Quantcast

90's King Quad 300 resurrection.

Jim Denton

I was gifted four King Quad 300's, they were used to tow portable snow guns around the slopes. All of the plastics are trashed and racks bent up from rolling down the mountain. The lone Quadrunner is a 98, and will be the initial point of focus, as it reportedly ran before being parked in the field of lost dreams. 

20230124_163414.jpg

20230124_155531.jpg

20230117_094027.jpg

20191217_115007.jpg

The pic with the blue goop oozing out the inspection plug for the cam is very concerning.  It's pretty common for that goop to find its way onto the cam bearing with disastrous results.  I use as little goop as possible on the valve cover and I've seen some guys who don't use any.

The first thing you're going to want to check on those machines is the regulators.  It's a known issue and if they aren't bad, they will be soon.  I'd pop them off and have a look at the epoxy on the back.

I'd also be checking the intake valve lash.  If there is no lash then the intake valve and seat are toast.

Reach out if you have questions.  There isn't much about those machines that I didn't know at one time lol

• Like 1

Plenty to do on this thing. Thanks for the tips. I'll I've got to get the.carb sorted out, put the oil pump back together I've no idea why it's been taken out. And yes find out why the rtv and check the lash. And I've sourced a new rectifier as I don't want to wig the cdi unit out. If I'm lucky the next step will be trying to start it.

17 minutes ago, Jim Denton said:

And I've sourced a new rectifier as I don't want to wig the cdi unit out.

From that I can tell you've either done a lot of reading or a lot of living lol

What are your plans?  Are you going to fix n flip them? Or build one up into something?  Or something in between?

The head is the same as the 250S Quadsport so there are lots of cams to choose from.  Likewise with the piston.  You could even get crazy with a KZ1000 piston and resleeve.

• Haha 1

Ah ok.  I can tell you know what you're doing, but I'd never guess 66 for being so tech savvy posting pics n stuff.  I guess you're the type determined to know a bit about everything.  Good trait B|

If you have a head you want to sell I've been meaning to buy one to throw on the shelf just in case I spin another bearing or something.  Just ain't had the ambition to search ebay yet.

Maybe do but it would be from one of the Kings. If you're in no hurry. I want to get the Quadrunner going and out of the pole barn, then pull a King in. The other 3 will be broken down to feed it. If my plan works I'll have 3 complete motors. 3 raw frames and a pile of parts. What I don't have are plastics worth a  crap. Those machines rolled down the mountain more than a bunch of times. I've enclosed a picture of some top class plastic repairs. Been using computers since the days of dos. Used to build my own. Also a pic of my grandaddy milage machine.

20230128_171253.jpg

That looks like where quads go after they die lol

Get some semi truck mud flaps cut into strips and bolt those to the plastics.  Indestructible!  And they look kinda cool too.

You could weld some angle iron to the front racks to cover that mangling.  I did that anyway just to beef it up.

I'm in no hurry on the head.  It's just to throw on the shelf and hopefully I'll never need it.  I guess I just want one before they can't be found anymore.

I also have a terrible time keeping a speedo cable working.  I've bought 2 or 3 of them and they keep breaking.

Commodore 64 was my first.  I ran up a $1000 phone bill calling atlanta to get on the "internet" lol.  My parents were pissed!

• Haha 1

There was no give in the hand lever so something was frozen. Cracked the bleeder on each side, one at a time and got fluid on both wheel cylinders, so that ruled out the master cylinder. Squeezed the dickens out of the hand lever and one side of the left wheel cylinder moved. Time to replace the wheel cylinders. I figured they were the issue. I've been soaking the choke circuit plunger for 3 days now. I had to go to town today so I stopped by the motor sports dealer and talked with a mechanic there. He said he's drilled a hole in the brass plunger and used an ez out in the past, that he'd seen it before on these Mikunies if they've sat a long time. I hate ez outs. So me being me I grabbed the cable right at the bendy bit and pulled so hard the cable came out of the plunger. I did get it loose but now I've deformed the bore by tapping the wrong thing with a punch. Theres a land in the bore i thought was the plunger. I forgot the plunger waa brass. I'm hoping I can get in there with a scraper and clean that edge up.I'm good at making work for myself.

