
      View File 1997-2002 Yamaha Raptor Supplementary Service Manual
      1997-2002 Yamaha Raptor Supplementary Service Manual
      Submitter frank marano Submitted 11/24/2018 Category Yamaha ATV