Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Chattanooga new need advice

darkstar

Right on , glad to have found this . My wife and i are lookin into new stuff to do.We are both pretty fit, We both hike rockclimb go mountain climbing all kinds of crazy out door stuff.

im getting on up there , 43 and my fingers arent as strong as they used to be , plus after 23 years of rock climbing im kinda getting bored with it.

This place , Chattanooga Tennessee is supposed to be awesome for ATVing , i actually live in suck creek.

Any given week end i see many many atv folks going past my place up into prentice cooper to ride.

So my questions to get started, we are wondering is it farily fun for two people to ride on one atv.

Or should we get two ?

There are alot of minor stream crossings around here, the best ride being coppinger cove.

What size atv will i need for four feet deep of water ?

We can ride it when water level is low so no biggie there.

What should i go for ?

I figure start we start with one and then if we really get into it i could buy another one.

I dont want to spend much over 3k on our first one.

Any and all reccomendations and or advice greatly appreciated.

Dark

Just looking to have fun with the wife out doors.:cute:

So much for sale out there , and deals everywhere.

Being newbie's we are lost.

I recon we need at least 400 cc engine.

But ive seen some atv's w/ with 250 cc that looked like they would get us around.

For sure im looking for reliability with our first purchase.

If you get stuck or broke down around here you have no time till your atv is gone .

No what i meen?

For utility and your price range . I would recommend the 250 Honda Recon or the 250 Suzuki Ozark for the 250cc range. I have had my Ozark all over the moutains of Kentucky.I also recommend them for the easy maintance of each to.Here is a link to my garage.http://www.quadcrazy.com/user/subprofile/name_BuckBilly/

Edited by BuckBilly

Cool for the record i meant we are rock climbers who climb rock with our bodies , fingers etc... .

Not like alot of folk i see here who rock crawl with frigged out machines.

Sorry if i threw any one off.

But we still want to get into ATV ing

So Buckbilly you reccomend we start with two machines???

You won't find a 2 seater in your price range. The models that BuckBilly recommended are solid choices. They are both machines that can take a beating and keep on going.

I was just mentioning they 2 seaters for future reference. 99.9% of quads will say that they are unsafe for 2 people and not recommended. Use common sense when riding double. Just remember the whole physics thing and center of gravity and you will be fine.

Do you and you wife a favor and DO NOT ride with out helmets.

Yeah we would ride with helmets bro.

Deffinatly.

I am only thinking of exploring not riding fast and all that jazz.

Everybody here seems to ride honda formans.

Mostly hunters.

Since i run a tree service there are many uses for a atv.

I run mini skid steer loaders and full size ones to.

I was just learning that atv's can have so may attachments .

Thats cool ,

I got this artuculating loader that is a PITA to transport , a good strong 4 wheel drive atv and a log sled might eleminate that.

Anyhow my wife wouldnt let be drive above maybe 35 mph at most on a straight level paved road.

Im thinking get a solid atv i can use for us riding and buisness and then get a second one for the fun stuff.

I like the idea of having two since we can ride out if one breaks down.

I really appreciate the advice .

If riding double will a 250 cc machine even cut it at very slow speeds?

Because thats what ill go for and then add another one.

I can bend my budget if i can figure out what we will run the most.

I keep thinking but one, at a good price ride double alot .

Then sale it, buy two and ride forever.

ATVing is a sport that can be enjoyed by the person who likes to go balls out or the person that likes to cruise at 5mph and take in the scenery...and everything in between. A 250 would have enough power to move the both of you no problem. You might also want to check out a 400 seeing how you would want to use it for work as well. The best thing you could do is go to a dealer and just test ride a 250 and mid-range machine.(400-500) Stick with the Utility side of the sport for your needs.

Welcome to the community!

All great advice posted. In your price range, it will be difficult to find something new with what you need. I went from a Kawasaki Bayou 220, to a Yamaha Kodiak 450, to a Suzuki King Quad 700 all within 3 years, because I just felt like I out grew them one by one.

I've had plenty of passengers even on the Bayou, but nothing carried 2 passengers better than more power and 4WD. Eventually you'll want to ride solo.

I would probably try and find a used 450-550 4WD utility atv to start. You should be able to find something decent for under 3k. I think that if you go with anything lower than that with 2 people, you will regret it, when it comes time to climb those hills and cross those streams. I would search on Craigslist.

Here are some pics for $2-3500 in your area:

2005 honda rancher 350

Suzuki Quad Master 500 4x4 auto

2004 Honds Rancher 400 ATV (LIKE NEW) - $3500

2005 HONDA FOREMAN 500-------MUST SELL!!!!

Cool for the record i meant we are rock climbers who climb rock with our bodies , fingers etc... .

