Quantcast

That would explain the exhaust ticking sound...

MarkinAR

Usually a sign of a warped head where compression can leak by and burn/blow out the gasket or the head bolt is not tight or stripped.  
Secondly it could a bad gasket set your using? 
Either way it sucks, if you find the head warped and not going to mill it down then just throw two gaskets on it and tighten down in a cris cross pattern to make sure the gasket tightens down properly. 

• Haha 1

Probably bad head gasket.  It was leaking oil between the cylinder and case so i stripped it down and put a new gasket set all the way through to fix the oil leak..which it did.  It wasn't a cheapie but anything can have an issue once in a while i guess.  Ordering up a new top end gasket set again and a pinion seal for the middle gear as it's pouring oil.

This bike is in that in between stage....between I've replaced everything and it should be good for many years and I'm tired of replacing stuff and it needs a new home!  Can't decide which.  Given the high/low range though it's tempting to keep because it'll turn big tires.

• 3 weeks later...

Ha.  Got it back together, started first crank and idled like a champ.  But metal on metal clicking like it was about to blow apart.  Did some digging and found the exhaust rocker just a bit out of spec and a crushed oring on the rocker cover.  Just enough to get them to meet in the middle.  Adjusted the exhaust rocker, new oring, filed the cover a bit to clean it up and we're back to good.  With the oring crushing like in the attached picture, i'm suspect on the quality of the top end gasket set.  Thus....pretty sure the head gasket blew apart because it's crap if it's as bad as the orings.

20200217_200021.jpg

Yes.  I replaced every gasket from the base cylinder gasket all the way to the top.  The oring around the cam cover was also crushed like that...so just crap seals.

Sold it last night though so the haunted Kodiak is someone else's issue now.  Once the 300 is back together i have a 300 2wd Bayou bought that will be next in line.  It just needs basic maintenance and clean up.  bought it cheap and should be a good little utility ATV.  The Bayou is one of my favorites to flip because they are simple, cheap and reliable.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's important that metal head gaskets can get their heat away into the block and head.. so using any sort of sealant isn't a good idea. The head and block need to be clean metal too.. if there's dirt/carbon between the parts then the heat can't get away to the head/block.

It's a good idea to have a bit of ten mill thick plate glass in the workshop to use with wet and dry sandpaper to clean and/or flatten heads.

• 1 month later...

Well.. It depends whether I'm checking or wanting to grind.. I run cam covers and even in the old days carby faces over it. They say head's(on cars/trucks), should be ground to a fairly rough finish.. It would be about like grinding an aluminum bike head with 250 to 150. If you have a big surface though it makes a difference to the pressure you apply, and so to the finish you get. For big heads you flip them and rub the glass over the head. Generally I'd use 250 and apply pressure..

• 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Gwbarm
      I have been exploring all the options available, so many, its hard to choose. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Honda Pilot, Subaru Outback, and Kind of looking at the Outlander, although its a little small,  the new one is nice looking. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or gripes with any of these rides. I have driven Jeeps for the past 25  years and they have been great, but their price point has gotten to high. Expieriences good or bad would be helpful. Thanks!
    • By DrtyGrlKristin
      Just thought I'd start a new thread for newbies to the site!
      If you're new here, tell us who you are, where you're from and what you ride!!!
      Lets get to know each other a little better shall we?
      I'm not new to the site, obviously, but...
      I'm Kristin from Denver!!! I ride a 2008 Yamaha Rhino. She's my muddy baby!!!!!! Several aftermarket parts on her. She's good to me! We try and ride every weekend. This weekend we're off to MOAB! :woot:
    • By Drillbit
      Hey all,
      I need some input on a problem I'm having with my Kodiak 400 that keeps fouling plugs. First off, I've done a lot of work to this thing, most of it all in good fun. Brake work, cv joints, u joints, carb kit, checked valve lash, compression good, changed all fluids, etc... My problem is it keeps fouling plugs very quickly. I can put a new (manual recommended plug) in and it starts right up, runs great, idles great, picks up good. Doesn't stutter at all. I ride it for 1/2 a mile, it cuts off and won't start back up. I let it sit overnight thinking maybe it got to hot. Try to start it the next day, nothing. Put a new plug in, fires right up, runs great for another 1/2 mile or so, dead. The plugs come out and look carbon fouled with dry black soot on them. I don't know if this is a fuel/air mixture problem or a ignition problem. A couple of things that I noticed is I never need to pull the choke out to start it. Also, when it starts it automatically idles high like an automatic choke would do, then it comes back down to a good idle. Also I noticed that the air/fuel mixture needle valve screw does nothing when I adjust it in or out. I can screw it all the way closed and the motor still runs and idles good. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm almost leaning to a ignition breaking down the plugs??
      Thanks! 
    • By kantrud97
      Hello i have a 2005 Bombardier Outlander max xt 400, i recently split the case to fix a oil leak. while in there i took out the oil pump and i cant find the torque specs for the oil pump to go back in, i tend to over tighten everything so im trying to go be the torque specs so i dont break anything.

Thank you in advance
    • By Suzukiquad
      Hi, I have been around everything with a motor since I was little, and finally purchased more to get my husband, and kids involved. I have 4 quads I will be searching around for information on. I have two 2002 Suzuki LT80K quads, a 1997 Yamaha Timberwolf 250, and a 1996 Kawasaki Bayou 220. I have had different ones throughout the years, and plan on buying another Yamaha Banshee. I plan on trying to learn more about all of them, so I can customize some of them. I know nothing about them besides how to race them, my dad always took care of the rest, but figured it was time for me to learn.