Quantcast

Which year of the YFZ450 is better to you?

Speed_Demond

If u don't change the rings every 30 hours which is a season of riding u loose power I bet my newly ringed o4 will smoke that wore out yfz I bet he is running on half the power it should be. I would like to hook up a compression gage and see what it reads. Bet it says wore out! I would like every one to go get the facts so u quit giving out false info to people.And that's no bs.Yfz central is a good site but they are not engine builders like the people that I know we have seen a lot of yfz and I will bet that we have gained more info than some kid who goes to yfz central and asked a ? about yfz's. We know how many hours to put on a pistion because we have tore down a yfz at 30 hours and we have tore down a yfz with 60 hours the wear is bad real bad usually bad enough u need to have the jug recromed that means more money than just putting rings on it or do u like to spend money that u don't need to.At 30 hours u put new rings on the piston and put the jug back on unless u do alot of miss shifting then u have to replace the pistion to so remember every time u miss a gear it scares the pistion and cylinder wall.Also yamaha has just released some info on the yfz that I know u guys do not have yet U ARE TO RUN A QUART AND A HALF OF OIL instead of two quarts. And on the yfz CHANGE THE OIL EVERY TIME U GET DONE RIDING IT SOUNDS CRAZY WELL IT'S NOT. This info is coming straight from JSR Performance motor builder. It is making the motors last a little longer since u change the oil every ride no reason to buy high $ oil motor builders say to run castrol gtx.

To break in a yfz motor u only need to seet the pistion rings this takes a couple of hours of riding remember this motor is not a quad motors it is a race engine.And u have to treat it like one.When u get a brand new yfz I bet half of u broke it in wrong u ride it like u stole it to break it in then shut it down and cool it all the way down then do it agin. I wan't every one of u to keep a stop watch with u when u go ride and log the time u are actually running the motor 20 hours is alot of riding and be honest with me when u report back I bet 20 hours is all most all season.I would not be saying this if it was not true I'll be laughing here in a year or two when your motors start to fail because u don't do the proper mantance on the yfz.

I didn't even know you could buy gas in zimbabwe.

We were talking about replacing the piston every 20 hours, not the rings every 30. And if you are a YFZ expert, you know a compression test will not be very accurate. Obviously if you change the oil after every ride you will prevent some miniscule wear, but you will also get a longer life out of a machine if you rebuild it after every ride...both of which are not plausible or in any way necessary.

Anyway, your 04 probably did need replaced after 30 hours if you didn't do any kind of oil modification, but I'm sure you have another theory about that.

I guarantee you will not smoke me, and that's no BS, quit giving out false information.

Check stuff like Craigslist or yfzcentral's 'for sale, complete quads' section. With the economy in shambles, a lot of people have no choice but to dump off their quad. The yfz site has a lot that people get rid of each year, or when they get picked up by sponsors and don't have to buy anything themselves (lucky b@stards!).

Anyway, good luck and let us know how you make out man.

• 5 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Mikey69
      Heres my story. Kinda long. I guess I was a late bloomer when it comes to quads. I had never ridden a quad in my life. Rode Dirt Bikes as a kid growing up. Back in Oct of '06 I found a Mustang on craigslist. Took it for a test drive one morning before work. Fast car. 351 Cleveland. I had planned on meeting the guy again after work. For some strange reason thats still to this day beyond me, I stopped in Hillsboro MotoSports on the way home from work. I had 6 Grand on me. There was a left over '05 sitting by the front door. It was on sale for $4999. It was $5499 OTD. I didnt even look at anything else. I knew nothing about quads accept I thought it really looked coool and I had the money in my pocket to buy it. I was sitting on it when the salesman walked up and asked... "Can I help you?" Without hestitation I pulled 60 Ben Franklins outta my front pocket and said "I want this Quad. Load it up in my truck." It was just about dark by the time I drove away from the shop. BTW, I didnt bother to ask my ol lady if I could buy it. LOL. Anyway, I took it by the house and showed her. She was kinda stunned but not mad. We drove over to a friend of mines house and unloaded it. I took it to the field across the street from his house. HOLY CHIT!!!!! I was surprised by the power. I had it for about 2 weeks and took it to Sand Lake. I was there a few hours and rolled it on a banked turn at the top of the bowl right before you get to the one-ways. When it rolled, I flew off and landed on my belly. The quad came bouncing and landed on my back. For a month I couldnt even walk. I was scared of it. I considered trading it for a 250EX. Went back to the shop. The salesman said..."Dude!!! You dont want a 250EX!!! Trust me. Just get used to it" I still wasnt convinced. I put it on craigslist for $4000. Calls were coming in. I had a guy that wanted to come look at it that evening. I decided to take it for one last ride at Browns Camp before I sold it. I was still afraid of it. After about 5 minutes I started feeling comfortable on it again. I decided right then, I loved my Honda 450 and would learn how to ride it instead of selling it. That was late Nov of '06. Work was slow for a Painter in Oregon. My new job everyday? Going to Browns Camp and ridding my Quad. I bought my Girl Friend an '02 Blaster. I rode my 450 for 4-6 hours almost every single day for 3 months. And yes, I know my way around Browns Camp pretty well. LOL. In March I bought her an '06 TRX250EX (Thank God I didnt trade my 450 for one of those) LOL Since then, I have become totally addicted to quads. I love them. Couldnt imagine not owning at least one quad. Luckily I have two. My "07 was $6500 OTD in July of '07. Bought it for my Girlfriend. Traded in her 250 EX. A month later we broke up. So, I wound up with two Honda 450's.

• By Ajmboy
      What's the best kids atv out there? I've seen everything from the ones released by the major manufacturers to all those knock offs. Kawasaki has a KFX 50 that is pretty nice for under $1800...

• By Spritee1
      having an issue with the unit when running under a load up a hill or in high gear, seems like the belt is slipping, there is a clapping sound coming from the primary clutch like it releases and snaps back in. i don't think I should have a noise like that. this is a friends unit and he has already replaced the primary twice with the same result.
      not sure where to look next
    • By newguy024
      Just got into ATV riding just last week, never had much money so i couldnt afford to buy anthing, so now at the age of 34 i just bought a 1987 suzuki quadrunner 300 for 500$ took it out a few times and what a rush of excitement to go through that first mudhole haha!
    • By jatho
      What is the best engine oil to use for the Suzuki King Quad - also any other tips and tricks I should know before doing an oil change on these bikes