ok i need this question answer quickly before i might make a fool of myself. my friend is picking up a 2008 honda recon 420 tomarrow and i dont know if i should race him or not. im pretty sure i would beat him but just going here to have some questions answered first.

1) obviously, he will beat me on the trails. but any hint on how to outrun him making him feel like an idiot?

2) any mods i might want to get before i race him? nothing toooo expensive

3)do you think i will win or not? im a pretty good rider and he used to have a big bear 400 that he rode like once a month and never got out of 3rd gear, so hes not the greatest rider. like they say. its the rider that wins the race, not the bike

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

Im not a Quad guy....Thats pretty well known......LOL....

However,,,,,Ive been around Lots of Blasters.....Most of them Modded to the hilt....Not sure if Ive ever been near a Stock one..... Anyway,,,, 400cc 4 Stroke Vs. 200CC 2 Stroke Motor to motor is pretty Even.....Now add the Weight of Rider and The rest of the Quad and there is where you will Gain....Lots of Races are Won in the HOLESHOT.....Straight line races that is.....I think you will take it.....

Just remember......To make it fair....Have a 3rd person Do the Hand Drop.....and another at the end to Judge......:yes:

300Ft is a Common Drag length for ATV's...:wink:

You should be able to accelerate faster than him. You should have no problem.

its cause we are going on a ride with a bunch of people next weekend and i wanna show him up. he weighs about 150 and im about 125.

i dunno how its going to react. been verrrrrry boggy. today it died in the woods and i had to tow it with the sunl all the way up a hill about 2 miles

I want to see pictures of a 420 Recon. Never seen a 420 Recon before.

i meant 420 rubicon. and no. i have not cleaned my new K&N air filter seince i got it a while ago

This will have nothing to do with your current issue but a K&N style filter lets larger particles through. You should run a pre filter. It is just a bag that goes over your filter.

What kind of oil do you run? As long as it's 2 stroke oil that you are mixing I don't think it would make it bog. Will it start, does it idle or immediately start bogging down?

castrol snowmobile oil. im pretty sure it wont make a difference. it starts on the 1-3 kick and it has no idle and when i start going, it bogs alotttt until i get into 2nd gear and start really ripping it.

I would have to say some thing in the carb for sure. Have you ever took your carb apart to clean it?

no sir. im afraid to i dont want to break it

here is some pictures of the carb. i hope these will help with the idle and the bogging

Picture022.jpg

Picture023.jpg

I will see what I can come up with or who I can get some info from.

ok thanks alot. tons of other things to fix on the blaster today. give it a good wash and such

I got some emails going out to all of my mechanic buddies.

first thing i always do is find the drain plug in the carb located at the bottom of it and drain it for a good 5 to 8 seconds and then run it see how it is..

there are 2 screws we found. one is on the top of the carb and it looks like it controls the throttle. there is another one on the side of the carb and i think it is the idle adjuster

hhmmm u dont see anything that looks like a cylinder 1/4 inch prob shorter with a screw on it??? if not i know that a couple people on her have used carb clean i havent but im sure someone will chime in...