Quantcast

1991 Honda Fourtrax 300 no lights, no start

Hi guys.  First post, hope you can help.  As above 1991 Honda fourtrax.  Starting, running fine until a few weeks ago. Used primarily to put my ski boat in the garage (put 2" ball on front).  Any way, had just backed boat into garage, turned off to crank trailer wheel down, when I went to restart got nothing.  

No neutral light, no headlights, no reverse light, would not turn over when start button pushed.  It would crank and run when I jumped the contacts on the start relay.  While running the neutral light will come on, although it is dim and flickers.  Reverse light on when running and in reverse.

What I have done to this point:

1.  Used jumper cable to ground battery (-) terminal to engine block thinking ground wire from battery to engine may be bad.  No neutral light, no start.

2. Applied 12 volts to start relay.  Got a loud click like it was making contact.  I didn't have the battery/starter cables connected to the relay, but I am assuming it would have cranked at that time.  

3. Disconnected neutral switch wire.  Grounded neutral switch wire with jumper wire. No neutral light, no electric start. 

At this point I am thinking ignition switch vs broken wire in the harness going to the neutral switch (due to dimness and flickering when running).

Any and all suggestions to help track down this issue are appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Mark Walters
Spelling, left something out

Welcome to Quadcrazy, I would check the rectifier and see what’s going on. It’s possible that it’s bad causing a voltage issue. 

Then I would check the voltage at the battery and see what you have there including cranking if you can get it to crank. You may be right on a bad ignition.

Double check the the ground cable(black) where it bolts up to the frame from the wire coming off the battery

Wiggle the key also while this is going on to see if it starts.  If so then while it’s running wiggle the key to see if it acts up again.  

Thanks for the response.  After spending some time studying the wiring diagram, I realized that I had missed one of the first things I should have checked.  The pair of fuses coming of from the battery.  Both fuses were good, but one of the connector wires had broken away from the fuse.  I used a jumper wire from the battery side of the fuse to the broken wire and the neutral light came on and it fired right up.

Now to find the wire to fuse connector to repair the broken one.

Thanks again.

fuse cable.JPG

• Like 1

That’s a good find ! Nice work, that’s an old type in line fuse.   I would order the newer style and splice it right in.  

I use these and they work great just make sure you put the right size fuse in.  You can see the amperage of the old glass  fuse on the metal part.     

Waterproof car fuse holder 5/10/15/20/30A Amp In Line Blade Fuse Holder with 10 pcs fuse https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DLUQ1BW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9KhhDbSWH2JTZ

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, i have a honda 300 1997 model so one day i was cruising down my road with all of my lights working then i started to see them get very bright then all of a sudden no lights the oil light came on and i instantly turned off the atv, after a few minutes of sitting i turned over the key and the oil light would come on then turn off after a few seconds but i have no neutral light the reverse light works and the oil light but no other lights work also the four wheeler will turn over off of the battery and at first i noticed after the incident happened when i would rev the engine the oil light would get bright kind of like a water hose being turned up but until this day i have no lights but the oil light when key is first turned on and the reverse light no other lights work. And to keep it in mind it was pitch black outside when it happened so i had alot of fun getting back home.

It is most likely a rectifier/ regulator  problem.  It is possible  when  the rectifier /regulator goes  for the AC voltage  from the stator  to  spike up to  30 volts or possibly  more  and burn out your lights.  "Lights  going  really  bright  and then  off"  points to that possibility.  Check  your  headlight  by  jumpering 12v directly to the contacts on it. Check voltage  to the  battery terminals with the motor  running

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Locate and try to expose the ignition switch. You will need access at the back of the switch or the plug going to it. 
Check the ignition switch for power. One of the wires going to the switch will have 12+. Then turn the switch on and see if its sending 12+ out to the rest of the controls.  
If so that portion is ok. The next thing to check would be your neutral safety switch. It may be locking out your dash controls etc.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By BruceG
      Hi guys. I have a problem where the quad will start and run well for about 5 minutes and then it dies. On inspection the airbox has oil in it (quite a lot). The oil is pumping through the cylinder head breather hose. This problem first happened suddenly. I have since done the top end including, piston, gaskets, rings and valves. I have also done the carb (not that I thought that this was the problem). The compression seems normal. The only thing that I can think of, is that I did not grind the valves well enough. Anyone experienced this? If so, how did you fix it? Any other thoughts?
    • By ResQ91
      Hi Guys!

