Quantcast

2005 Yamaha Big Bear 400 wheel bearings and ....?

mga

The little hoses are cheap but the larger hoses 50 and 140 im missing the largest hose and it said unavailable  im just starting to buy yamaha parts and they are quite a bit more expensive than Suzuki, the other one im working on, but I don't think I will pay 140 plus shipping for a hose, ill make something else work. Ebay wanted 140 for the complete airbox and larger hose, still kind of high for a muddy box and hose that's probably cracked somewhere.

• Like 1

ha.  my OCD makes me go beyond what i should be doing. Sometimes, i just can't say "that's good enough" and move on.

There's an extra "snorkle" tube from the air box that i saw, but, the price of it is outrageous, so, i'll figure something out. I don't plan on driving it in water, so, i can do without it. But that larger hose from the carb...it looks like it needs clean air, so, i'll have to figure out where to run it to. Also, the airbox is missing the lid for it, another item i have to buy. I'll just go to the auto parts store and get a large vacuum hose.

it's slowly going back together. the front end is done. I didn't realize the axle nuts have to be at least 150 ft pounds, but, i got it. New springs for the throttle cable..what a pain that was (the spring in the handle bar throttle cable box) and a new "choke cable". 

The carb is missing that triangle shaape cover. the guy i bought this from was supposed to send it to me...2 weeks ago. i'm going to have to break his balls about it...again. lol or, as someone suggested, i can just make a cover out of plexiglass and call it a day.

other that the costs of little parts here and there, this thing is kinda fun to work on. 

ha.  my OCD makes me go beyond what i should be doing. Sometimes, i just can't say "that's good enough" and move on.

There's an extra "snorkle" tube from the air box that i saw, but, the price of it is outrageous, so, i'll figure something out. I don't plan on driving it in water, so, i can do without it. But that larger hose from the carb...it looks like it needs clean air, so, i'll have to figure out where to run it to. Also, the airbox is missing the lid for it, another item i have to buy. I'll just go to the auto parts store and get a large vacuum hose.

it's slowly going back together. the front end is done. I didn't realize the axle nuts have to be at least 150 ft pounds, but, i got it. New springs for the throttle cable..what a pain that was (the spring in the handle bar throttle cable box) and a new "choke cable". 

The carb is missing that triangle shaape cover. the guy i bought this from was supposed to send it to me...2 weeks ago. i'm going to have to break his balls about it...again. lol or, as someone suggested, i can just make a cover out of plexiglass and call it a day.

other that the costs of little parts here and there, this thing is kinda fun to work on. 

FYI...some guy in kentucky on FB marketplace is parting out a Big Bear. I asked about the air box but haven't heard back from him. Its a 350 big bear

Edited by mga

Patience can save us a lot of money sometimes....

Good on you for getting the old girl going.

I'm too old to be bothered now days (and I'm younger than you), but my mechanic son buys wrecks and does up...  just to get another bike on the road..  He hardly makes anything for it but he's happy to see some young guy with a good buy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mech said:

Patience can save us a lot of money sometimes....

Good on you for getting the old girl going.

I'm too old to be bothered now days (and I'm younger than you), but my mechanic son buys wrecks and does up...  just to get another bike on the road..  He hardly makes anything for it but he's happy to see some young guy with a good buy.

someone, later in the future, will appreciate that i put never seize on every nut, bolt, part and screw i touched on this thing. plus i'm painting the fenders and tank back to hunter green. i might even get new decals for it. 

the plastic rivets that hold the fender mud flaps...guy on ebay was selling them for over $6 EACH! Bought a 125 on amazon for $11.

Edited by mga

I put one on my suzuki when I got it, old one was flooding badly, which was also a generic, the plastic piece that screws into carb for choke cable was stripped out and triangle piece that covers the cables was missing, I ordered a generic that came with these pieces and the whole carb was cheaper than these two pieces OEM. Put it on and it ran perfectly, idle was a little slow so I adjusted it, and have had no problems yet. That was a couple of months ago, we will see how long it lasts. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jim Denton said:

I've used the chinameese carbs on small engines around the farm here with good results. On the more complex cv carbs seems hit or miss. I hope you're in the hit side of things.I'd personally rather rebuild the oem unit.

wish it came with the OEM carb, unfortunately, it didn't. I have it stripped down (all electrical unplugged) so i could power wash it.  Once i get the fenders painted, i can start putting all that back together and pay attention to the carb. it ran good when i first looked at it, so, i don't see why it won't now. i hope. Just trying to make it look original, or close to it.

just finished wet sanding the fenders. Someone spraay painted them black, so i sprayed them with Easy Off oven cleaner, let it soak for about 15 minutes, then hosed off the black paint. Spots that didn't come off, i used 0000 steel wool, washed them with soap, then wet sanded them with 500 grit wet/dry sand paper. If i have time, i'll paint them this week. Fuel tank is black plastic, but, i'll paint that too so it all matches.

Then i can put it all together

fenders.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gwbarm said:

Yours is in about the same state as mine but im still chasing wiring problems, I like the green ashamed you can't polish them .

there is a guy on FB who had a Big Bear 350 he was parting out. Maybe he has the complete wiring harness if that would help you. Actually, he's got a web site that he parts out complete ATV's and motorcycles. I was amazed at what he has, but he doesn't sell them complete..only parts. Some looked new as well.

see here:

https://www.facebook.com/Powersport-Parts-LLC-108021950670725

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mga said:

there is a guy on FB who had a Big Bear 350 he was parting out. Maybe he has the complete wiring harness if that would help you. Actually, he's got a web site that he parts out complete ATV's and motorcycles. I was amazed at what he has, but he doesn't sell them complete..only parts. Some looked new as well.

see here:

https://www.facebook.com/Powersport-Parts-LLC-108021950670725

Thanks for the info. There's a couple of big auctions he hits I bet. Dealer and insurance company stuff. I have a buddy that flips stuff from a big Harley auction. 

• Like 1

Thanks for looking for me, mine ia a 2000  Big Bear 400, wiring harness is different for the 350, in fact, im having a lot of trouble finding parts for  the 2000 except OEM , when the year range its listed for generic parts the 2000 model is always omitted don't know what's different about it. See plenty for the 2000 Kodiak, which I thought would be about the same, but not Big Bear.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gwbarm said:

Thanks for looking for me, mine ia a 2000  Big Bear 400, wiring harness is different for the 350, in fact, im having a lot of trouble finding parts for  the 2000 except OEM , when the year range its listed for generic parts the 2000 model is always omitted don't know what's different about it. See plenty for the 2000 Kodiak, which I thought would be about the same, but not Big Bear.

when i bought mine, the guy told me it was a 2005. A few says later, after my original post, i chased the seerial numbers and it's a 2000. So, if i can send you any pics of wiring or something, let me know. When i was looking for parts, none of them looked like what i had on mine, that's when i checked the vin and found out why. 

At this point, i don't care if its a 2000, it's almost together. After i painted the fenders today, i opened the garage door and it sprung off the tracks and one of the cables came off. ARGH! Then, to add to more excitement, my door lift burned out. So, i spent about 5 hours on youtube trying to figure out how to fix the door, plus I had to order a new opener. Wife was not happy about a $300 bill. Monday i have to call a garage door place and have them come down and fix it...probably another $300 bill.  The door is a 17 foot insulated door and it's damn heavy!  

When it rains, it pours i guess.

by the way, i saw a 2000 big bear 400 on FB market place for $600. Its in south carolina tho. There's some 1999 on there too. 

Edited by mga