Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

2006 Sportsman X2 500EFI electric problem

gregorio

Like the title says, my quad is suffering from a short.  I think I traced it to a 4 wire harness that enters the engine case above the manual starter just in front of the electric starter.  It is rather odd in that it has 3 yellow wires and one gray or tan wire.  If I giggle it, I lose all power to the quad.  Is this the magneto underneath? 

Thanks in advance,

Greg

That would most likely be the wires going to your stator coil.  I’m only guessing without looking at your diagram  but there are very few wires that come form inside the engine.  The stator coil, the pick up coil and maybe a neutral safety switch.   If your moving the wires around and they kill the engine my guess would be they’re shorting  out right at the entry fitting where the wires enter the engine.  It’s a plastic collar that’s fitted for the engine case cover.  Post a picture of where the wires are coming from.  

11 hours ago, gregorio said:

Like the title says, my quad is suffering from a short.  I think I traced it to a 4 wire harness that enters the engine case above the manual starter just in front of the electric starter.  It is rather odd in that it has 3 yellow wires and one gray or tan wire.  If I giggle it, I lose all power to the quad.  Is this the magneto underneath? 

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Those are the wires for the charging system or stator, behind the flywheel.  On the EFI Sportsman's, if the ECM/computer isn't getting a signal from the stator, it won't run.

Sounds like one of the yellow wires has a break.  The tan wire is a ground wire.  Polaris wiring is bad about breaking inside the insulation so finding which wire is broke is a little tricky.  If you can check each yellow wire for continuity while someone jiggles the wires, you may be able to find it.  The alternative is buying a whole new stator.

Well, before I tear it apart, I am going to read through the service manual to get an idea how difficult this might be.  It looks like I might have to remove the manual starter.  If it anything like other manual start engines, I'm in for a real cussfest.

Thanks for the advice.  BTW, the "alternator" was repaired/replaced about 2 years ago by the dealer.  I can't find the paperwork but it was not charging and killed the battery.  So, new battery, "alternator" a wire harness that was shorted and general service put me back on the road for the low low price of $1800!  Not going there again!