Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

90's King Quad 300 resurrection.

Jim Denton

1 minute ago, JustRandy said:

I'm jealous he has 4 too.  I'd like to have one setup for the trails and one setup for work.

I like the idea of having spares so I can get others to join me and my brothers on the trail, I find one broken and cheap enough I'll buy it and have it trail worthy(enuff) in 2 weeks, plus shipping time, market has been wack for some time now tho :/

• Like 1

Kibble I'll have to get another pic of the plastics for you. They spent years rolling down a 1000' vertical drop mountainside. The youngsters working them thought it was funny.  Yup Randy, one for work and one for play. I might even get three out of them. That'll leave one for parts. I got a nice surprise today. Just knew the enricher gizmo was going to fight. One good tug and it popped right out. Ready for the ultrasonic machine now, that thing is stanky. 

20230219_170245.jpg

20230219_172804.jpg

18 minutes ago, Jim Denton said:

Kibble I'll have to get another pic of the plastics for you. They spent years rolling down a 1000' vertical drop mountainside. The youngsters working them thought it was funny.  Yup Randy, one for work and one for play. I might even get three out of them. That'll leave one for parts. I got a nice surprise today. Just knew the enricher gizmo was going to fight. One good tug and it popped right out. Ready for the ultrasonic machine now, that thing is stanky. 

20230219_170245.jpg

20230219_172804.jpg

Nastyyyy, parts washer is probably next on my tool list, for now it's brake cleaner spray and a variety of brushes, stuff cleans everything, smells to high hell tho.  It's kinda of awesome that they can be put thru that kind of hell and still come out running, battery location is almost as bad as yamahas or polaris is my only complaint with these machines. Unrelated but my favorite bit of advice is anti-seize everything, I love myself a little bit more everytime I have to remove a bolt I've removed once befor lol.

I was lead on a dentist office demo and refit. Got my pick of goodies. A nice set of Craftmade cabinets that I resold and an ultrasonic cleaner. It's big enough that I can fit an HD head in it, and it has 3 transducers. The thing rocks. I'll hose it with brake cleaner first though. Years ago I bought a Harbor Freight table top parts washer. Fill it up with diesel and it works pretty good.

20 minutes ago, Gwbarm said:

Not so bad , no white powder.

No amazingly enough it still had some gas in it. The tanks still half full. 

18 minutes ago, Kibblesnbits said:

Nastyyyy, parts washer is probably next on my tool list, for now it's brake cleaner spray and a variety of brushes, stuff cleans everything, smells to high hell tho.  It's kinda of awesome that they can be put thru that kind of hell and still come out running, battery location is almost as bad as yamahas or polaris is my only complaint with these machines. Unrelated but my favorite bit of advice is anti-seize everything, I love myself a little bit more everytime I have to remove a bolt I've removed once befor lol.

And yup, love the silver  stuff.

apply-anti-seize-sparingly-ten-minutes-later-37859294.jpg

1 hour ago, Jim Denton said:

They spent years rolling down a 1000' vertical drop mountainside. The youngsters working them thought it was funny. 

A buddy was riding my bayou and couldn't make a turn so he jumped off and grabbed a tree and sent the atv flying off the side of a mountain.  When they didn't show up at the nest split I went back looking for them and seen him standing there with a bloody nose and no atv.  I'm like "what happened to the quad?"  He pointed down the mountain and was pissed I cared more about the quad than him lol.  Well I could see he was ok but I couldn't see the quad at all!

5 hours ago, Kibblesnbits said:

im pretty shure mine went off a cliff and down a raven, everything is bent, whole main frame has a slight twist

Some strong chain and a bottle jack will straighten a frame.

almost as much zipties and gorilla tape as there is plastic and it smokes

I think we all have cracked plastics.  Join the club lol

Mine smoked so much it burned 4 qts of oil then screwed my cam and head a few years back.  I honed the cylinder and put in new rings.  Good as new now.  But make sure you put WIDE ring gaps.  What happens is the engine gets too hot and the rings butt together, so now I make the gaps huge.  I also installed a 6 inch fan from ebay.

