Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

caperwing

1990 suzuki ltf250 Quadrunner 4X4 Oil leak

I just got this quad a few days ago and finally got it running. It has oil leaking and it seems to be coming out around a cylinder bolt. Not the valve cover but just below and to the rear. Is there supposed to be crush washers on that bolt? and what are those bolts supposed to be torqued at?

Thanks

Welcome to Quadcrazy. What bolt is it you are referring to ? Only bolt that should have that type washer is the oil drain plug. 

Maybe post a picture of the bolt and area on the bike.  

Thanks for the welcome. The bolt i am referring to is just below the valve cover and I think it is one of the bolts for the cylinder head. It has a domed head

Maybe someone in the past tried to stop the leak with a crush washer, who knows.

I am an older guy just learning to use computer stuff and I don't have a camera to take a picture and if I did I wouldn't know how to get it from a camera to the computer box.

Have you tried to tighten the bolt down? Maybe loosen it up and put some high heat silicone on it and re tighten.  

Do the other bolts have the same washer ?

Might as well check all of them while your at it.  

I do have some high temp silicone I can try. I was kind of worried about over tightening and breaking something. Do you know if there is a torque spec for this?

Thanks

Not sure on the spec but I would just make it tight and go a hair more for now.  You won’t strip or break anything.  It would take a good amount to do that.  

Any idea how long to let the silicone set before cranking the engine over to see if it worked?

I’ve done it in 2 hours not by choice and it worked great. 

Honestly... I would wait 24. 

Also remember to clean the area with a little carb cleaner to make sure all the oil away from the area.  Just a little shot will do.  Dry it with a rag.   

Thanks for the carb cleaner advise. I will try it now and let it sit overnight and try tomorrow.

Well no more oil leak. The silicone worked. Even if it does not last at least I'm on the right track.  Thanks

another thing to remember is if you take a bolt out, especially those long ones that hold the head and cylinder to the crank case, never put the bolt back in if any liquid gets in the hole-  let is sit overnight and air dry out.  Have a relative that does automotive repair and she has cracked crankcases before because she torqued down a bolt that had water (or some other liquid) under it.  That water is very powerful under pressure like that, hence it cracked the case and ruined the engine.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By JonBat68
      I have a 99 250 Quadrunner. Currently has no spark. It would run for 5 minutes, then shut off. After it cooled down about 20-30 minutes, it would start again. I ordered a new stator and found the old one was damaged (copper windings broken)  I installed the new stator, filled with oil and now it has no spark. Any assistance would be helpful
    • By Ryan Hutton
      Hey guys i am new to this site. i have a quadmaster 500 and last year my brother in law had it out and brought it back. When we went to put it away it wont move now any suggestions i have the belt cover off now. With it jacked up it seem to take gear when its not running.
    • By Quadrunner44
      I have an older 1980s Suzuki quadrunner red lt 4wd (250)
      so just finished putting it all back together and was running fine just needed to adjust the rebuilt carb
      bf decides to hook up an air chuck to the gas tank because it got a shot of air in the gas line well 120psi didn’t agree with any of the parts including the new carb 
      end result : new battery new carb now it just clicks (one single click) won’t turn over 
      hard to pull start gets hung up (unless I remove the spark plug ) gas flooded out the first time but now does nothing purchases a new starter waiting the arrival 
      could there be damage to the crank shaft or pistons etc? Or install the new starter and try to fire it up ? What caused the starter to die after he flooded everything with gas was working fine. 
      Thank you 
    • By Kevin Nicoll
      Anyone familiar with these models? Its a new to me quad, picked it up for basically nothing... Just time and materials now, this looks expensive. 

• By jim estes
      Aquired a Quadrunner 240 about a year and half ago.The man said he knew nothing of it history just took it a s an add on in a trade he had made, It looked good-early/mid 90's all the plastic in good shape with no obvious oil stains, dents, etc, now have time to check it a little cl;oser...any suggestions as to what to look for? Aside from metal shavings, checking fluids etc? Whats good to see? Bad? Thank ahead