Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

CDI box from Ebay Reverse Light Stays On

Aftermarket CDI's i have never had any luck with.  NOT ONE! They do weird things to the atv. Lights, come on, blown fuses etc.

I put an oem used or new (expensive) in place and all good.  

It seems to be the most expensive parts that cost the most but work the best.   🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

I have read that a CDI can go bad sitting on the shelf.  Something to do with needing electricity to flow through it to keep it healthy.  There is a thread somewhere on here where a guy went through like 6 before getting one that would work. So most likely yes, defective CDI.

Well thats a first for me.  Maybe if it were a moist area where they were stored??
Constant electrical flow should have nothing to  with the life span of a cdi.  As long as its not soaked or hooked up backwards (battery) it should be fine. 

In some of my previous posts on other topics, i mention how i put a cdi in the oven for 10 min on 250 deg. Pulled it out, cooled it off and put it back on the atv and it worked for a few days until it got moist inside again. Baked it one more time and this time added silicone to the outside of the cdi and it was fine for a long time. 

The failure inside cdi boxes are usually caused by failed diodes.  Weather it be from reverse voltage, welding on an atv without disconnecting the wiring etc. These things wreak havoc and stops the cdi from sending voltage to the ignition coil any longer.  

Now if its just a moisture issue then it can be warmed, dried and resealed as mentioned above.  Just don't over cook it.   

• Like 1

Agreed, It probably got wet and that is why its not working. CDI's or any other electrical part does not need a flow of power to keep it good, pure bunk.

I don't know about other model ATV's but Arctic Cat usually encases the CDI in epoxy so its impossible to repair them, too bad, because most of the parts inside would be cheap to replace such as diodes and capacitors. Once a CDI box gets to about 20 years old, it is common for the capacitors inside to fail, then you have no spark.

Electrolytic capacitors typically only have a life of about 20 years before the plates break down inside (kinda like a battery)

Mike

• Like 2

• Ajmboy changed the title to CDI box from Ebay Reverse Light Stays On

Damn. Easy there gents, I was only relaying a previous thread I read somewhere on here. But would it not stand to reason that a CDI does indeed have a shelf life due to moisture? Bare metal crusts in ambient humidity so maybe a CDI on a shelf for a few years could draw a bit of humidity? Especially given that there is no QC on imported Chinese parts? 

On 3/4/2020 at 6:23 AM, Duane Steward said:

I purchased a CDI box from Ebay that was listed as the one for a 200trx with round plug.....when I plugged it in the reverse light stays on.....what did I do wrong ? or is it just a bad CDI box?

I only buy OEM parts when it comes to electrical

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Randel1
      I'm having a problem getting a CDI unit that works. The parts list calls for a  4XE-85540-00-00 CDI unit. The one currently on the ATV works but there seems to be a problem with the spark advance curve. It will idle fine an rev. to about 1.5K then  starts bogging down sputtering, popping and basically running poorly. If you can get it above 2200 RPM it runs better. I have ordered and returned about 5 replacement modules that will not work at all. The unit currently on the bike has no part numbers or identification other than a Mitisibuchi logo. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems with replacement CDI's and if so what is the fix? So far I have not found a replacement CDI that will supply an pulse to the Ignition coil.
    • By Brent Mason
      I have worked about 4 weeks on my Griz600 and have burnt 2 CDIs up ! I added a wire harness and stator and It starts but runs erratically like spark timing is off ! So I would like to try another CDI but I don’t want to Pay an arm n leg ! Anybody have one ? Thanks 
    • By Brent Mason
      I have been trying to get my Griz600 running right for 3 weeks ! Grandsons used it and it quit running , no spark ! New stator etc and started but ran terrible ! Found a burnt capacitor on cdi . Installed used cdi and burnt it also but ran same as other cdi . Came to conclusion wire harness had short so stripped it and found some bad spots fixed and another cdi ran terrible again ! Bought another harness and same rough running ! Checked spark timing with light (put tdc mark on case and on pull start hub) and when it starts timing right on but will jump 25+° retard ! When timing is on tdc marks it has no power ! The stator is new but I am wondering if the pickup coil is triggering incorrectly ? Also had top end apart when I first started having trouble and although rings were good I installed new rings . Also new timing chain and check the valves , they were good also . It kind of seems to boil down to the last stator I installed new ? I have done trouble shooting on quite a few cars , trucks , dirt bikes and ATVs but this is frustrating me ! Just wondering if anyone has any ideas ? Carb was new last yr and I checked it ! I
      IMG_4379.MOV
    • By Brent Mason
      IMG_4272.MOV Originally had my griz600 stop running and then wouldn’t start ! After testing all coils , valve lash , compression (115psi) and all tested ok I bought a used cdi . After cdi install it still wouldn’t start (no spark) ! So even though the stator , pulse/trigger and charge coils check within good range I decided to switch the stator etc ! It started but It is very unresponsive on throttle and acts like it is running in 2 Different spark timing ! With slight throttle it will take off good but instantly go into a very different running mode with no power like timing very retarded but it will switch back to running good for short period then bad again !  Since I replaced the stator and it started I then decided to install the cdi I replaced and it did the same thing ! Also I noticed the Used cdi I Took off had a capacitor that had swelled and extruded from the back of the cdi . I had always heard and I believed that when these CDIs go bad they machine will quit and will not run . Is that true ? I also checked the cam/valve timing and its ok ! Checked with timing light and it does fluctuate on idle ! I am thinking I have 2 bad CDIs . I also switched the trigger Coil wires and would not start then . Man , this thing ran good before and I am confused ! Video below may help !
      IMG_4272.MOV
    • By Brent Mason
      1998 Grizzly600 ! Slowly died then wouldn’t start ! All coils check good ohms ! Checked ac voltage from source coil get OL ! Is the source coil bad ?