Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Mark Walters

1991 Honda Fourtrax 300 no lights, no start

Posted (edited)

Hi guys.  First post, hope you can help.  As above 1991 Honda fourtrax.  Starting, running fine until a few weeks ago. Used primarily to put my ski boat in the garage (put 2" ball on front).  Any way, had just backed boat into garage, turned off to crank trailer wheel down, when I went to restart got nothing.  

No neutral light, no headlights, no reverse light, would not turn over when start button pushed.  It would crank and run when I jumped the contacts on the start relay.  While running the neutral light will come on, although it is dim and flickers.  Reverse light on when running and in reverse.

What I have done to this point:

1.  Used jumper cable to ground battery (-) terminal to engine block thinking ground wire from battery to engine may be bad.  No neutral light, no start.

2. Applied 12 volts to start relay.  Got a loud click like it was making contact.  I didn't have the battery/starter cables connected to the relay, but I am assuming it would have cranked at that time.  

3. Disconnected neutral switch wire.  Grounded neutral switch wire with jumper wire. No neutral light, no electric start. 

At this point I am thinking ignition switch vs broken wire in the harness going to the neutral switch (due to dimness and flickering when running).

Any and all suggestions to help track down this issue are appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Mark Walters
Spelling, left something out

Welcome to Quadcrazy, I would check the rectifier and see what’s going on. It’s possible that it’s bad causing a voltage issue. 

Then I would check the voltage at the battery and see what you have there including cranking if you can get it to crank. You may be right on a bad ignition.

Double check the the ground cable(black) where it bolts up to the frame from the wire coming off the battery. 

Wiggle the key also while this is going on to see if it starts.  If so then while it’s running wiggle the key to see if it acts up again.  

Thanks for the response.  After spending some time studying the wiring diagram, I realized that I had missed one of the first things I should have checked.  The pair of fuses coming of from the battery.  Both fuses were good, but one of the connector wires had broken away from the fuse.  I used a jumper wire from the battery side of the fuse to the broken wire and the neutral light came on and it fired right up.

Now to find the wire to fuse connector to repair the broken one.

Thanks again.

fuse cable.JPG

• Like 1

That’s a good find ! Nice work, that’s an old type in line fuse.   I would order the newer style and splice it right in.  

I use these and they work great just make sure you put the right size fuse in.  You can see the amperage of the old glass  fuse on the metal part.     

Waterproof car fuse holder 5/10/15/20/30A Amp In Line Blade Fuse Holder with 10 pcs fuse https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DLUQ1BW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9KhhDbSWH2JTZ

funny how we usually think something wrong is buried deep within a bike thats making it not run right and all the time it was right under our nose..  happens to me all the time..  check the little stuff first i guess...

Correct @davefrombc easy non invasive stuff first. These items usually don’t cost a dime and often tell the story for the most part as to what’s going on.  

Hello, i have a honda 300 1997 model so one day i was cruising down my road with all of my lights working then i started to see them get very bright then all of a sudden no lights the oil light came on and i instantly turned off the atv, after a few minutes of sitting i turned over the key and the oil light would come on then turn off after a few seconds but i have no neutral light the reverse light works and the oil light but no other lights work also the four wheeler will turn over off of the battery and at first i noticed after the incident happened when i would rev the engine the oil light would get bright kind of like a water hose being turned up but until this day i have no lights but the oil light when key is first turned on and the reverse light no other lights work. And to keep it in mind it was pitch black outside when it happened so i had alot of fun getting back home.

Nothing like riding in the dark.  

Have you checked your battery and gone over any wiring that could have shorted out? 

Check all the fuses as well.  It could be your regulator or stator coil. But start with the basic stuff first and go from there.  

It is most likely a rectifier/ regulator  problem.  It is possible  when  the rectifier /regulator goes  for the AC voltage  from the stator  to  spike up to  30 volts or possibly  more  and burn out your lights.  "Lights  going  really  bright  and then  off"  points to that possibility.  Check  your  headlight  by  jumpering 12v directly to the contacts on it. Check voltage  to the  battery terminals with the motor  running

• Like 1