Quantcast

2005 Yamaha Big Bear 400 wheel bearings and ....?

mga

1 hour ago, Mech said:

Also Mga, it's always worth looikng up the parts online, then seeing what other models they fit, because often the other model uses a different part number, and sometimes that other part number is available. They change the numbers if it's a superseded part, or got a different colored paint or any number of trivial things..

Good advice. i did look up the OEM number and searched with that. The one i found was the exact part i need. The same part number does fit certain years but i made sure this was the part to be used. Some ATV place in ohio was selling it on ebay...a little expensive for a used part, but, that part is hard to find because it's no longer in production.

1 hour ago, Gwbarm said:

I know what you mean it doesn't take long to sink a lot of money into one. I try to look at it as, im fixing this up to use, maybe I have more in it than its worth, but its good and it will do what I want it to do and its cheaper than anew one. 

i'm not doing any hard core riding with it. I just wanted to use it around the yard. New ones are like buying a car or truck now and i just bought a new truck. lol

I think the parts places are pretty dependable, if they say your part will fit another model then it will, and the other model part will fit yours.

It's easy to cross check. Look up your part  and see what else it fits, then look up some of those models and see if their part is said to fit your bike, then if you really want to check their info, go to another parts site and repeat the whole process.

You may find that your part is available under another part number. Sometimes under several numbers.

Also, I'd consider pulling that bent arm and straightening it. The suspension and the wheel alignments on these things really aren't too critical They can be a bit misaligned and still track fine and have no problems.

Edited by Mech
  • Like 1

While i'm waiting for all my parts to show up, i have another question...lol....on the front fender, there;s a "LOCK/UNLOCK" hole with no switch. I saw only two disconnected wires under the fender so i'm assuming they would have connected to the terminals on this missing switch. I figured out it's for the differential to lock or unlock it. I've looked on line but every switch i saw was mounted on the handle bars. I haven't found anything that looked like it would fit.

Being that there's only two wires to this, why can't i just wire a simple "push on/pull off" switch?

2 hours ago, Gwbarm said:

I have a 2000 the only hole I have on my fender is for an accessory power outlet my differential engage is on the handlebars but it doesn't look factory

ok, this is what i'm looking at. don't mind the paint, i'm in the process of painting the fenders. Maybe i'm wrong about what it is, but when i turn on the power, the wires are live with 12 volts.

Lock.jpg

1 hour ago, Jas said:

That’s an accessory power outlet. I fitted the same one to the tray of my ute. You can run a spotlight or other 12v things from it.

OMG....that makes perfect sense!!!  stupid me, the "lock/unlock" threw me off.. thanks for the clarification,

Edited by mga

1 hour ago, Jas said:

Supposedly the plug locks in and doesn’t fall out but I’m yet to have one work property.

i doubt if i'll ever be using it. seems like the only ones who would use it would be deer poachers (joke) Almost done with the front suspensions. all new ball joints, bearing, etc. just waiting for the lower A arm to get here.

I never realized how hard it was for ball joints to come out or go in. But, i found out if i torched them, they melt like lead and almost drop out. Putting the new ones in was a challenge,

When all that is done, i'll be painting the fenders. Someone thought painting them balck was a cool thing to do.

Next question....there's an opening on the carb at the top. (I placed a RED cap in it) Is there a hose that connects there? I've searched for hose diagrams , but can't find anything that plugs in there. I thought maybe it's for the crankcase vent?

carb.jpg

I'd try blowing down it and see where it goes. It might be blocked off.

On a Suzuki there is normally a float chamber vent just around the corner from there on a flat you can see shaped like a figure eight. The vent is drilled into the top of that figure eight.. If there's no other vent then that's probably what it's for.  Blowing will tell you..

1 hour ago, Gwbarm said:

Not sure, but I agree with Mech, must be different carb I don't have anything that looks like that on my Big Bear

it's definately an after market carb. While looking at some, i noticed they have that same "tube" protruding out. the only tube i see on the engine was a cut one. I was guessing it went there. I saw one diagram that showed the engine's PVC tube attached there

You'd be best to download the service manual and have a look. The manuals tell us exactly where to route the hoses and cables and wiring..

The engine breather is often connected to the airbox breather, and they both have a branch that runs up and around the range selector panel and then ends in two open hoses up there.

And that splined thing on the carby there.. are you sure it's not some sort of sintered metal and actually a breather..

Yes I would have assumed it was a 12 volt auxillary outlet......I have one on my fender......Its a shame you do not have a welder......An A arm is pretty simple to fabricate.......I would be sh** out of luck without my Miller.......I could not even imagine how much money I have saved over the years making and fixing my own parts.......They are so worth the investment and it has paid for itself a hundred times over......Good luck and I hope you are at the end of putting money into it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Krominator said:

Yes I would have assumed it was a 12 volt auxillary outlet......I have one on my fender......Its a shame you do not have a welder......An A arm is pretty simple to fabricate.......I would be sh** out of luck without my Miller.......I could not even imagine how much money I have saved over the years making and fixing my own parts.......They are so worth the investment and it has paid for itself a hundred times over......Good luck and I hope you are at the end of putting money into it.

the ironic part is my son is a welder, and teaches welding...lol..but he's 700 miles from me. He's also going for the coveted CWI certificate. We moved about 3 years ago and he was my go to welder back there. I should buy one and the next time he comes down here he can give me a crash course.  lol  i guess at 72 years old, i'm still young enough to learn !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gwbarm said:

Sorry, I was wrong, thinking of a different bike, the Hose you were asking about goes from carb to larger hose

IMG_3442.jpeg

The power outlet on my BB

IMG_3441.jpeg

perfect pictures!!  thanks!  I knew a hose had to fit on that carb. I'll check the manual or parts look-ups to see if i can ID it for a part number.