Not like alot of folk i see here who rock crawl with frigged out machines.

Sorry if i threw any one off.

But we still want to get into ATV ing

So Buckbilly you reccomend we start with two machines???

For sakety reasons I recommend 2 atvs, but like StoopidBot said you can ride double if you use your head. I recommended the 250 Recon and 250 Ozark, because they are the best of the 250cc class. Given the time of year you should be able to get the dealer to give you a better price on a new one. Recon and Ozark are about $3600 new.

100_1462.jpg

The one on the left is an 07 Honda 250 Recon ES(electric shift). The one on the right is a 02 Suzkui 250 Ozark.

Welcome to the community!

All great advice posted. In your price range, it will be difficult to find something new with what you need. I went from a Kawasaki Bayou 220, to a Yamaha Kodiak 450, to a Suzuki King Quad 700 all within 3 years, because I just felt like I out grew them one by one.

I've had plenty of passengers even on the Bayou, but nothing carried 2 passengers better than more power and 4WD. Eventually you'll want to ride solo.

I would probably try and find a used 450-550 4WD utility atv to start. You should be able to find something decent for under 3k. I think that if you go with anything lower than that with 2 people, you will regret it, when it comes time to climb those hills and cross those streams. I would search on Craigslist.

Here are some pics for $2-3500 in your area:

2005 honda rancher 350

Suzuki Quad Master 500 4x4 auto

2004 Honds Rancher 400 ATV (LIKE NEW) - $3500

2005 HONDA FOREMAN 500-------MUST SELL!!!!

Which one of those nis the best deal ?:cute:

Which one of those nis the best deal ?:cute:

That Honda Foreman on the bottom I think would fit exactly what you want. Plus it already has the extra seat for your wife. When she is ready to be on her own or you guys are ready to purchase another, the Honda will offer what you want and possibly more.

Another big + is that it's a Honda. They live forever.

That Honda Foreman on the bottom I think would fit exactly what you want. Plus it already has the extra seat for your wife. When she is ready to be on her own or you guys are ready to purchase another, the Honda will offer what you want and possibly more.

Another big + is that it's a Honda. They live forever.

Yeah but its only two wheel drive

I see you're in the Chattanooga area also. Welcome. My wife and I are newbies also to ATVs but my son-in-law has been on one for years. We've been to Prentice Cooper a few times and I'm looking for some more trails. Know of any? I wonder if there's a decent ATV 'club' in Chattanooga?

As far as the ATV goes....I've done quite a bit of research and ended up with a 2004 Honda Rubicon. 500cc, AT w/ESP, 4wd. So far, so good. One piece of advice I'd give is to ride one with AT before you buy. Once you do I think you'll love it. I do know that a 400cc Honda got my wife and I around without any problems.

Also, if you're looking for a good ATV (Hondas), my son-in-law will be selling one of his soon. ...and they're well kept. Give a yell.

Thanks

Glad to see another Tennessean on here. I would suggest if you are going to try and ride two up "doubling" that you get at least a 300. I definitely would go with a used quad first until you see if you like it. I have had nothing but used quads and have done very well with them. None of my ATVs are 4x4 and I have no trouble going just about anywhere a 4x4 can go. I usually just have to go a little faster. I really all depends on the type of riding your trying to do. From what you have said I would think that a 2X4 would be perfect for you to get your first experience. Glad you found us here at Quad Crazy and hope you grow to love riding as much as we do. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Glad to see another Tennessean on here. I would suggest if you are going to try and ride two up "doubling" that you get at least a 300. I definitely would go with a used quad first until you see if you like it. I have had nothing but used quads and have done very well with them. None of my ATVs are 4x4 and I have no trouble going just about anywhere a 4x4 can go. I usually just have to go a little faster. I really all depends on the type of riding your trying to do. From what you have said I would think that a 2X4 would be perfect for you to get your first experience. Glad you found us here at Quad Crazy and hope you grow to love riding as much as we do. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

I agree with Scott. I'd go with at least a 400 if you're riding double. As far as the 4x4 I also agree with him. Two wheel drives will do a lot more than you'd think and they're cheaper. It was more of a phychological factor for me. I guess coming from the offroading in Jeeps sort of lean that direction.

well i recommend cats or something with beefy rear shocks.. cause if your gunna be ridding 2 up i would be cautious with the low ground clearance hondas have especially if your gunna be grossing deep water.. but hondas r tuff sobs and very reliable.. something 350 and above would get you guys around no problem.. r u looking for new or used.. if new i would go with BuckBillys idea but if you want a 4x4 you wont find any new for your price range.. i agree with scott but with the riding u described a 4x4 would be safer for that deep water

Edited by outlander560