Those plungers I've got out before by soaking and then tapping along the outside of the carby where there's a thin walled bit of aluminium housing the plunger, that works the oil in, and if done enough spreads the bore slightly. Then the best way I've found is to make a small screwdriver that goes in the slot and right to the bottom, but isn't the usual tapered to the end screwdriver shape, but hollow ground to the end so it only contacts deep down in the plunger, only the tip touches, and it touches before the further back parts of the screwdriver tip touches up near the top of the slot.. where it won't bend the very soft material they are made of, or splay the two sides of the slot.. Then working it around (rotating and pulling) you can sometimes get the slot in the plunger to cut away a small amount of burring or corrosion..

If you do decide to drill it out you should get a new plunger first and measure the depth you need to drill to. They have a thinned down inner end which the spring rests upon and if you drill too far the drill hits the spring and cocks things over and makes it difficult.. cant quite remember the details but know it's best to measure and drill  to the needed depth and no more.

Sometimes you can hone and rebuild wheel cylinders.  Sometimes they just need cleaned up.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/155209517497

I don't have much experience with stuck chokes but what comes to mind when things are stuck is to use compressed air or a grease gun to force it out if you can get it fitted somehow.  Aluminum expands quite a bit when heated so you could try that too.  I used to toss cylinder jugs in a fire and after a while the sleeves would fall out.

• Like 1

Yeah they cost money but one set lasts a lifetime and they come in handy for a lot of things.  But yeah you could use polishing compound.  I've found brasso works best because it has an acid in it that helps.  I've shined pistons to a mirror finish before but it didn't help with carbon deposits.  Oh well live n learn lol.

Nice bike!  Ever since I nearly killed myself on a mountain road I quit those things lol.  I don't trust myself.  If a machine has the power I'm probably gonna use it.

I use those buffers all the time.  Just a couple weeks ago I used one to polish the armature on my starter before installing new brushes.  Makes short work of it.  Shines it up like new.  They work good for shining up the exhaust ports on heads.  Stick one in a wheel cylinder for 5 seconds and will look like new.

You might be able to shop around to find them cheaper.  And it's hard to tell the difference in grit so you don't need all the colors.  Might be able to find a box for 5 bucks.

• Like 1

Yeah that does look in good shape.  It's a 250S cam.

Suzuki took the 230S and modded it beyond what anyone else could have done.  They made the intake valve bigger, made the exhaust header a straight shot from the head, increase the rod end 17mm from 16mm, added a 7th clutch plate, fixed the 4th gear issue, nice shocks all around, wider axle, and bored it from 229cc to 246cc.  So you can imagine the thought they put into that cam.

In the 80s Suzuki was getting their butt kicked by Honda's 250X and the 250S was the answer they came up with.  Not sure why they only made it 2 years (89 and 90).

That cam is a rare find.  The only place I know of that still has some on the shelf is in Japan.

Looks like you're not sweating the egg prices lol

5 hours ago, JustRandy said:

Yeah that does look in good shape.  It's a 250S cam.

Suzuki took the 230S and modded it beyond what anyone else could have done.  They made the intake valve bigger, made the exhaust header a straight shot from the head, increase the rod end 17mm from 16mm, added a 7th clutch plate, fixed the 4th gear issue, nice shocks all around, wider axle, and bored it from 229cc to 246cc.  So you can imagine the thought they put into that cam.

In the 80s Suzuki was getting their butt kicked by Honda's 250X and the 250S was the answer they came up with.  Not sure why they only made it 2 years (89 and 90).

That cam is a rare find.  The only place I know of that still has some on the shelf is in Japan.

Looks like you're not sweating the egg prices lol

Well that's what I meant to say. And yup races and lobes are in great shape. I've an Andrew's EV-27 cam for the old HD in the barn. Same profile with longer duration. Just like the 250S cam. That, with some carb mods really wakes the old EVO up. Looking forward to this build. I'll be talking with these guys for a carb kit, I used their kit on thlasy EVO I built. More grunts always a good thing. And as to eggs, had to switch from tractor supply feed to try and get them laying again. If you want to go down a conspiracy rat hole, research that a bit.

https://www.6sigmajetkit.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAuefvBRDXARIsAFEOQ9FYzfql9qbgpfeUZnC1eXRdmuH7LOUvvZSe__yUWIK8yhbM57SIHGYaAsnaEALw_wcB

Edited by Jim Denton
Added Sigma 6 info.