Quantcast

1987 Kawasaki Bayou 300 Bogging

I have a kawasaki klf 300b 1987 and when i got it originally from a friend it was sitting for like 10 years and of course it didn't run so i went through the steps of fixing it. Had good compression and clean carb but i wasnt getting any spark. I went through the steps of fixing that and turns out the cdi box was bad, so i replaced that and got spark so i started her up and she was a little scared at first but slowly broke in and idled perfectly fine. But everytime i gave it any gas it would just bog out completely so i had it idling and sprayed starter fluid into the intake to see if it would rev up, but it did the opposite and died out. I think it might be something to do with the spark since after that i took it out and it was wet. Im guessing its not sparking at higher rpms but i have no idea how to fix that since ive never had that issue before, keep in mind ive cleaned the carb maybe 5 different times with a supersonic cleaner and put needles through all the wholes. Someone please help me out with this old *** atv

• Admin changed the title to 1987 Kawasaki Bayou 300 Bogging

What's the "it" that you unplugged ?
The "it" sounds like what needs fixing..

From another site Gw.. 

He unplugged the park brake switch or the regulator, and it seems to have made it run better.. or possibly right...

It will be interesting if it's the brake switch, because I can't see any connection in the wiring diagram..  Hmm.

Just checked the wiring diagram, parking brake switch is not in the ignition circuit only in the starting circuit along with the neutral switch, bypasses neutral switch to let you start it in gear ,the regulator rectifier, if not covering AC to DC could have some effect, you can check that while its running, see what voltage you are getting at the battery.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gwbarm said:

Just checked the wiring diagram, parking brake switch is not in the ignition circuit only in the starting circuit along with the neutral switch, bypasses neutral switch to let you start it in gear ,the regulator rectifier, if not covering AC to DC could have some effect, you can check that while its running, see what voltage you are getting at the battery.

Can you send me the diagram your looking at? Because my neutral switch is working, “if it wasnt it wouldnt turn on” theres also no parking brake switch that i know of. Ive seen a video of the same problem im having and to test the rectifier just unplug it, so i did to no luck:(

There was a thread in here briefly this morning, and old thread, in which someone had the similar symptoms and cured it by fixing some problem with the park brake switch. Someone this morning explained that kawasaki had that feature..  a rev limiter if the park brake was on.

Seemed unlikely but like you Gw I looked at the wiring..  didn't seem to be any connection. Perhaps the original poster in the old thread had incidentally fixed the problem and the brake light switch wasn't really the cure, and this morning's poster was wrong..

I'll let you know what Yoshi says in the other forum if it doesn't come out in here..

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mech said:

There was a thread in here briefly this morning, and old thread, in which someone had the similar symptoms and cured it by fixing some problem with the park brake switch. Someone this morning explained that kawasaki had that feature..  a rev limiter if the park brake was on.

Seemed unlikely but like you Gw I looked at the wiring..  didn't seem to be any connection. Perhaps the original poster in the old thread had incidentally fixed the problem and the brake light switch wasn't really the cure, and this morning's poster was wrong..

I'll let you know what Yoshi says in the other forum if it doesn't come out in here..

Sorry about all the confusion, just stressed out about it. Im the type of guy that cant sleep when i got a non functional vehicle😅

" ive seen that if u unplug it then it stops it from messing things up and then i tried that still no work ".

" Oh my bad for not specifying that. The rectifier is what “it” is. I seen a video about the same problem im having and that guys problem was that and so was the comments aswell, i was thinking that theres something happening when the flywheel starts to spin faster, maybe the pickup coil is bad at high rpms, i also want to add that im running it without the airfilter because it was rotted away with time and some articles ive read say that that can cause the issue but from my experience it never has ".

Doh..  just remembered Gw..  haha.. It's in that other site.

Oh it's over in another site Gw.. which I thought you visited.. must be mistaken about that.

It turns out that it's been run without any battery in it, and the regulator is attached with a zip tie, and it has no air-filter..  So hardly surprising it's bedevilled with problems.. All good though. We had a laugh and Yoshi is going to get onto things..  haha.

