Quantcast

my Sons used Chinese quad. few things

I bought this four-wheeler used for my son's birthday last week. It wasn't running when I got it but after a new battery and some tinkering it has been running for 5 days probably 8-10 hours of run time. 

Today after 1 hour  My son wanted to wash it, I showed him how to be careful not getting water near the engine. We were careful but after we washed it and let it dry the motor starts but the transmission slips and won't really go forward.  Even if I pick the back of the four wheeler up the wheels only go forward a tiny bit. It's as if something is slipping inside.   But it worked fine right before the wash.

Not sure what brand. I was told it was 90 cc's the VIN is attached.  Is it 90 or 110ccs?

No air filter came with it. Using a some old stockings until I figure out what air filter to order.

My son is so bummed so I want to get it back up to speed but also teach him how to work on it.

20200620_184900.jpg

20200615_185012.jpg

• Like 1

Displacement is generally stamped somewhere towards the bottom of the cylinder.  It looks like the usual 90cc Tao Tao or whatever name brand chinese quad.  Most of them are basically Honda clones.

i'm a bit concerned on the slipping though.  that's chain driven so it should be normal primary and secondary clutch like any other ATV.  if it slipped, and was truly slipping in gear, then the only way for water to make it slip would be if there were water in the case making the primary clutch slip.  Check the oil and make sure it's not milky.

these are fun little quads- ive owned two chinese atvs and 4 other small atvs.  awesome to rip around on and even it you do turn it over it wont kill you lol.  id check the oil and if you mesure the opening on your carb, you can usually find one of amazon that has a matching opening size.  if you got water in your carb, it could have possibly worked down into the motor and then into the oil.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Gwbarm
      I have been exploring all the options available, so many, its hard to choose. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Honda Pilot, Subaru Outback, and Kind of looking at the Outlander, although its a little small,  the new one is nice looking. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or gripes with any of these rides. I have driven Jeeps for the past 25  years and they have been great, but their price point has gotten to high. Expieriences good or bad would be helpful. Thanks!
    • By DrtyGrlKristin
      Just thought I'd start a new thread for newbies to the site!
      If you're new here, tell us who you are, where you're from and what you ride!!!
      Lets get to know each other a little better shall we?
      I'm not new to the site, obviously, but...
      I'm Kristin from Denver!!! I ride a 2008 Yamaha Rhino. She's my muddy baby!!!!!! Several aftermarket parts on her. She's good to me! We try and ride every weekend. This weekend we're off to MOAB! :woot:
    • By Suzukiquad
      Hi, I have been around everything with a motor since I was little, and finally purchased more to get my husband, and kids involved. I have 4 quads I will be searching around for information on. I have two 2002 Suzuki LT80K quads, a 1997 Yamaha Timberwolf 250, and a 1996 Kawasaki Bayou 220. I have had different ones throughout the years, and plan on buying another Yamaha Banshee. I plan on trying to learn more about all of them, so I can customize some of them. I know nothing about them besides how to race them, my dad always took care of the rest, but figured it was time for me to learn. 
    • By Drillbit
      Hi all, from Virginia here. This winter I bought a old Atv to tinker with and have really enjoyed it. Thanks for this forum.
    • By Bobbywolf
      I am working on a basket case for a friend.  It is a 98 Big Bear (YFM350FWB).  It came with a parts machine which is a 96, which I am coming to find out is VERY different from his machine.

Anyway, first thing is first.  I checked compression, 150psi.  Valves are set correctly, and the engine is in time.  I cleaned the carb, and there was some junk in the passages.  It is a chinese carb, which I figured from the lack of markings or lettering altogether.

The bike runs.  It idles ok, but breaks up badly under acceleration.  Pulling a new spark plug shows it is running lean.  White strap, with no black whatsoever.  So I have the carb adjusted with the mixture screw out way too much (about 5 turns), and the diaphragm needle lifted to the top slot.  It is still not getting enough fuel (or too much air).  It backfires through the carb, and cannot get above idle without carrying on.  The carb boot is in good shape, so it isn't pulling any air there.  I did test this as well by spraying ether around the boot when running, looking for intake leaks.

Anything big I am missing here?  I am starting to believe that this chinese carb is the issue.  This quad came with the original carb, which I would like to rebuild and use, but the mixture screw is totally stuck, and stripped way down in its recess.  

Thanks for any assistance.