Quantcast

1987 Kawasaki Bayou 300 Bogging

I have a kawasaki klf 300b 1987 and when i got it originally from a friend it was sitting for like 10 years and of course it didn't run so i went through the steps of fixing it. Had good compression and clean carb but i wasnt getting any spark. I went through the steps of fixing that and turns out the cdi box was bad, so i replaced that and got spark so i started her up and she was a little scared at first but slowly broke in and idled perfectly fine. But everytime i gave it any gas it would just bog out completely so i had it idling and sprayed starter fluid into the intake to see if it would rev up, but it did the opposite and died out. I think it might be something to do with the spark since after that i took it out and it was wet. Im guessing its not sparking at higher rpms but i have no idea how to fix that since ive never had that issue before, keep in mind ive cleaned the carb maybe 5 different times with a supersonic cleaner and put needles through all the wholes. Someone please help me out with this old *** atv

• Admin changed the title to 1987 Kawasaki Bayou 300 Bogging

What's the "it" that you unplugged ?
The "it" sounds like what needs fixing..

From another site Gw.. 

He unplugged the park brake switch or the regulator, and it seems to have made it run better.. or possibly right...

It will be interesting if it's the brake switch, because I can't see any connection in the wiring diagram..  Hmm.

Just checked the wiring diagram, parking brake switch is not in the ignition circuit only in the starting circuit along with the neutral switch, bypasses neutral switch to let you start it in gear ,the regulator rectifier, if not covering AC to DC could have some effect, you can check that while its running, see what voltage you are getting at the battery.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gwbarm said:

Just checked the wiring diagram, parking brake switch is not in the ignition circuit only in the starting circuit along with the neutral switch, bypasses neutral switch to let you start it in gear ,the regulator rectifier, if not covering AC to DC could have some effect, you can check that while its running, see what voltage you are getting at the battery.

Can you send me the diagram your looking at? Because my neutral switch is working, “if it wasnt it wouldnt turn on” theres also no parking brake switch that i know of. Ive seen a video of the same problem im having and to test the rectifier just unplug it, so i did to no luck:(

There was a thread in here briefly this morning, and old thread, in which someone had the similar symptoms and cured it by fixing some problem with the park brake switch. Someone this morning explained that kawasaki had that feature..  a rev limiter if the park brake was on.

Seemed unlikely but like you Gw I looked at the wiring..  didn't seem to be any connection. Perhaps the original poster in the old thread had incidentally fixed the problem and the brake light switch wasn't really the cure, and this morning's poster was wrong..

I'll let you know what Yoshi says in the other forum if it doesn't come out in here..

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mech said:

There was a thread in here briefly this morning, and old thread, in which someone had the similar symptoms and cured it by fixing some problem with the park brake switch. Someone this morning explained that kawasaki had that feature..  a rev limiter if the park brake was on.

Seemed unlikely but like you Gw I looked at the wiring..  didn't seem to be any connection. Perhaps the original poster in the old thread had incidentally fixed the problem and the brake light switch wasn't really the cure, and this morning's poster was wrong..

I'll let you know what Yoshi says in the other forum if it doesn't come out in here..

Sorry about all the confusion, just stressed out about it. Im the type of guy that cant sleep when i got a non functional vehicle😅

" ive seen that if u unplug it then it stops it from messing things up and then i tried that still no work ".

" Oh my bad for not specifying that. The rectifier is what “it” is. I seen a video about the same problem im having and that guys problem was that and so was the comments aswell, i was thinking that theres something happening when the flywheel starts to spin faster, maybe the pickup coil is bad at high rpms, i also want to add that im running it without the airfilter because it was rotted away with time and some articles ive read say that that can cause the issue but from my experience it never has ".

Doh..  just remembered Gw..  haha.. It's in that other site.

Oh it's over in another site Gw.. which I thought you visited.. must be mistaken about that.

It turns out that it's been run without any battery in it, and the regulator is attached with a zip tie, and it has no air-filter..  So hardly surprising it's bedevilled with problems.. All good though. We had a laugh and Yoshi is going to get onto things..  haha.

Hopefully it will be ok once things are back to as designed.

• Thanks 1