Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

New 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 550

Ajmboy

media_content_unit01828a570f.jpg

2009 Grizzly 550 FI Auto. 4x4

The 500cc class has a new leader, with a fully featured package based on its best-selling bigger brother, the Grizzly 700 FI, with a new 558cc powerplant and excellent value.

Electronic fuel injection means instantaneous cold starts and optimal performance in nearly any condition, from below sea level to 15,000 feet.

Industry-exclusive, fully automatic Ultramatic® transmission is the most advanced drive system in ATV-ing. An automatic centrifugal clutch maintains constant belt tension for reduced belt wear and industry-exclusive all-wheel downhill engine braking.

Industry-exclusive, three-position On-Command® In/Out RWD feature lets you switch between 2WD, limited-slip 4WD and fully locked differential 4WD—all with a simple push of a button.

Fully independent long-travel four-wheel suspension features double-wishbone suspension front and rear for maximum control and comfort over rough terrain.

Trick digital instrument panel boasts a multifunction LCD display with speedometer, odometer, dual tripmeter, hourmeter that counts hours that the engine is running, 4WD status, transmission position, clock and fuel gauge.

09OD_Grizzly550_grn_S1_e7668aba.jpg

So now Yamaha has Grizzlys 125, 350, 450, 550, 700

Also available 4x4 EPS Special Edition.

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 550 FI Auto. 4x4 EPS Special Edition

And yet, Kawasaki refuses to make a 450-550cc quad. Yamaha is DOMINATING the 4x4 industry right now...they without a doubt have the most complete line in my opinion. Many different models, each one is reliable, fun, and strong...Yamaha listens to the people.
I totally disagree about DOMINATING the 4x4s. I say they are doing a good job of keeping up with Artic Cat and Polaris line up.What would make Yamaha even better is More 5 Speed Trannies!!!!

polaris has a new 550 also. i think it has EPS too.

face it buckbilly.

auto is the future of utilities.

No, automatics are now! How many utility quads out there have manuals, or even semi-manuals? Exactly. There's a reason. Manuals/semi-manuals may be more rider-friendly, but autos are easier to use and to operate.

BuckBilly, I meant Yamaha has the entire model range covered, and covered well. Arctic Cat's smaller utility quads (under the 400, which is a great machine itself) aren't too good, and Polaris has its issued too (not just the weight or reliability).

polaris has a new 550 also. i think it has EPS too.

face it buckbilly.

auto is the future of utilities.

Not going to face. I will quit atving if they all go rubberband granny tranny! That reason right there is what made me such a Honda fan. Yamaha and Suzuki have both kept a 400 class 5 speed and sells of The 400 KingQuad and 400 Big Bear justify there place in the market place.You want to knock Honda out of #1 in sales , build a 5 speed or an auto/or option to shift like the Hondamatics.

The Rancher line is what keeps Honda on top!

Yamaha keeps the 400 big bear, because it has out standing sale in nine states!

Not picking on you rubber band lovers but, would you trust a rubber band tranny in a truck or car?

How come we can't the best of both worlds? Auto or the option to shift in one tranny. I say that is needed more than just an auto or 5 speed.

i love semi autos too.

but every company will go rubber band before its over.

I use to be dead set against anything with the rubber band. Back in '03 I was shopping for a new machine and rode them all. I liked the Popo's the best but went with the Honda Foreman anyway because it had the semi auto. A short time later my dad traded his little Honda Fourtrax 2x4 for a 400 Polaris Sportsman. We rode side by side mile after mile and trip after trip. He could out run my 450, go places I couldn't, it was WAY better in the mud,and it also rode WAY better. I had always heard these horrible stories about the Popo's being junk because of the belt, that machine never one time faultered. Well needless to say the machine changed my mind about the dreaded rubber band! I agree with Buck though, I don't see Honda ever going to the belt system.

I'm not bashing Honda, I think they're a great quad but that 400 Popo proved to me that the rubber band was ok! Kinda like ol' Ron Popiel, "set it AND...forget it".:yes:

I'm a fan of semi-autos as well (brother has an Ozark), but put simply, I don't think there's a huge market for semi-autos any more. Most people are getting into autos for the ease of use and rideability. I love having an auto on my Brute Force...I think it would be outrageous to have a semi-manual/manual on it because of how much power there would be to control.

I'm a fan of semi-autos as well (brother has an Ozark), but put simply, I don't think there's a huge market for semi-autos any more. Most people are getting into autos for the ease of use and rideability. I love having an auto on my Brute Force...I think it would be outrageous to have a semi-manual/manual on it because of how much power there would be to control.
I disagree about not a huge market. The honda rancher line sales are more than most other manufacturers complete line up sales.I guess what burns my A$$ about rubber band trannies is you need a clutch kit to get the full ability of you tranny. The only belt drives I have not riden before and after a clutch kit is the Brute Force 750 EFI, Outlander 400 threw 800, 700 Grizz as of 08 models. None I would by without a clutch kit. Polaris or Cat would be my only choices. 680 Rincon is my first choice.

I agree BB that a clutch kit will unlock hidden potential but the same can be said about upgrading exhaust,air intake,carb,and many other things that can up the performance on a machine. I don't think any machine in stock form is giving all that it's able to.
I think a clutch kit is the best bang for the buck. All other mods are good to .