58 minutes ago, Kibblesnbits said:

battery location is almost as bad as yamahas or polaris is my only complaint with these machines.

All the weight is in the back so I guess they decided to put the battery in front.  I upgraded to a lawnmower battery and wedged in 2 bigass chunks of lead behind the front bumper.  Think they weigh about 50 lbs.  Helps to balance it out a bit.

Friend of mine had a raptor with holeshots on the back.  The traction was so crazy I couldn't keep the front wheels on the ground, so I stuffed those lead weights in the front bumper so I could steer the thing lol

1 hour ago, Kibblesnbits said:

anti-seize everything

Yup, but hate getting that on my hands.  Seems like once it gets on my hands it gets on all my clothes and everything.

Works good for electrical connections too since it has aluminum in it.

43 minutes ago, Gwbarm said:

I use copper, no particular reason that is just what I got, is silver better.

I've heard copper works too.  I have some in a spray but only ever used it for copper head gaskets.

44 minutes ago, Gwbarm said:

I use copper, no particular reason that is just what I got, is silver better.

I've no idea I've always had the silver stuff. I've worked with a lot of stainless fasteners over the years. A tip? Never ever use an impact on stainless hardware, instangall. But the goo makes break loose by hand.

14 minutes ago, JustRandy said:

A buddy was riding my bayou and couldn't make a turn so he jumped off and grabbed a tree and sent the atv flying off the side of a mountain.  When they didn't show up at the nest split I went back looking for them and seen him standing there with a bloody nose and no atv.  I'm like "what happened to the quad?"  He pointed down the mountain and was pissed I cared more about the quad than him lol.  Well I could see he was ok but I couldn't see the quad at all!

Some strong chain and a bottle jack will straighten a frame.

I think we all have cracked plastics.  Join the club lol

Mine smoked so much it burned 4 qts of oil then screwed my cam and head a few years back.  I honed the cylinder and put in new rings.  Good as new now.  But make sure you put WIDE ring gaps.  What happens is the engine gets too hot and the rings butt together, so now I make the gaps huge.  I also installed a 6 inch fan from ebay.

All the weight is in the back so I guess they decided to put the battery in front.  I upgraded to a lawnmower battery and wedged in 2 bigass chunks of lead behind the front bumper.  Think they weigh about 50 lbs.  Helps to balance it out a bit.

Friend of mine had a raptor with holeshots on the back.  The traction was so crazy I couldn't keep the front wheels on the ground, so I stuffed those lead weights in the front bumper so I could steer the thing lol

Yup, but hate getting that on my hands.  Seems like once it gets on my hands it gets on all my clothes and everything.

Works good for electrical connections too since it has aluminum in it.

I've heard copper works too.  I have some in a spray but only ever used it for copper head gaskets.

Yeah silver gets on everything no matter how careful or clean I am, real love hate relationship with that stuff.

So wait, are you saying you cut your rings? Do they not come the right size? The ones I get come with the piston

A Porta Power does wonders too. There's one bent spot on this frame, one of the lower bolts for the front bumper things missing. So when somebody rammed a rock it bent. Its the bumper rather than the frame really, you can seenwhere it caves a little.  Your buddy got lucky. Now the bolt centers are off. The lille bottle jack is sitting next to it to fix that. Works wonders indeed. Hydraulics ate great for moving stuff. I completely tore down my Bayou, sandblasted everything, primed and painted it. Rebuilt the top end so I didn't look like a fog machine. Put a fan on it from the junkyard.  A horn just cause the motorcycle switch I got to control the fan had a horn button.  I had access to a very nice selection of metric ss socket head hardware so swapped just about all the fasteners. Put a winch on it. Ran all that through individuale relays. Found a set of plastics on Ebay for $100.00 with free shipping. They screwed up their listing and didn't want to piss ebay off so they honored the deal. It was a 2wd but I surprised a lot of people with it. That was my first atv. Been thinking about moving the battery to where the storage box was. Some front weights a good idea. The hills here ain't molehills.FH2.jpg.a8095603691de35003d1c39827e19825.jpg

F&H1.jpg

Controls.jpg

Nekid.jpg

Winch.jpg

Poser.jpg

5 minutes ago, Kibblesnbits said:

Yeah silver gets on everything no matter how careful or clean I am, real love hate relationship with that stuff.

