Quantcast

Rhino Nation

Ajmboy

Good Article:

Rhino Nation

UTV's popularity came from a small, innovative off-road concept.

History is full of stories about products originally introduced for a limited audience that unexpectedly caught fire with larger markets. A prime example is when Apple I was built in the 1970s. It was intended as a gaming platform for computer nerds. Only later did the inventors—Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak—realize the impact their invention had on millions of consumers.

The story is repeated when Yamaha introduced the Rhino, a side-by-side whose instant popularity seems to have surpassed even the wildest expectations of its creators. Until the Rhino came along, UTVs emphasized utility and were intended primarily for work rather than play. Yamaha drew on its many years of off-road motorcycle and ATV expertise, infusing the new Rhino with healthy doses of sport and recreation capability and serious off-road prowess. The combination was magic and a new class of fun-to-drive, sporty compact utility vehicles was born.

The Rhino was an immediate hit and a hot commodity at Yamaha dealers, which shouldn't come as a surprise since it is the brainchild of the creative team at the Yamaha Motor Manufacturing facility in Newman, Georgia. "Every Rhino built comes out of our Georgia manufacturing plant," says Van Holmes, public relations manager for Yamaha ATV and side-by-sides. "The Rhino was conceived, created, tested and is still built in Newnan. Our facilities in Georgia are absolutely critical to the Rhino's success and development, because it's based on how we use the vehicles here in the United States. It's not only an asset for the North American market, but for Yamaha worldwide."

The original Rhino shared primary mechanical components with the muscular Grizzly 660 4x4 ATV, which is also manufactured at the plant in Newman. Powered by the Grizzly's liquid-cooled 660cc SOHC five-valve four-stroke engine featuring a V-belt "Ultramatic" transmission with high range, low range, and reverse, the 660 Rhino offered plenty of punch for off-road fun and adventures. Ultramatic maintains a constant belt tension, which delivers quick throttle response, reduces wear, and allows downhill compression braking. The fully-independent front and rear suspension with upper and lower A-arms is Grizzly inspired as well. Yamaha followed the highly successful Rhino 660 with a lower price-point and more fuel efficient 450 model in 2007 and a more powerful fuel-injected 700 FI in 2008.

Read more....

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By fishhouse3
      FOR SALE: 2021 CFMOTO ZForce 800 Trail with many extras and full warranty until 2027. Only 625 miles and 50 hours of use.
      In great condition, has a clean title and one adult owner. Has had all scheduled regular maintenance and has not been abused. Only used about six times on weekend trips to Hatfield-McCoy trails in WV.
      Under full CFMOTO Care bumper-to-bumper extended warranty until 8/2027 (paid $1,600). Full service and tune up just completed with new clutch, drive shaft, belt, rollers, etc (paid $1500). Plus it comes with over $3,500 in upgrades and accessories! Way too many included items to list here (see last pics for full details).
      This machine is ready to go and needs nothing - just hop in and hit the trails!  I have over $20k invested in this machine. Priced VERY fair to sell quick at less than half that!!!
      $9,999 WITHOUT warranty -OR- $10,999 WITH full extended warranty until 8/2027.
      Located in Chesterfield, VA 23832. Message me for more pics and info!

• By Toni82
      I am looking Servce manual for my BRP, can any body send me it on my e-mail? Please.... I think that it's will be a long hard wway to do this ( But i want to do this by myself.
      Please send on my e-mail: [email protected].
    • By afa913
      Do the small 50cc's have a way to set the speed. Im wanting to get one for my kid and i need to set it to go slow. I know the chinese knock off fourwheelers do but i dont really want one of those
    • By Cobra_kai83
      The gas in the tank was bad so I drained it and put new fuel in. It still wouldn't run so I took the carb out and cleaned it. Re-installed the carb and now it will only start and run under full throttle. It also runs rough like this. The engine stops running once I back out to 1/4 throttle. What the heck is going on?
    • By mywifeknowseverythin
      :yes:In everyone's so Humble opinion.....If you had the Cash.....and you were in the market for Either an 08 or 09 Utility Quad......Which Manufacturer would you Flip your Mattress for????
      Post your Reasonings.......And Which Quad you would buy...
      At the end of this Poll.....We will take the best two......Then Poll them..... Which would make this a True.....This Vs. That.....