Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

gregorio

2006 Sportsman X2 500EFI electric problem

Like the title says, my quad is suffering from a short.  I think I traced it to a 4 wire harness that enters the engine case above the manual starter just in front of the electric starter.  It is rather odd in that it has 3 yellow wires and one gray or tan wire.  If I giggle it, I lose all power to the quad.  Is this the magneto underneath? 

Thanks in advance,

Greg

That would most likely be the wires going to your stator coil.  I’m only guessing without looking at your diagram  but there are very few wires that come form inside the engine.  The stator coil, the pick up coil and maybe a neutral safety switch.   If your moving the wires around and they kill the engine my guess would be they’re shorting  out right at the entry fitting where the wires enter the engine.  It’s a plastic collar that’s fitted for the engine case cover.  Post a picture of where the wires are coming from.  

11 hours ago, gregorio said:

Like the title says, my quad is suffering from a short.  I think I traced it to a 4 wire harness that enters the engine case above the manual starter just in front of the electric starter.  It is rather odd in that it has 3 yellow wires and one gray or tan wire.  If I giggle it, I lose all power to the quad.  Is this the magneto underneath? 

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Those are the wires for the charging system or stator, behind the flywheel.  On the EFI Sportsman's, if the ECM/computer isn't getting a signal from the stator, it won't run.

Sounds like one of the yellow wires has a break.  The tan wire is a ground wire.  Polaris wiring is bad about breaking inside the insulation so finding which wire is broke is a little tricky.  If you can check each yellow wire for continuity while someone jiggles the wires, you may be able to find it.  The alternative is buying a whole new stator.

Well, before I tear it apart, I am going to read through the service manual to get an idea how difficult this might be.  It looks like I might have to remove the manual starter.  If it anything like other manual start engines, I'm in for a real cussfest.

Thanks for the advice.  BTW, the "alternator" was repaired/replaced about 2 years ago by the dealer.  I can't find the paperwork but it was not charging and killed the battery.  So, new battery, "alternator" a wire harness that was shorted and general service put me back on the road for the low low price of $1800!  Not going there again!

Well ARGH! Looking at the service manual, replacing the stator is more involved than I'd like.  Anyone have a good Polaris mechanic in and around Silicon Valley?

I love your confidence! If I can't find someone locally and if I get some of my other projects completed, I might have a go.  You can be sure I'll be back asking for more help!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By davefrombc
      View File Quad Runner 250 King Quad 1987 - 1998
      Service manual  for  King quads  250  and 300
      Submitter davefrombc Submitted 01/28/2017 Category Suzuki ATV  
    • By Ed Zeppeli
      So I fired up the quad the other day and let it idle for about 5-10 minutes and it ran great then died.

I go to check it. No lights on dash, nothing.

Check the main fuse and it's blown. Key's off/out. Put in another and it blows immediately.
      Pull out the meter and see that on the non-load side of the fuse holder there's continuity to ground.
      Check all obvious things. Wiring diagram. Connectors. Frayed wires. Bad grounds.
      Battery measures ok at 12.8v.
      I'm dreading taking off the front plastics but I suspect the regulator/rectifier. The wiring diagram shows the red wire (the suspect wire) goes to the ignition switch and the regulator/rectifier.
      Anyone else experience something similar and/or have any troubleshooting tips that may save me the grief of removing the plastics?

Thanks much,

Warren
    • By Sonders
      It appears that the Service Manual thread at top of forum is dead as all the links no longer work.  I'm actually looking for service manual for a 2000 KVF300 Prairie that I just picked up.  Does anybody have link to one that they can share, or know where I can find one?  Thanks in advance for any help.
    • By stinky
      I have an Outlaw 110 that will struggle to turn the engine over. Jump starting doesn't help other than the battery will drain LONG before the bike eventually starts, so is required. If you keep messing with it long enough it will eventually magically begin to crank fine and sometimes finally start. Once we finally get the bike to start and warm it up thoroughly, it will turn over and start just fine the rest of the day like nothing ever happened... next day it won't turn over again.  Internet research has found lots of people saying they replaced starters, starter clutch, wiring, etc. but with only about 50/50 success rate for their particular problems... and I never found anybody describing a problem like mine, so I'm looking for advice/experience. Would rather not just start blindly throwing parts at it. Does anybody have any thoughts/ideas?
    • By Mike Iadonixi
      Hi my son's 2005 Honda recon engine is seized any ideas on what or where to get another engine 
      Thanks to you guys i fixed my other son's four wheeler last month
      any help would be greatly appreciated
      Thanks
      Mike
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By colin james
      2012-2014 Sportsman 400/500 factory service manual
      View File This is the factory service manual for multiple models of the years 2012-2014  sortsman 400/500 including hd edition's.
      Submitter colin james Submitted 08/13/2019 Category Polaris ATV  
    • By colin james
      This is the factory service manual for multiple models of the years 2012-2014  sortsman 400/500 including hd edition's.
    • By Flipper Tiffany Roper Jones
      All I have been through everything. Bought brand new.
      Throttle safety switch 
      Cam and rockers
      ECM
      Carborator
      Stator
      Fuel safety switch 
      Battery
      Everything every forum has spoken of I've bought sealed airbox completely tight unplugged black wire on trans. I have literally done everything in the book.Checked oil today full of gas anyone no anything what might b wrong. Next I'm taking head off and making sure valves seat any ideas.
    • By JacobSlabach
      So yesterday I picked up a 07 polaris sportsman 800efi stealth edition for 3k.  Will lead a pic ltr.  In good shape.  Here's what's wrong with it:
      The rpm needle doesn't work just like my other sportsman... not too worried ab that.
      The motor doesn't sound like it's running quite right and doesn't feel like it has much more power than my 500.  I'm thinking it needs a tune up and some fresh oil..  but also it feels like it's running rich.  It's a little buggy when you goose the throttle and sometimes farts when you let off (like I little backfire out the exhuast). I'm gonna check timing and valave clearence on the motor first but thinking of putting a tuner on it? Anybody got a suggestion?  Mainly looking for more power.
    • By Matt Reier
      JUST BOUGHT A 2019 SPORTSMAN SP 850 TOURING. TRYING TO FIND SOMEONE THAT HAS ACCESSORIES THAT WILL WORK ON THIS UNIT. PLUS A LIFT KIT. DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS. THANKS.