So wait, are you saying you cut your rings? Do they not come the right size? The ones I get come with the piston

You file the ends off for a bigger gap.

24 minutes ago, Kibblesnbits said:

The directions that come with the piston specify the ring gap to make according to the type of engine mods you have.  I just take it a step further to be absolutely sure the gaps never close.  Big gaps won't bother anything with an engine with such a long stroke.

Here's Wiseco:

20230219_215146.thumb.jpg.61ff9de1931891df00e208de50c71d06.jpg

20230219_215210.thumb.jpg.f8e619fe124091cc40830158d871a89a.jpg

Adjust the gaps according to the amount of heat you expect.  My quad pushes a plow in summer so although it's not nitrous or blown it generates a lot of heat without any air movement.  Plus I have a high compression piston.

Once the rings expand due to heat and the gaps close then it has no where to go except to expand into the cylinder wall.  Once that happens the rings won't seal and it will burn oil.

So then you have to hone it to roughen the walls and that roughness is used to cut the new rings so that they seal well.  That's why a lot of guys say to ride it like you stole it when you first put it back together in order to seat the rings.  Of course that is an issue with a lot of debate and no clear right answer.

There used to be an optional cooling fan you could buy for the King:

fan.thumb.jpg.b8ee1b9df65a1a95ff57e8194ffa6ebc.jpg

45 minutes ago, Jim Denton said:

That was my first atv.

Bayou was my first also.  I did a lot with it.  A lot more than I should have lol

Yours looks a heck of a lot better than mine did.  My was green.  I should probably post some pics.  Been meaning to just been busy lately.

Hey how does that synthetic winch line work in logging?  Does it get snagged on branches or anything?  We were just talking about which winch line to use a couple months ago on here.

1 hour ago, JustRandy said:

Bayou was my first also.  I did a lot with it.  A lot more than I should have lol

Yours looks a heck of a lot better than mine did.  My was green.  I should probably post some pics.  Been meaning to just been busy lately.

Hey how does that synthetic winch line work in logging?  Does it get snagged on branches or anything?  We were just talking about which winch line to use a couple months ago on here.

Thanks, it looked like it had been drug out of the woods when I got it. It ran but smoked worse than my wood stove with a load of coal. That was a trail toy and the winch was for getting unstuck, I was good at the getting stuck part. I  don't remember it snagging much, but it didn't appreciate sliding over stuff, no wear strength like steel cable. Run ot through a snatch block and keep it off stuff and it wears well. Strong as the dickens. I don't remember the exact breaking point but it was in the tens of thousands. The body was a lucky score. Loved the Dynema! No recoil if it broke, light and flexible, it wouldn't bite your finger at the slightest chance.The main thing I found was you had to be careful reeling it in. If you didn't keep it tight and laying right it would burn it. Maybe not the right word but dick it up.

9 hours ago, JustRandy said:

How do you normally use a winch for logging? I would have a seperate strap if possible so as not to Frey the line regardless of material but I'd say the synthetic is a huge leap over cable, I have yet to jab myself on frayed bits lol, also doesn't rust and it really is just as strong, ive pulled some massive trees out of creeks with it. Wrong post but I mention these larger rims and tires in another post and couldn't find the pic at the time, 26 kenda executions on 12" steep itp deltas, fkn nightmare mounting them

20220321_192213.jpg

20221121_175401.jpg

Edited by Kibblesnbits

6 hours ago, JustRandy said:

Would you use synthetic again or go back to steel?  I'm rough on cable.  It's not just for getting me unstuck but pulling trees down and anything else that needs pulled.

I will indeed. When I get to having a winch again. If dragging something I'd make sure to bight the log with a chain, won't hurt that sliding over rocks. I usually wrap a choker if it won't see rocks or gravel. The biggest thing to watch in my opinion is keeping the wrap tight. If it loose it pulls between the lays and can be a bi*** to get back out.