Hopefully it will be ok once things are back to as designed.

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By BenJammin
      I did a compression test on my 2005 Bombardier Traxter 650 CVT and it's 75 PSI.  service manual only talks about leak down test.  No specification for engine compression the manual.  What does 75 PSI tell me?  Thank in advance.

A little history of this machine.  640 miles.  Picked it up about 2 years ago, not running. Probably the computer.  Tested all circuits and confirm it was the computer.  Long story short, I watched a Youtube video and fixed the computer. ATV now started and runs.  BUT, it tops out 20 MPH.  I cleaned the carb 3 times also using a Mikuni carb kit after the second time.  Slide in carb is going up and down.  Only adjustment for fuel is at 1.5 turns out.  NGK Sparkplug had soot on main part but brown on the electrode.  Champion sparkplug is brown.  I check CVT clutches and they both appear to engage like they suppose to.  Checked valve clearance it's 0.00, I can't get any feeler gauges in-between.  I check timing chain I believe it's in the correct position and hasn't skipped.  I removed muffler plug and drilled into muffler to try and make sure it wasn't plugged.
    • By Mhatayas
      My uncle bought a Baja 250, 2006. Knew there was no spark since the get go. He don't know anything about quads so is getting me to help him try to get it running...

battery is bad so I connected battery charger to it to crank it over , cranks over well , but no spark .... 
      Lights and everything work fine , but with each crank over using the e start switch , the display reads 999 888 777 666 ... Right down to 000 and repeats itself . 

He managed to get a parts bike , I changed over the CDI and the coil and the stator from the parts bike and there was another black box by the voltage regulator I changed over ... I used my multimeter to confirm as much as I could works , it's hard without knowing which wires are which , and I cannot find any diagrams online for this bike ? 

Do you think it could be the Killswitch? There's so many wires coming from there I don't know where to start . Also I should mention it appears the fan on the front of the bike has been taken off (the wires have been cut too ) 

If this bike sparked it would run . The previous owner said he parked it one day and it just wouldn't start after.
    • By Uglyside38
      I have a 1988 Quadrunner 250 2wd. My brother in law sold it to my son for $20...had been sitting outside for several years. Got it home and had it running in about 30 mins. Ran it a bit and then went to looking at the carb as it was having trouble idling. Was getting it pretty close, then started losing spark...Also, it wouldn't start up every time...only about 1 in 5 tries. Anyway...now, it has what I can only describe as "intermittent" spark. I can get 1 light spark right when the start button is pressed and sometimes one when it's released...but none while cranking. 🤷‍♂️

I have replaced the spark plug, ignition coil/wire, and traced wires best I can. I noticed a couple frayed wires at the pickup coil where it enters the case. So, now I have the cover off, stator and pickup coil out and trying to test the coil. I do have about 114 ohms resistance for pickup best I can tell. And I can read minute voltage when I drag a magnet across it. Could it still be bad? Can a bad ignition switch/button cause this? (I did have the switch off to oil the choke cable)...pulling rope makes no difference though...any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!!! It's the intermittent part that's throwing me off! 

• By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????
    • By ResQ91
      Hi Guys!

New member and could really use your advice. I would have to believe this has been an issue for others but a search here came up with nothing......? (Probably me not doing search correctly)

I have an 87 Big Bear 350 YFM350FWT
      The OEM Mikuni BTM carb is shot and would rather replace than rebuild.
      It is no longer made and I have had good luck with NICHE carbs so I ordered a #K-CRB-0006 This was what they said was replacement when ordered. This Carb only uses 1 Throttle cable. The Slide is linked so it uses one. (OEM had 2nd cable coming through top to move slide)

Problem is when I ordered a replacement Cable from NICHE (#C-CBL-0061) the Cable wire is a little short, not allowing Throttle to return all the way down to Idle position. I called NICHE and they are at a loss. Haven't gotten back to me after 2+ weeks.

What would you recommend other than a carb rebuild?
      Can I just use 1 of the OEM cables (It is the right length) and snip/disconnect the other that went to top of Carb for Slide?
      Or ??

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

Dave