New member and could really use your advice. I would have to believe this has been an issue for others but a search here came up with nothing......? (Probably me not doing search correctly)

I have an 87 Big Bear 350 YFM350FWT
      The OEM Mikuni BTM carb is shot and would rather replace than rebuild.
      It is no longer made and I have had good luck with NICHE carbs so I ordered a #K-CRB-0006 This was what they said was replacement when ordered. This Carb only uses 1 Throttle cable. The Slide is linked so it uses one. (OEM had 2nd cable coming through top to move slide)

Problem is when I ordered a replacement Cable from NICHE (#C-CBL-0061) the Cable wire is a little short, not allowing Throttle to return all the way down to Idle position. I called NICHE and they are at a loss. Haven't gotten back to me after 2+ weeks.

What would you recommend other than a carb rebuild?
      Can I just use 1 of the OEM cables (It is the right length) and snip/disconnect the other that went to top of Carb for Slide?
      Or ??

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

Dave
    • By Admin
      View File 2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 04/09/2024 Category Honda ATV  
    • By Mikey69
      Heres my story. Kinda long. I guess I was a late bloomer when it comes to quads. I had never ridden a quad in my life. Rode Dirt Bikes as a kid growing up. Back in Oct of '06 I found a Mustang on craigslist. Took it for a test drive one morning before work. Fast car. 351 Cleveland. I had planned on meeting the guy again after work. For some strange reason thats still to this day beyond me, I stopped in Hillsboro MotoSports on the way home from work. I had 6 Grand on me. There was a left over '05 sitting by the front door. It was on sale for $4999. It was $5499 OTD. I didnt even look at anything else. I knew nothing about quads accept I thought it really looked coool and I had the money in my pocket to buy it. I was sitting on it when the salesman walked up and asked... "Can I help you?" Without hestitation I pulled 60 Ben Franklins outta my front pocket and said "I want this Quad. Load it up in my truck." It was just about dark by the time I drove away from the shop. BTW, I didnt bother to ask my ol lady if I could buy it. LOL. Anyway, I took it by the house and showed her. She was kinda stunned but not mad. We drove over to a friend of mines house and unloaded it. I took it to the field across the street from his house. HOLY CHIT!!!!! I was surprised by the power. I had it for about 2 weeks and took it to Sand Lake. I was there a few hours and rolled it on a banked turn at the top of the bowl right before you get to the one-ways. When it rolled, I flew off and landed on my belly. The quad came bouncing and landed on my back. For a month I couldnt even walk. I was scared of it. I considered trading it for a 250EX. Went back to the shop. The salesman said..."Dude!!! You dont want a 250EX!!! Trust me. Just get used to it" I still wasnt convinced. I put it on craigslist for $4000. Calls were coming in. I had a guy that wanted to come look at it that evening. I decided to take it for one last ride at Browns Camp before I sold it. I was still afraid of it. After about 5 minutes I started feeling comfortable on it again. I decided right then, I loved my Honda 450 and would learn how to ride it instead of selling it. That was late Nov of '06. Work was slow for a Painter in Oregon. My new job everyday? Going to Browns Camp and ridding my Quad. I bought my Girl Friend an '02 Blaster. I rode my 450 for 4-6 hours almost every single day for 3 months. And yes, I know my way around Browns Camp pretty well. LOL. In March I bought her an '06 TRX250EX (Thank God I didnt trade my 450 for one of those) LOL Since then, I have become totally addicted to quads. I love them. Couldnt imagine not owning at least one quad. Luckily I have two. My "07 was $6500 OTD in July of '07. Bought it for my Girlfriend. Traded in her 250 EX. A month later we broke up. So, I wound up with two Honda 450's.

• By Am2007
      Hi everyone,
      Outlander 2006 400 XT i have replace the startor cover and right after i did that the oil light is on and not turn off, i check the wires and checked the oil level, everything seem to be normal quad is starting without any problem and rev just fine. i did not want to ride it since im not sure if it is faulty sensor or not so just be safe i did not let it run more the a minute or so. 
      I have read in the owner manual that i need to clean the oil strainer every 200hr unfortunately i never did that, my service manual that i have does not even indicate of such a thing. so i did some search around and it seem like canam split the manual into 3 parts
      owner manual
      service manual
      engine manual
      I have the first 2 but i can not find the last one, part number 219100232. If someone can guide me where do i find the oil strainer so i can clean it i will appreciate it.   im going to do an oil pressure test tomorrow to check how many PSI i have, just to make sure.
      Thanks