41 minutes ago, Kibblesnbits said:

How do you normally use a winch for logging? I would have a seperate strap if possible so as not to Frey the line regardless of material but I'd say the synthetic is a huge leap over cable, I have yet to jab myself on frayed bits lol, also doesn't rust and it really is just as strong, ive pulled some massive trees out of creeks with it. Wrong post but I mention these larger rims and tires in another post and couldn't find the pic at the time, 26 kenda executions on 12" steep itp deltas, fkn nightmare mounting them

20220321_192213.jpg

20221121_175401.jpg

Wow those are some serious tires.

13 minutes ago, Jim Denton said:

I will indeed. When I get to having a winch again. If dragging something I'd make sure to bight the log with a chain, won't hurt that sliding over rocks. I usually wrap a choker if it won't see rocks or gravel. The biggest thing to watch in my opinion is keeping the wrap tight. If it loose it pulls between the lays and can be a bi*** to get back out.

Wow those are some serious tires.

They grab hard, gave me a bit more clearance and the rims gave me a bit wider stance, really dialed this machine up to 11, we got a swamp path outback that's so wallered out we haven't been able to cross it in 2 years, she marched right thru it like a boss, cant run in the higher gears any more but I never really did in the first place. The seudo lockers I got really come in clutch for the deep stuff too. She also needs a rebuild atm tho :/ my lift has a waiting list lol 

• Like 1

How do you normally use a winch for logging?

I use it to pull down trees then winch the cable from under the debris.  I could see a cable made from fabric getting snagged like that.  Also if a tree sits down on my chainsaw bar I use the winch to tug on the tree.  I'm also worried about the stretch of synthetic.  The steel has no stretch which makes it easy to make small adjustments to the force I'm applying.  I also use a lot of snatch blocks.

I have a way of keeping it reeled up nice so it doesn't have too many hand pokes, but I'm used to it if it happens.  My biggest gripe is my hands get dirty because I keep the cable oiled.

You really should get a wedge Randy..  That's the safe way to get trees down.  They don't fall on your bike then.. while you are on it operating the winch. They make small wedges for small trees.

It's illegal for loggers to use a winch to nudge trees down over here.. for good reason.

2 hours ago, JustRandy said:

You use synthetic line for that?

Oh I been meaning to ask if you had any ginseng up in those hills.  I used to watch Appalachian Outlaws.  Too bad they only made 2 seasons of it, 

I plan on it. You just have to not rub anything. Most things would be straight and easy, snatch blocks can hang 3 feet up or whatever you need. Change directions, gives so many options. Just down to where I can use the baby tractor to pull it on out. I  am planning an easy change rear hitch. Just a 2" receiver. A hook, a ball really all I'll need. The splitter will come to the wood, the split will ride the trailer back to the fire shed. Getting excited, I want to put a battery in it bad. Hard to get out to the shop, but got the tank drained, and the petcock off so I can clean it out. Got a gallon or so of weed killer. 

Not so many hills here so I can get right next to the tree and saw it into logs then load them into a trailer.  Then I stack the logs until summer when I split and stack them up.  They're easier to split after they dry a little.  Then by November they're ready to burn.  The hardest part of the whole deal is getting the tree on the ground without destroying other trees.  That's where the winch usually comes in.  I'm trying to cut down the sweetgums without destroying oaks, poplars, maples, fruit trees, or anything else.  Sweetgum is the most worthless wood.  Good for nothing except firewood so I'm trying to be rid of it a little more each year.

When I cut a tree it doesn't fall to the ground but instead leans on another tree because the trees are so densely packed.  Sometimes the tree doesn't come off the stump so I'm prying with long prybars or pulling with winches.  When I finally get it off the stump I cut about 4 ft from the bottom until it rocks over and stabs itself into the ground while ejecting the log.  I repeat until it falls over onto another tree on the opposite side.  I keep going like that until nothing is left but a stack of logs.  The New Zealand Nannies would have a cow if they saw what I do LOL!  I also ride without helmets and I roofed houses for a decade.  Sometimes life isn't about safety.  And I'm glad in this country I'm allowed to take all the risks I want.  Even if I weren't allowed I'd do it anyway.... it just adds that much more risk to it ;)